After market non-Kubota filters?

Orange man hero

Equipment
LX2610HSD
Mar 12, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
Here's a good video comparing motorcycle manufacturers

I think the same principles apply to filter manufacturers.

I recommend pricing out a new tractor before trying to save a couple of bucks on filters and fluids. I don't have a problem with the quality of K filters.
I agree plus many cars and trucks in the US before the 50's did not even have filters or the VW - the bug., until real late in the game like 80s.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
When my BX was new, I bought a Fram equivalent motor oil filter.

I had a Kubota filter in one hand, and the Fram in the other. The Fram just didn't seem "right."

Fram is still on the shelf after 8 years.

Reactions: 1 user

ruger1980

Equipment
L4310 w/La682, L225
Oct 25, 2020
CNY
The tractor hydraulics power all of the tractor hydraulics including the HST. The HST is fed by the hydraulics and that fluid is filtered a second time before the HST.
This is not accurate. Most hydrostatic transmissions have their own charge pump and filter

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
This is not accurate. Most hydrostatic transmissions have their own charge pump and filter
Ok, strictly speaking, there's a separate pump for Power Steering, Bi-speed Turn (if equipped), Independent PTO and HST, and the other pump for 3-point and external connection, i.e. a backhoe.

So the tranny shares a pump with power steering and pto clutch.

Both draw oil through the same sump filter.

There's another filter right before the HST.

Sound right now?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
The cost of maintenance is relative to the cost of the vehicle. You think the cost of filters are high? Enjoy this example.

Reactions: 1 user

ruger1980

Equipment
L4310 w/La682, L225
Oct 25, 2020
CNY
Ok, strictly speaking, there's a separate pump for Power Steering, Bi-speed Turn (if equipped), Independent PTO and HST, and the other pump for 3-point and external connection, i.e. a backhoe.

So the tranny shares a pump with power steering and pto clutch.

Both draw oil through the same sump filter.

There's another filter right before the HST.

Sound right now?
No they share the same reservoir and in some instances the HST circuit takes oil from the the same Hydraulic oil suction filter but generally has its own charge pump and propel pump and motor. As well as filter.
There are hydrostatic transmission designs that do share a pump for charge with another function but I am not sure if any Kubota models do this or not. I know the ones I have looked at so far do not. This does not mean there none I just do not recall seeing any in the Kubota schematics I have read so far.

Mike9

Equipment
Kubota B6200
Oct 9, 2015
Ghent, NY
I stick with OEM from the Kubota dealer. I would never use a Fram I'm surprised they are still in business.

nbryan

Equipment
Jan 3, 2019
No they share the same reservoir and in some instances the HST circuit takes oil from the the same Hydraulic oil suction filter but generally has its own charge pump and propel pump and motor. As well as filter.
There are hydrostatic transmission designs that do share a pump for charge with another function but I am not sure if any Kubota models do this or not. I know the ones I have looked at so far do not. This does not mean there none I just do not recall seeing any in the Kubota schematics I have read so far.
This is where I got my info from about the hydraulic circuits in my B2650.
1618410676199.png

nbryan

Equipment
Jan 3, 2019
Then that model does share the pwr str/pto pump as a charge pump. This is not used across the board so making a blanket statement is not accurate.
I was only referring to the poster who has a LX2610 tractor. Same unit a my B2650. Was not a blanket statement. His tractor has the same circuits as mine.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Here's a good video comparing motorcycle manufacturers

I think the same principles apply to filter manufacturers.

I recommend pricing out a new tractor before trying to save a couple of bucks on filters and fluids. I don't have a problem with the quality of K filters.
That was an interesting video... and quite a display of acting-ability on the part of the presenter... But it doesn’t explain why my NO-filter Chinese psuedo-copy-Honda engine on my generator has started and run fabulously for 8 years now, accumulating over 800 hours with only three oil changes .... while my no-filter Genuine Honda EX1600 generator engine failed with stuck valves in 125 hours with 25-hour oil changes (Both using the same QS SAE30 motor oil.).
Not a wide sampling but was very disappointing on the Honda. I fixed it, ran it to 170 hours and sold it....unfortunately to a buddy at work who said that Genuine Honda failed again that same year.
My “Predator” continues to be reliable approaching year-Nine with the last 380 hrs now using WalMart SuperTech oil (reportedly Pennzoil/QS in a blue jug.)
Meanwhile, that video DOES suggest a good filter can be a good corrective-measure for sloppy mfr’g practices. (And that video does not compare apples-to-apples..... which engines even had filters on them and which did not? Which oils were used...?? We’ve all seen “fresh” oils out of the bottles which varied widely in color and particulates. While interesting, the video is only anecdotal.)

Last edited: