Advice Purchase Gooseneck Lowboy or Flatbed

Patt Swilling

Equipment
Kubota L3901
Mar 11, 2021
Cabot, AR
I haul my L3901 with Brushhog frequently during the spring and summer. I want to purchase a gooseneck trailer to do this. I have plenty of truck to handle this. I am concerned about the brushhog potentially dragging when I load my trailer. I know a lowboy would be no problem. And I think a flatbed with a dovetail would be fine also. I see flatbed gooseneck trailers frequently for sale on facebook marketplace. Would my brushhog drag on a flatbed (non dove tail) when loading? Any advice is appreciated.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I haul my L3901 with Brushhog frequently during the spring and summer. I want to purchase a gooseneck trailer to do this. I have plenty of truck to handle this. I am concerned about the brushhog potentially dragging when I load my trailer. I know a lowboy would be no problem. And I think a flatbed with a dovetail would be fine also. I see flatbed gooseneck trailers frequently for sale on facebook marketplace. Would my brushhog drag on a flatbed (non dove tail) when loading? Any advice is appreciated.
For peace of mind, I would suggest a flatbed (equipment trailer) with a 2' or longer dovetail.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
A lot depends on the length of the ramps and how level the ground. If the cutter deck is lifted as high as possible ta wheel might touch down, but that is what it’s for….same for backing off the trailer….depending the departure angle created by the ramp and ground it’s very possible for the tail wheel to touch down. If you are planning to back on, depending the ramp length that could be more of issue. The other option is load / unload the cutter with the loader/forks. Think about how you plan to set the tractor and implements to balance it out to figure out the length you need.

I have deck over with a dovetail and my tail wheel touches down…it’s not created a problem yet.

Personally I like not haveing the wheel wells in the way when I load. Makes it easier IMO to secure a load as well as loading long objects from the side. Just more versatile. Extra wide ramps with a spring is really helpful too.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
There was a post, months ago, that showed tractor/bushog/trailer that DESTROYED the tractor's 3ph/diff area ! Maybe someone can post a link to it ?
Something went horribly wrong..so choosing the correct trailer is critical. Also is the load/unload area always the same ?? flat,level...NO surprises ??!!
For sure get backup LED lights on the trailer.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
An hydraulic top link (cylinder) is your friend in this situation. I have a 22ft equipment trailer and raise the 3-point and shorten the top link when driving up/down the ramps. I have a 7ft rotary cutter and I have no issues at all getting on or off the trailer.

I have top-n-tilt on both tractors and would never consider not having hydraulic top and side links on a tractor. They're useful and convenient in so many ways.

mx_midsota_f250_2.jpg

mx_trailer_01.jpg

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
Whatever you decide on, add 4 feet to the length. You'll understand why later.

Reactions: 2 users

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
In the first photo you’ll see my L 2501 loaded behind a 14 foot Haywagon that I use for hay rides.

The second photo shows the L 2501 with the box blade, and a homemade roller.

The third photo shows the L 2501 with the 5 foot Kodiak mower and my wheel horse loaded behind it.

That’s all on a 25 foot +5 foot width mega ramps. The convenience of the deck over is well worth the effort. It might be a little easier to load a lower trailer, but the versatility of the deck over makes it a much better choice.

I do have a hydraulic top link to pick up the mower when I go up the ramps. But it’s never been an issue as to loading it.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 users

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I don't know if this pertains to your question but there is a guy on YouTube loading a B2601 onto a tilt trailer. It seems so safe and simple that I can't imagine its not worth the presumed extra cost. I own no trailer suitable for a tractor so take it for what its worth. I like to ask myself what can go wrong and how bad can it be? The answer is plenty. Good luck.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
There was a post, months ago, that showed tractor/bushog/trailer that DESTROYED the tractor's 3ph/diff area ! Maybe someone can post a link to it ?
Something went horribly wrong..so choosing the correct trailer is critical. Also is the load/unload area always the same ?? flat,level...NO surprises ??!!
For sure get backup LED lights on the trailer.
I think in that guys experience, the problem was likely that the brush hog was left in the up position and not supported at all, and during transport, hitting a bump, or something added enough down force on the brush hog to pull the back of the transmission case out at the top Link point. My recollection anyway. I also don’t have a link to the thread but I remember it clearly.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
In the first photo you’ll see my L 2501 loaded behind a 14 foot Haywagon that I use for hay rides.

The second photo shows the L 2501 with the box blade, and a homemade roller.

The third photo shows the L 2501 with the 5 foot Kodiak mower and my wheel horse loaded behind it.

That’s all on a 25 foot +5 foot width mega ramps. The convenience of the deck over is well worth the effort. It might be a little easier to load a lower trailer, but the versatility of the deck over makes it a much better choice.

I do have a hydraulic top link to pick up the mower when I go up the ramps. But it’s never been an issue as to loading it.
That's a nice trailer! Deck overs certainly have their advantages but I do like the load sitting lower to the ground. I'm still thinking about doing a "drive over" fender upgrade on my equipment trailer so that I can fit the M on there with the rear wheel spacing at the second widest setting. Currently the wheels are at the second narrowest setting.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I think in that guys experience, the problem was likely that the brush hog was left in the up position and not supported at all, and during transport, hitting a bump, or something added enough down force on the brush hog to pull the back of the transmission case out at the top Link point. My recollection anyway. I also don’t have a link to the thread but I remember it clearly.
Just who would leave a brush hog "in the up position" for transport?
Makes me wonder if same guy has correct rated trailer hitch, or has ever checked his trailer wheel bearings.
As the old saying goes: "You can't fix stupid"!

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I had assumed he'd driven the PTO shaft into the transmission - too long shaft and bouncing perhaps.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
hmm... do you need any special license or permit for the trailer ?? I know some permits are based on weight. I'd think a 24' gooseneck trailer might weigh more than a normal 24' ??
I know different states have different laws.....but could be a consideration ??

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Just who would leave a brush hog "in the up position" for transport?
Makes me wonder if same guy has correct rated trailer hitch, or has ever checked his trailer wheel bearings.
As the old saying goes: "You can't fix stupid"!
It was being transported by someone for the guy. The guy hauling it apparently did not understand how he should have loaded and secured the tractor properly.

If I remember correctly the after picture looked like there was a strap across the brush hog while it was raised. Strap was loose and brush hog was on the deck in the after picture. The assumption was that the strap was under tension and added to the downward force on the brush hog. And hitting a bump or rough section of road was the straw that broke the camels back.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
It was being transported by someone for the guy. The guy hauling it apparently did not understand how he should have loaded and secured the tractor properly.

If I remember correctly the after picture looked like there was a strap across the brush hog while it was raised. Strap was loose and brush hog was on the deck in the after picture. The assumption was that the strap was under tension and added to the downward force on the brush hog. And hitting a bump or rough section of road was the straw that broke the camels back.
Yup!
STUPID !!