An Addition and a Change

bluedunn

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, MMM, Heavy Hitch Back Plow Blade
Aug 29, 2019
Thetford, VT
I definitely don’t need more lights on my BX, but I recently came across a fender light kit that I couldn’t pass up. So with an hour or so free, I put it on today.
B1C7C490-BE0B-4CDB-ACF4-53EC08DE6965.jpeg

I also made a small modification to my tire chains, which I’m hoping will keep them from falling between the treads.
F370F0DE-8C01-40AB-8745-0EBF91E15E40.jpeg

I used blue thread locker on the quick link threads. I’m hoping this will hold up.

Thanks for looking.

Reactions: 1 user

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I like the mod to the chains. I have been collecting & saving quick links to do the same thing with my chains. (if it ever snows enough here again!)

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Because by the time I realized that would probably work, I was too far along. 😊
I like that solution. Do you have to remove any of those quick links to take the chains off?

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Solution to what?

I don't understand the need for this mod.
If you read the whole thread you would have read that the OP was hoping that he could prevent the chains from falling in between his tire tread lugs. It looks like it will work for the result he wanted.

Reactions: 1 users

bluedunn

Equipment
Aug 29, 2019
Thetford, VT
If you read the whole thread you would have read that the OP was hoping that he could prevent the chains from falling in between his tire tread lugs. It looks like it will work for the result he wanted.
Yes, that’s the issue I was having. Hoping it will afford better traction on icy spots.

Orange1forme

Equipment
B2650 HSDC, filled tires, wheel spacers, B2728B , LA534A FEL, 3rd valve kit
Dec 1, 2018
Wa

I missed that, scrolled right past the text.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Yes, that’s the issue I was having. Hoping it will afford better traction on icy spots.
That is thinking outside the box for sure. I have the same problem with chains on my B2910 falling between the lugs on my R4 tires.

You may have given me a reason to put my chains back on! At least once I install wheel spaces, as the clearance between the tires and fenders is also an issue at my end...

Excellent solution. Maybe I could even make some links from 3/8 rebar and weld them shut to make the modification cheaper...you got my mind clicking now~

bluedunn

Equipment
Aug 29, 2019
Thetford, VT
That is thinking outside the box for sure. I have the same problem with chains on my B2910 falling between the lugs on my R4 tires.

You may have given me a reason to put my chains back on! At least once I install wheel spaces, as the clearance between the tires and fenders is also an issue at my end...

Excellent solution. Maybe I could even make some links from 3/8 rebar and weld them shut to make the modification cheaper...you got my mind clicking now~
Thanks, actually didn’t take that long. I didn’t realize how pricey those quick links could be and I definitely would have gone the welding route if I had the means and knowledge.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Thanks, actually didn’t take that long. I didn’t realize how pricey those quick links could be and I definitely would have gone the welding route if I had the means and knowledge.
I am thinking now that it might even be possible to use bolts and nuts, possible locked in place with red locktite or with the nut tacked to the end of the bolt... Bolts and nuts are cheap at tractor supply.

bluedunn

Equipment
Aug 29, 2019
Thetford, VT
Reporting back...

The chain mod really helped. Just got done plowing a couple inches of snow under which is a thick layer of ice. No slipping or sliding and didn’t even need 4wd.

The lights, in addition to my light bar and spot lights, now mean I can be seen from the moon.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Reporting back...

The chain mod really helped. Just got done plowing a couple inches of snow under which is a thick layer of ice. No slipping or sliding and didn’t even need 4wd.

The lights, in addition to my light bar and spot lights, now mean I can be seen from the moon.
I'm glad it worked out for you. Thanks for posting back.