BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA

dvcochran

Equipment
Kubota M9000, New Holland TN90, Deere 2640, Vermeer 504N, Vermeer 504SI, more
Feb 23, 2011
Dickson, TN
I use Wix filters on my Kubota's. Usually in stock.

Tire Biter

Equipment
B 2601 434 loader MMM, bunch of tractor stuff . Ford 4600
Jul 10, 2012
S.E. TN
In the automotive world, Fram filters are the butt of jokes about their cheap quality and general ineffective filtering performance.
being as how Kubota is getting ornery about warranty claims, you might want to use genuine filters for now.

Reactions: 1 user

Orange man hero

Equipment
LX2610HSD
Mar 12, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
In the automotive world, Fram filters are the butt of jokes about their cheap quality and general ineffective filtering performance.
being as how Kubota is getting ornery about warranty claims, you might want to use genuine filters for now.
Yes, think I will, Have used Fram for decades and don't quite buy it. Some places they are the only filter available except off brands. but hell, what do I know.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, passed by Congress in 1975, is the federal law that governs consumer product warranties . The Act requires manufacturers and sellers of consumer products to provide consumers with clear and detailed information about warranty coverage.
Kubota cannot deny a warranty claim based on the brand of filter or the oil that you use, provided that the oil meets their printed requirements for grade and the API symbol is correct for that engine.

As for filters, I purchased a 2 cases of Fleetguard filters about 15 years ago, and I have been using them on my old BX22 along with Shell Rotella oil. I change oil every 50 hours, which works for 1 year of use for my tractor. I also change the air filter whenever it becomes dirty, and once again, I purchased a stock of them a few years ago, and I always have oil on hand for when I need it. I do use the Kubota filter for the hydrostatic transmission and the tractor hydraulics, since it gets changes so infrequently, that I will use what Kubota recommends. I used the regular UDT in the past, and my new machine will get Super UDT when I change it next month. Yes, it is expensive, but there is no less expensive substitute for the Kubota product that I know of.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Thanks a lot for that good Samaritan, I will put it my favorites!!!
When looking at the cross reference, keep in mind that there are only about 3 oil filter manufacturers left in the United States, and that they manufacturer for many of the brands that are listed on the cross reference, and that they also tailor the product to the price point of the purchaser. If brand XYZ wants to have an inexpensive filter manufactured so they can retail it at a specific price point, one of those 3 manufacturers will do it with lesser quality materials. If you change oil frequently then the quality of the filter will be of less importance, because the lowest quality filter will work well when the oil is fresh. It is when the oil gets dirty that the filter must start to do its job of removing contaminates from the oil. A lesser quality filter will fail sooner doing this task that the better quality filter. I have seen the video that was produced by Neil Messick, where he cuts the filters open and shows what is inside the can. The amount of filtering material isn't as important as the quality of the filtering material. For that to be determined, you can't tell just by cutting the filter apart, but only by doing scientific testing of the filter material. A filter material that filters to 100 microns is better than a filter that filters to 500 microns, since the 100 micron filter has smaller holes to catch the contaminants. The filter that the material is rated at 100 microns, might catch more contaminants, but it will also clog faster, and then the bypass spring will allow the oil to bypass the filter. Your best choice in a filter is to choose a name brand, and change the filter and oil frequently. Kubota says that the oil on my new BX23S should be changed at 100 hours, but that would be 2 years of use for me, so I change oil every 50 hours instead. On my 1986 Mercedes turbo diesel, I changed the oil and filter every 3000 miles, and I never had any engine problems. I followed the recommendations of Mercedes for all services and my repairs were minimal. Oil and filters are inexpensive compared to what it cost to overhaul an engine. It is the wrong place to skimp on quality.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
It's no big deal money wise nor convenience wise, so I will continue to use "bots filters in my 'bota.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
You should look up the youtube Messick video where Neil cuts into filters. Personally, the difference in price of the filter isn’t worth messing up my tractor. Diesels of all types seem to be the least tolerant of low quality filters. Unless you are really going through a lot of hours, I think you won’t notice the price difference.

freewheel3

Equipment
MX5000DT LA852, BX1800D, B6000DT, B6200HSTD, B7100HSTD, L185, T1700HX, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2013
Alberta
You should look up the youtube Messick video where Neil cuts into filters. Personally, the difference in price of the filter isn’t worth messing up my tractor. Diesels of all types seem to be the least tolerant of low quality filters. Unless you are really going through a lot of hours, I think you won’t notice the price difference.
I have always been a firm believer in using OEM filters on all my Kubota equipment. I seen that video and it only convinced me even more.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
I have always been a firm believer in using OEM filters on all my Kubota equipment. I seen that video and it only convinced me even more.
There are a lot of "it will screw on there" cans out there. Usually, if you check the micron rating, bypass setting, burst strength, amount of media, etc, they do not meet the OEM spec.
It does not matter how good the oil used is if you put a filter on that is 300 micron with a 4PSI bypass in place of the 100 microns, 12PSI bypass as OEM spec just because it has the same thread size.

Reactions: 1 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Due to rules regarding aircraft mx I have no choice but to cut my aircraft filters open each time they’re changed to check for metal particles and to examine the filter, the media, the bypass, etc. for any indication of failure, so I have the tool and the procedure down-pat. Since I have the tool and set-up handy, I often do my other filters also..... I’ve seen the insides of a lot of spin on filters. The interior construction, the quality of the by-pass valve, the media itself.... there are significant differences between quality filters and cheap filters.

IF ALL you want to do is “complete the lubrication circulation” system.... then any ol’ filter that screws onto the filter-adaptor will do. It will collect the hot, dirty oil at the end of the circulatory-system and return it to the sump for re-use.

But if you are the type who wants name-brand motor oil instead of generic stuff.... then it is counterintuitive to choose a cheap filter for good oil. A cheap filter may by-pass dirty oil, and while that’s bad, and while that will increase the wear-and-tear on your engine...it’s not likely to kill your engine right-away. But a cheap filter made of cheap materials can ”dump” your oil overboard when it’s cheap base-gasket fails or its thin, crimped-seam canister splits and you lose the oil out in the field with the bright sun and the work distracting you from the low pressure waring light (if it works properly) and you might have spun-over many times that engine.
For what advantage? To save $3 per oil change?

It’s true that some other filter brands are also good quality: WIX, NAPA, Baldwin, LuberFiner, and a few others. Fram is not one of them, IMO.
However, Surprisingly Kubota filters are not particularly expensive. They are priced about the middle of the retail market and are high quality, well-made filters. You do get your “moneys-worth” when you buy a genuine Kubota filter.

It’s your tractor.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

Donystoy

Equipment
LX2610HSDCC, B/H, Loader, plus numerous other attachments. B7200 sold
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
I have owned my B7200 since new and have always used kubota filters that I purchase from the dealer. I just do not see any advantage in trying to save a couple of dollars and risking inferior quality.

Reactions: 1 users

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
I like to use OEM oil and hydraulic filters I do however used NAPA gold air filters.

My Exmark mower and L4600 take the same air filter, found that kind of odd.

Best of luck.

Jay

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I like to use OEM oil and hydraulic filters I do however used NAPA gold air filters.

My Exmark mower and L4600 take the same air filter, found that kind of odd.

Best of luck.

Jay
If any of us were to design “from scratch” a new vehicle or tractor engine... would we utilize existing air filters and canisters and elements with air-flow/filtering capacity that meets our engines’ needs which someone already makes..?? Or would we also undertake to create an entirely non-existant, new design which would require additional designer/engineering input, proving-tasks, and costs... then a search for a manufacturer who would take-on an entirely new line of filters in addition to their present workload?

This also may explain why some owners report their WIX filter happens to look exactly like their Kubota filter. (However it’s important to remember that without proper testing-apparatus the Wix may only appear identical. The media may/may not be the same, nor the bypass valve pressure-setting, etc.)

Orange man hero

Equipment
LX2610HSD
Mar 12, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
Kubota cannot deny a warranty claim based on the brand of filter or the oil that you use, provided that the oil meets their printed requirements for grade and the API symbol is correct for that engine.

As for filters, I purchased a 2 cases of Fleetguard filters about 15 years ago, and I have been using them on my old BX22 along with Shell Rotella oil. I change oil every 50 hours, which works for 1 year of use for my tractor. I also change the air filter whenever it becomes dirty, and once again, I purchased a stock of them a few years ago, and I always have oil on hand for when I need it. I do use the Kubota filter for the hydrostatic transmission and the tractor hydraulics, since it gets changes so infrequently, that I will use what Kubota recommends. I used the regular UDT in the past, and my new machine will get Super UDT when I change it next month. Yes, it is expensive, but there is no less expensive substitute for the Kubota product that I know of.
Wise man on the stocks of maintenance items. Hydrostatic trans is the tractor hydraulics...right? Some things in the owners manual are not clear or whatever. There is a language barrier there as reported on this site previously.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Here's a good video comparing motorcycle manufacturers

I think the same principles apply to filter manufacturers.

I recommend pricing out a new tractor before trying to save a couple of bucks on filters and fluids. I don't have a problem with the quality of K filters.