Air filter clogged with snow

Zach05855

Equipment
B2650
Nov 24, 2020
Foothills , Alberta
I have a B2650 and for the last 4 years have struggled with snow clogging my air filter. The symptoms are while blowing snow always at around the same area of my driveway my engine would start to lug and blow black smoke. I would then have to bring the tractor inside and remove the air filter and let the snow melt then dry out the filter.

Then I found my new best friend David. David created a solution that my dealer could not.

here are my before and after photos.

David manufacturers a set of covers for the front and sides that attached with magnets. David can be found within this forum and he makes a great product and provide excellent customer service..

You can contact him at.

dbratager at midco dot net

20201111_115838.jpg
20201111_115809.jpg
20201111_115734.jpg

20201124_131550.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
looks fantastic - any trouble from not enough air getting to the radiator for cooling?
Or is that not even a problem?

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
looks fantastic - any trouble from not enough air getting to the radiator for cooling?
Or is that not even a problem?
I've used my set and before that an improvised cover (old bedsheet held in place with magnets etc) and not had a problem. The middle one seems to be critical to keep the whole engine bay from packing full of snow. I was also trying to deflect snow with a feed sack over the brush guard.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I live in Texas, Oklahoma is our snow deflection device!

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users

Orange1forme

Equipment
B2650 HSDC, filled tires, wheel spacers, B2728B , LA534A FEL, 3rd valve kit
Dec 1, 2018
Wa
Yes, these are GREAT!!!!!!!!!!

They serve dual purpose, keep the snow/ice/water out and keep engine temps up where they need to be. Depending on the need, remove or open to customize for the conditions.

Thanks again for these!!!!!

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
there was a bulletin that addressed that exact same problem

I'm in the south and never ever saw more than an inch of snow, and exactly 0% of southerners do anything when it does snow, so as a former dealer tech the snow and extremely cold weather bulletins were mostly "in one ear and out the other". But I do remember reading a bulletin that addressed snow in the air filter.

Dealer outta have information for it.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I never would have expected that would be a problem, I guess that is a CON for the front mounted blowers.

Is it wind direction dependant or are you always ingesting too much snow? When the wind is in the wrong direction and visibility is zero I try to turn the machine around and use the wind behind me if possible. Some days are simply hopeless.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I never would have expected that would be a problem, I guess that is a CON for the front mounted blowers.

Is it wind direction dependant or are you always ingesting too much snow? When the wind is in the wrong direction and visibility is zero I try to turn the machine around and use the wind behind me if possible. Some days are simply hopeless.
It is wind and snow type dependent. Fine powdery snow can get blown in the worst. Not much of a problem after snow settles.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
there was a bulletin that addressed that exact same problem

I'm in the south and never ever saw more than an inch of snow, and exactly 0% of southerners do anything when it does snow, so as a former dealer tech the snow and extremely cold weather bulletins were mostly "in one ear and out the other". But I do remember reading a bulletin that addressed snow in the air filter.

Dealer outta have information for it.
Yeah it was stopping regen in B3350. One suggestion from a dealer was take the snorkel off, or loosen it and tuck it down behind the radiator. The covers keep the radiator, batteryfrom getting covered with ice, less drying out necessary especially if you want to reinstall a battery tender when you're done.

802Driver

Equipment
LX2610SU 60" Bucket Land Pride54" Box Blade Farm King 4572 Rear Blade
May 18, 2020
Manitoba, Canada
I was told to avoid this very thing, to pull the snorkel off from the air filter housing, it's supposed to work.

Thunder chicken

Equipment
M7060
Dec 29, 2019
Northern ontario
Sorry to go off topic, we have this issue with some of our snowmobile trail grooming machines. (Prinoth, Pisten Bulley, Bombi 180) One of them had some sort of a flapper valve that would direct hot air (from around the exhaust) into the intake path to help keep the snow melted, kinda sorta like an airplane carb heat.. One machine we’d carry a spare filter and have to change it out. Was worst on a long lake crossing (7-15 miles) headed downwind and you’d be driving in a snow globe for what felt like an eternity, hoping to see the next trail marker (spaced 100 yards apart) so you didn’t veer off the good trail ice...... then have to worry about stopping on the ice to swap out the air filter...

DeepWoods

Equipment
B2650HSDC Woodland Mills WC68 Wood Chipper
Apr 10, 2019
Bigfork Minnesota
I have had the same problems with my B2650HSDC as well. While a set of covers from David do make a huge difference, ( thank you David), I took the snorkel off last year and had less problem with ice buildup on the filter after that. I'm hoping that this year's addition of a hydraulic chute deflector will allow me to shoot the snow in a direction away from the hood area of the tractor. What I think is the ultimate fix would be to draw air in from under or inside the cab using a flex hose to the air intake canister. I do agree that it is the type of snow that makes the biggest difference. I do keep an extra air filter on hand just in case I get froze up. But in the end, thanks to my wife, it is a minor inconvenience for being able to blow snow in a heated cab in a tee shirt😉.

Zach05855

Equipment
B2650
Nov 24, 2020
Foothills , Alberta
Here in the foothills of Alberta our snow is very light, dry and easily blown around compared with what I used to have out East in Quebec which was wet, heavy and laden with moisture.

DeepWoods

Equipment
B2650HSDC Woodland Mills WC68 Wood Chipper
Apr 10, 2019
Bigfork Minnesota
I have a B2650 and for the last 4 years have struggled with snow clogging my air filter. The symptoms are while blowing snow always at around the same area of my driveway my engine would start to lug and blow black smoke. I would then have to bring the tractor inside and remove the air filter and let the snow melt then dry out the filter.

Then I found my new best friend David. David created a solution that my dealer could not.

here are my before and after photos.

David manufacturers a set of covers for the front and sides that attached with magnets. David can be found within this forum and he makes a great product and provide excellent customer service..

You can contact him at.

dbratager at midco dot net

View attachment 51175 View attachment 51176 View attachment 51177
View attachment 51178

Zach, after looking at your photos again, it appears that you may have a hydraulic leak on your hose or cylinder for raising your blower. There is a yellow patch of snow right under the cylinder in your first picture. You may want to check for leaks.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Zach, thanks for the kind words! (I’ll send you the coupon for the free steak dinner later!) Just kidding! Your air filter pictures look pretty nasty and the covers should really help to alleviate that! Post pics and the results after you use them in similar conditions.

To help answer some of the questions above…..here’s what I know so far:

I initially made my covers to help my B2650 warm up to temp and retain the heat in our sub zero ND weather while blowing snow. Since the area underneath the tractor’s engine is not enclosed, there’s never been a problem with not getting enough air circulating from the fan which most likely mixes air drawn in from below with that which is already warmed up around the engine. And when the outside air temps warm up enough it just takes a moment to first remove the side cover(s) and finally the front one.

I also noticed that without the covers on in cold sub zero temps my hydraulic oil must’ve been cooling down enough where I couldn’t keep the RPM’s up to speed. Using the covers fixed that as the hydraulic oil cooler sits just in front of the radiator also. Enough heat gets retained under the hood to melt the snow off the top of it so you know the fuel in the tank is being kept warm too.

The problem of the snow/frost being ingested into the air intake was unknown to me at the time as I use a rear mounted snow blower. That the covers helped to alleviate that problem was an added bonus that the first users commented about. Because of their ease of use compared to shifting and remounting air intake tubes, quick warm ups, keeping the engine temps in the “normal” range, warm fuel, etc., users in these colder climates like using the covers.

Regarding the possibility of routing the air intake tube into the cab of the cabbed models for a “warm air supply”: The calculations of how much air moves through the engine (especially at rated rpm) and the required fresh air breeze of cold winter “make up air” entering the cab might make it too uncomfortable. That would be an interesting/worthwhile experiment to find out.

I keep a list of purchases, so just for fun I tallied up the locations that now use these covers to date. Some locations have just one user while others more than one. Oklahoma wouldn't be big enough to deflect all the cold in these areas. LOL!!

United States: Virginia, New York, Maine, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, North Dakota, Montana, Idaho, Washington, and Alaska.

My best friends in Canada! : Newfoundland/Labrador, Quebec, Ontario, Manitoba, Alberta and the Yukon Territory.

Thanks to OTT member "tthorkil", we measured up his new LX2610 and the covers to fit the new LX models will soon be available. After a couple of fun visits to his beautiful spot, the final pattern is nicely taking shape. I was able to give them a trial fitting on just arrived but still crated up LXs at the dealer this week and they fit very well. The dealership wants a set to take pictures with when they assemble theirs and make them known to their customers. A very nice gesture on their part!! I’ll post pics of the final product and hope to have them ready by the end of November. The new LX models use the same air intake tube right up front on top of the radiator.

Regards,
David

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Orange1forme

Equipment
B2650 HSDC, filled tires, wheel spacers, B2728B , LA534A FEL, 3rd valve kit
Dec 1, 2018
Wa
While I agree that the type of snow makes a difference, there is the gap in the deflector over the top of the chute. This allows quite a bit of snow(type dependent to some extent) to exit right in front of the hood(somewhat direction dependent) that gets pulled into the engine bay.

Before buying these covers I had tried cardboard, old shower curtain and a few other things. They did help minimize the accumulation, but the covers are the best of both worlds. They can keep engine temps where you need them and keep out the snow/ice.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Covers are the easiest and usually the best solution in the bad cold. Truckers have been doing this since driving in the winter started.