Advice on this connection....

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
BX23S

My FEL disconnect leak(s) have got bad....

I'm gonna take all the fittings off tomorrow and clean up/ inspect /reassemble...

Do these fittings use teflon tape? OR are they tapered?

I guess I'll find out when I take it apart...
I really can't figure out which of the 4 are leaking... so I'm gonna take them all apart....

I'll post pics in a minute.

any tips appreciated.

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
I'm not even sure if the flatface connectors themselves are leaking... :rolleyes:

I HATE this quick disconnect crap....

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Do these fittings use Teflon tape?
NEVER, pipe dope with pipe thread, taper seat, O-ring, are all used.
Teflon tape can get into components and cause major issues.

Check with a dealer as some of the older disconnects had a fault in their design, they might warranty it. ;)

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
Thanks Wolf

As it turns out it appears to be one of the couplers in the hydraulic block on the tractor side

With the loader off,
If I move the control handle... I can see it leaking.
Part # 077 in the diagram
$57.00 on order from dealer...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
You can see the cut in the seal here...

I wish I knew what size seal that was
Or where to get one....

It wouldn’t be that hard to pop a new one in.

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
I removed the orange seal and replaced it with a round O-ring.

Seems to be holding pressure same as the others ...
still gonna replace it, but this’ll do for now ... hopefully.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Why don't you take one of your odd small size o'rings of the same material you replaced the factory one with, and place it in a small container (spray paint cover?) filled with your hydraulic oil. That way you could monitor it and see if your hydraulic oil reacts with the oring material you used. Seems there's different quality in the cheap Buna/Nitrile oring kits that I've used before. Now I've bought Viton and other special orings for different apps. They sure last a lot longer and don't swell or get damaged so easily when decoupling and reconnecting the fittings.

Regards,
david

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
Not A bad experiment David...

Yeah these are the cheap o ring assortment kit .... Im gonna keep my eye on this until the replacement comes ...

The stock rubber ring is actually flat

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Not A bad experiment David...

Yeah these are the cheap o ring assortment kit .... Im gonna keep my eye on this until the replacement comes ...

The stock rubber ring is actually flat

the stock oring is most likely a quad or square o'ring. Here's a couple of sites with info on the different materials, types and sizing charts. Maybe it might be of interest to others. Usually, you can take a micrometer and size the o'ring material cross section diameter along with the I.D. and find a replacement for it in the material of your choice. That can turn a $5 factory o'ring into a small supply for under $1 sometimes. :D

https://www.martins-rubber.co.uk/blog/an-o-ring-material-selection-guide/

https://www.marcorubber.com/o-ring-size-chart-index.htm

Cheers!
David

Last edited:

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
Stupid Question:

Are these 1/4" connectors? OR 1/2" ?

where do you measure from / across the face or top?

BX Greg

Equipment
BX23S with FEL/BH, 54" MM Mower, 4pt K connect, 60 blade, 1.5" wheel spacers
Jul 21, 2019
Orono Ontario,
Ok, so my BX23S is doing the same thing... I really do believe the quick connect is not all the way seated to the connection. 3 of the 4 look bottomed out and the last line is up slightly... causing a hell of a mess!

Almost wonder if the fittings need to be shimmed to extend a bit higher?

Last edited:

beex

May 21, 2019
on my bx
This quad connector has been a problem since the 80 series came out, and Kubota added it to the B series and the new LX version of the big Bs. Hope Kubota fixes this problem.

Way to much trouble, the old connectors never have problems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
Ok, so my BX23S is doing the same thing... I really do believe the quick connect is not all the way seated to the connection. 3 of the 4 look bottomed out and the last line is up slightly... causing a hell of a mess!

Almost wonder if the fittings need to be shimmed to extend a bit higher?
I don't think you can shim them up easily... there is a snap ring on the bottom fitting.

they all should be snapping together.... I would bet either your seal is bad (like mine) or there is some crap caught in there....

disconnect it and let the pressure bleed down for a while, or unscrew the fitting and look down in there....

I did a little snooping around online, looks like mcmaster carr sells those flat o-rings...

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
greg,
I just read that your tractor is new...... I would have THEM fix it.

my full warranty JUST expired.... :mad:

all I have left now is the power train ..... until my financing is done... I think...

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
This quad connector has been a problem since the 80 series came out, and Kubota added it to the B series and the new LX version of the big Bs. Hope Kubota fixes this problem.

Way to much trouble, the old connectors never have problems.

I got my new coupler installed and it seems to be dry...

But I haven't really worked the FEL yet.

I'm gonna use it this weekend..... And I swear by all things that are Holy, If this piece of crap starts leaking again, I am going to remove the Quick connector and buy 4 male/female Pioneer couplers and be done with it.

same way the backhoe lines unhook.

beex

May 21, 2019
on my bx
I would replace it with the old style too, people spend more time fiddling with the supposedly quick hookup to make sure it’s seated correctly than it takes to hookup the individual connectors. It only takes about 10 seconds to hook up the old ones. And the old ones gives you flexibility to if you need it it if one of your valves stops working. Like if your lift valve stops working , you can use the curl valve to lift the loader and get home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
Not sure, could be wrong but,even if it is leaking without the coupler I would think it shouldn't if the quick coupler is seated correctly when locked down. I think these get damaged from trying to lock down the quick coupler while not being close enough to the FEL. It needs to lock down flush end to end. If your too far away the one end doesn't seat correctly it leaks. I had the same problem going through the learning process. I saw mine leaking and just disconnected and reconnected. Now Im real careful now to make sure Im close enough before locking down the coupler.

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
Not sure, could be wrong but,even if it is leaking without the coupler I would think it shouldn't if the quick coupler is seated correctly when locked down. I think these get damaged from trying to lock down the quick coupler while not being close enough to the FEL. It needs to lock down flush end to end. If your too far away the one end doesn't seat correctly it leaks. I had the same problem going through the learning process. I saw mine leaking and just disconnected and reconnected. Now Im real careful now to make sure Im close enough before locking down the coupler.
This is NOT the case with me.

I have read QUITE a few folks on this board having problems with that quick connector.

In my opinion it's a crappy design. Due to the fact it only clamps down on one side. if the connector had clamps on the front AND back, it would be better. I'm also not a fan of those flat faced connectors.

Reactions: 1 user

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I have read QUITE a few folks on this board having problems with that quick connector.
John - I've never even seen these connections in person; just many here complaining.

Sometimes there's things that are better done by hand, one at a time.....takes me 60 seconds, and only 10 bad words...:eek: