AG front tires already overloaded before lifting something?

Mister

Jul 13, 2018
Northwest
I have AG tires front and rear on my MX5800. I have lifted some heavy loads, up to about the capacity of the front loader, which is about 3,000 lbs I believe. Never had a problem. The tires might bulge a bit, but I haven't had problems.

Now I notice the side walls say each tire has a max capacity of 1,300 lbs, and that includes the weight of the tractor. So if that's really the case, then AG tires are already overloaded with just a front loader installed. Pick something up and you're way over the limit.

I'm guessing there must be more to these figures, and all is well, but wanted your take on it.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
What is the brand and size of the tires on the tractor? Does the MX5800 come standard with AG tires? I would think so but wanted to know.

Mister

Jul 13, 2018
Northwest
What is the brand and size of the tires on the tractor? Does the MX5800 come standard with AG tires? I would think so but wanted to know.
Fronts are Good Year. 9.5-16. You typically indicate what tire type you want when you order your tractor

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I doubt it's an issue and you loader might do 3K at the pivot point but I doubt 3K out on an anything.

Palmettokat

Equipment
M6800, B2710, L6060, Volvo 5 ton excavator and implements.
Apr 21, 2020
South Carolina
Did you buy the tractor and it with loader on it and those tires? Or have the tires been replaced or the loader added? My experience though limited when you say what kind of tires you want I have never been ask what load capacity. It a new package would ask dealer on those numbers.

BigG

Equipment
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I am no engineer but let me try to explain this so that some of the worry is out of your mind.

1) weight of the tractor from the brochure 3734
2) weight of the bucket from the brochure 320
3) weight of the loader guessing 1000
4) max weight at the loader pins
from the brochure minus the
weight of the bucket 2275 - 320 = 1955
5) Approximate weight 6689

6) weight distribution should be 40% front 2676 / 2 = 1338 per tire

7) weight distribution 60% rear 4013 / 2 = 2007 per tire

The rating on the tire is 1300 pounds and the rear is 4000(?) pounds per tire so as you add ballast to rear of the tractor the weight on the front will become less. At the same time as you load the bucket the weight will shift some of the weight back to the front. This is why ballasting your tractor when using the front end loader is so important. What you hang out the rear counters the weight that the bucket adds.

As long as the correct ballast is used when you are lifting with the front end loader you should not over load the tires.

The real world weights will be different but I was trying to illustrate to you that you should be good with your tires. Not all of the weight that goes to the bucket goes onto your front tires.

Reactions: 1 user

Mister

Jul 13, 2018
Northwest
I am no engineer but let me try to explain this so that some of the worry is out of your mind.

1) weight of the tractor from the brochure 3734
2) weight of the bucket from the brochure 320
3) weight of the loader guessing 1000
4) max weight at the loader pins
from the brochure minus the
weight of the bucket 2275 - 320 = 1955
5) Approximate weight 6689

6) weight distribution should be 40% front 2676 / 2 = 1338 per tire

7) weight distribution 60% rear 4013 / 2 = 2007 per tire

The rating on the tire is 1300 pounds and the rear is 4000(?) pounds per tire so as you add ballast to rear of the tractor the weight on the front will become less. At the same time as you load the bucket the weight will shift some of the weight back to the front. This is why ballasting your tractor when using the front end loader is so important. What you hang out the rear counters the weight that the bucket adds.

As long as the correct ballast is used when you are lifting with the front end loader you should not over load the tires.

The real world weights will be different but I was trying to illustrate to you that you should be good with your tires. Not all of the weight that goes to the bucket goes onto your front tires.
Very good points. I run ballast in the rear tires, plus often times the backhoe attachment or a plow or grader scraper

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca

Sorry but I'm confused by this...you are saying that adding ballast to the back tires make the front end see less weight? Is this some alternate Marvel universe with negative gravity taking effect?

Your tractor is like a see-saw. The bucket is one seat of the see-saw, the rear tires are like the opposite seat, and the front axel is the pivot. Adding more weight to the one seat let you lift more weight on the other seat. Your fulcrum sees more weight the more you add to either seat.

Reactions: 1 user

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
The see-saw is not really the example.

It's like having a plank on two saw horses 8' apart and extended 3' beyond the saw horses on each end. Put weight on one end of the plank and there is less pressure on the opposite end. The saw horse (front or rear axle) that has the weight behind it allows less pressure on the other end. The pressure removed from the front is added to the back, in this example. Put a counter weight 3' behind the rear axle lightens the load on the front axle.

Reactions: 3 users

BigG

Equipment
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Sorry but I'm confused by this...you are saying that adding ballast to the back tires make the front end see less weight? Is this some alternate Marvel universe with negative gravity taking effect?

Your tractor is like a see-saw. The bucket is one seat of the see-saw, the rear tires are like the opposite seat, and the front axel is the pivot. Adding more weight to the one seat let you lift more weight on the other seat. Your fulcrum sees more weight the more you add to either seat.
The purpose of the ballast on the rear of the tractor is to make the strongest axle the fulcrum. When you hang the the weight behind the rear axle the force is redirected upward at the front of the tractor.

The rear axle should be bearing the greatest part of the weight. The rear axle is the strongest and needs the most traction when doing loader work.

When you correctly balance a tractor the weight in most instances should be 40% on the front axle and 60% to the rear axle. The weight is not split 50-50 just because there is weight above both axles. Where the weight sits along the length of the tractor is also important.

Reactions: 1 users

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
What ply rating are the tires? For most tire sizes, you can buy heavier ply rated tires which will give you a heavier load rating.

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
FYI...
According to the wholegoods price list 9.5-16 is the stock front size for the MX5800.
Copy and paste from wholegoods document:
AMXR8860A F-TIRE 9.5-16 R1 Gdyr Dura Torque 6stud

According to the info found in Goodyears tire specification the 1,390lbs is the max load rating and consistent with what the OP stated. I didn't see where Goodyear made this tire model with a greater ply rating. Other manufactures do.

8-ply rating is only rated to 1,710 lbs. Even this is marginal for this application.

The 12-16.5 R-4's for this tractor have a load rating of 5,600lbs.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
One point to make is that a FEL is attached and the fulcrum point is the the center (or thereabouts) and thus adds only of a portion of it and it's loads weight to the front axle, the rest is handled by the rear axle and tires.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
The purpose of the ballast on the rear of the tractor is to make the strongest axle the fulcrum. When you hang the the weight behind the rear axle the force is redirected upward at the front of the tractor.

The rear axle should be bearing the greatest part of the weight. The rear axle is the strongest and needs the most traction when doing loader work.

When you correctly balance a tractor the weight in most instances should be 40% on the front axle and 60% to the rear axle. The weight is not split 50-50 just because there is weight above both axles. Where the weight sits along the length of the tractor is also important.
I'm simple minded and pictures work better than words. How about drawing me a free body diagram. Show your reaction forces. Do a FBD with and without a load in the bucket.

Palmettokat

Equipment
M6800, B2710, L6060, Volvo 5 ton excavator and implements.
Apr 21, 2020
South Carolina
Lets make this thread interesting....find out the load limit for your front axle. Per a friend who owns some dealerships with one brand being Kubota pointed that out on another forum a while back. Know him to well for him not to be correct in such a comment. He did not say what brand or brands or models he was talking about.

bx tractorjoe

Equipment
kubota l2501 upgraded from a bx23s john deere 670 husquarvana huv 4421 gxp
Jun 3, 2020
loxahatchee flordia
Thats odd.. the goodyear r14 tires on my 2501 are rated for 1870 pounds at 44 psi, while going 25 mph.. they are 8 ply..

Seems like better tires are on your list

Sorry for the upside down picture

Attachments

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
Adding ballast to the tires only helps stability and traction.
You need a counterweight to take the load off of the front tires.
Tire ballast only increases the weight on the front when you use the loader, not reduce it.
Get the manual for your tractor. It tells you how much counterweight you should be using for various types and capacity of loaders.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Granted, a counter weight takes load off the front axle. But how much?

I am guessing the ratio is 2:1 or greater reduction. So if you had a 1000 pound counter weight, you would take 500 pounds (or less) off the front axle. But the loader weight is hanging out about the same distance in front of the front axle. So the front axle will feel more weight than what is in the loader bucket (due to leverage), right? So the net affect is not as easy to determine.

So it seems that without mathematical analysis, each front tire will see a reduction of about 25% of the counter weight weight, or about 250 pounds per tire, for a thousand pounds on the back.

The counter weight has a MUCH greater effect to keep the rear wheels on the ground, since this calculation uses the front axle as the pivot point.

Just pointing out a difference. Not sure counter weights make that much practical difference as far as front axle loading goes, but they do certainly make a great difference in tractor stability when using the loader.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
My front's are ALWAYS overloaded when I'm toting around round bales or moving loaded pallets of fertilizer. Never been an issue and I don't ever expect it to be. I keep them inflated to the maximum sidewall pressure and it's road speeds that kill overloaded tires (heat) and that ain't happening with either tractor.