Advice On Caring for A Kubota B8200HST-EP

sethmac

Equipment
B8200HST-EP
Mar 23, 2023
Texas
My father bought an old Kubota 8200 about 6 years ago. It runs, but likely wasn't taken care of. I've talked him into letting me try to bring it into the best shape it can be.

The main issue I've seen is it cannot pull a fairly steep hill to mow our dam. My first thought was the engine has low compression and isn't getting full horsepower. It runs and mows as fine as an old tractor can I imagine.

A few things I thought to look at:

1) new glow plugs...I imagine it still has the originals..are these easy to change...its about 3hrs away so I can't see...anyone have some step by step advice as 1) I don't know if they are easily accessible and 2) I don't want to snap one off

2) New air filter

3) Checking engine compression...I picked up a Diesel gauge from HF...any step by step on how to test?

Any other low-hanging fruit to increase performance? Don't expect it to be new, but I think it could benefit from a little TLC.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Does it start fairly easy?
If it does it probably doesn't need glow plugs.
And glow plugs do nothing for performance, just starting.

Is the engine bogging down going up the hill or is it just loosing speed?
If the engine is bogging down, Air filter and Fuel filter are a good start.
Is there a lot of blow by out the breather?
Is it smoking? Color if it is?

You could do a compression test but that's only going to tell you a little bit of info, and are you ready to fork out $2.5k to $5K for an engine rebuild?
These motors lose very little power due to lower compression, so it's not much of a factor.
A engine that just barely starts due to low compression will pull fine and dandy when it's running.

If it's not bogging down just losing speed, sorry to say that's normal for these older HST's on hills.
Next time you run it, as your going up the hill ease up on the HST pedal and I bet it will either maintain speed or speed up.
Maybe could use a Hydraulic and HST fluid and filter change.
High quality fluids go a long way in the performance of the HST.

Other option is the clutch is getting tired and is slipping as heavy loads are placed on it.

Reactions: 1 user

sethmac

Equipment
B8200HST-EP
Mar 23, 2023
Texas
@North Idaho Wolfman I believe it starts fine.

I'll be honest...I'm not sure the difference in bogging down and losing speed.

I can't remember large amounts of smoke, but I do remember after a particular long pull up a hill some black smoke with a few what looks to be flecks/sparks on one occasion...I'll be out there this weekend and try to take a video and some notes...thanks!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yep a video or two will help!
And remember to back off the HST pedal, less is more. ;)

sethmac

Equipment
B8200HST-EP
Mar 23, 2023
Texas
@North Idaho Wolfman I'm going to change the engine oil while I'm out there...what would you recommend? I already ordered a filter. Will eventually change the transmission fluid as well if you have a recommendation there as well. Thanks!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
@North Idaho Wolfman I'm going to change the engine oil while I'm out there...what would you recommend? I already ordered a filter. Will eventually change the transmission fluid as well if you have a recommendation there as well. Thanks!
Oil = Rotella T4 or T6 15W40
Trans / hydraulic / front axle = Mystic JT5 or Kubota UDT