Advice for tractor newbie

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
I've put a deposit down on a Kubota now, with the ability to change between models once I see them in person, but I'm still waiting for the L4060 to come in. I mentioned to the dealer that I would like to see that side by side with the smaller L series, and as well as a MX5400 that they still have in stock, before I make the final decision on which. Dealer is extremely back-logged with work though so depending on which I choose will definitely affect when I can take delivery.

L2501- I like the dimensions for tighter woods work. have a lot of trees and will often have to drive in between them. Plus the price is nicest. No ETA on when I could even see one. Could take a long time to arrive and set up.

L4060- This seems like a good all-rounder with a lot of features. Larger will be harder to fit in tight places but should have enough heft to do some serious work. Could be set up and ready within 1-2 months.

MX5400-Even larger than L4060 but with higher capacities and bigger dimensions. Probably all the power and weight I would ever need but less nice features than the L4060 which as the HST+, stall guard, nicer seat with rider-centric controls, etc. Plus this may be too big of a tractor to start out with and be unwieldy in the woods. However this is available right now and is already set up.
Which one does your wife like?

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Not married.
That's easier then, get whatever you want!

Having came off of an LX, to a MX. It is a huge, yuge difference. But in a good way. Not saying anything bad about the LX, it was amazing and beat doing anything by hand. The MX is just that much more. It gets around well on my 2ac as well as the inlaws 80ish.

Reactions: 1 user

May 25, 2021
IL
Just an update on this. I ended up placing the order for the L2501 and the implements. As tempting as the two larger tractors were, i couldn't justify the additional $14,000 after factoring in the extra costs for their implements and the additional tax etc. I will just wait longer. I will update the post when I get the tractor. Thanks everyone for all the info!

Reactions: 1 users

May 25, 2021
IL
Surprisingly I took delivery of the new L2501 over the weekend. I thought the dealer had to order it, he made it sound like he did but he actually had one in a crate that just needed to be prepped and get the 3rd function kit added. I already have 5 hours on the tractor and it has exceeded my expectations for mowing brush and saplings and clearing the trails. Since I do not have the Grapple yet, I was using the forklift for now, to move trees and it works very good for that purpose, for both moving logs and pushing back smaller trees that are leaning over the trails. I only came across two huge trees that I wasn't able to budge but I will be once I cut them with chainsaw. I have not even used the bucket yet but did a huge amount of work with just the rotary cutter and forklift. The trails are as nice as they have been in years. Happy with the purchase, and happy with the size of the tractor. Thanks for all the help on it.

The only thing now that concerns me is I have to find some metal skid plates to protect vulnerable parts underneath so I will look into that, as well as order a wicked grapple soon.

Edit:
One thing that I wasn't expecting is how fast the loader arms rises up and lowers. It's actually pretty touchy and more often than not if I try to lower it slowly it goes really fast down, so fast that when it stops, the momentum causes the rear end of the tractor to rise up a bit and it basically shakes the entire machine. I wish the loader moved more slowly since I really do not have a need that it moves fast and it makes for a really jerky ride. most of the time I'm trying to make very small adjustments, like lower it an inch, but instead it ends up going down 6 inches and then I'm re-adjusting unnecessarily.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Congratulations. I think you’ll get used to the loader. The RPM you run has an impact on the sensitivity of the loader.

I got my skidplates for the Hydraulic filters and fuel filters from Zooks Welding on ebay. I got my grill guard from a member here who advertises in the classifieds. I also got rubber mats made out of stall mats from a member here. They fit really well.

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
Congratulations on the tractor! I’m glad to hear you’re already putting it to work!

I agree with the above post that you’ll get used to the operation and feeling of the loader soon. I find it incredibly smooth compared to my B2601.

Mike

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
The RPM you run has an impact on the sensitivity of the loader.
Agree on this. For loader work, and on a machine with DPF, no need to run high revs. The L2501 is a torque monster, so you don't need high revs to move around, and the loader will move much more gently with lower revs (it's not pumping as much fluid).

Over time as you get used to it you can start increasing the revs (or if you need the cycle time speed that you get with higher revs, and/or to lift heavy things).

May 25, 2021
IL
Agree on this. For loader work, and on a machine with DPF, no need to run high revs. The L2501 is a torque monster, so you don't need high revs to move around, and the loader will move much more gently with lower revs (it's not pumping as much fluid).

Over time as you get used to it you can start increasing the revs (or if you need the cycle time speed that you get with higher revs, and/or to lift heavy things).
OK maybe I'm only having that issue because I'm multi-tasking. The dealer told me to run the rotary mower at max rev's. so I'm running that and using the fork lift at the same time, but I'll try lowering the rev's for the loader work next time.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
OK maybe I'm only having that issue because I'm multi-tasking. The dealer told me to run the rotary mower at max rev's. so I'm running that and using the fork lift at the same time, but I'll try lowering the rev's for the loader work next time.
Hmm. That does sound like a bad idea - running the rotary mower and also going back and forth lifting things. I'd generally either be mowing, or I'd disengage the mower, then do my fork work. If you're leaving the cutter spinning whilst you're focusing on the forks you have a really high risk of accidentally mowing something - preferably a something and not a someone. My spider sense tingles say that's a bad idea, I've broken enough things with my tractor to know how to avoid putting yourself in risk situations. That's a risk situation.

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
For loader work, and on a machine with DPF, no need to run high revs....
I believe it should read with out DPF, no need to run high revs for loader and many other uses. Of course a mower, RC, etc that is supposed to operate at rated PTO RPM should be so.

NvRudder

Equipment
L2501DT, LA525, R14's, Bison NVHA210 84" RB, Allied 60" SB, Diamond C 10k Dump
Jun 15, 2021
Northern NV
Just wanted to attach info from the L2501 Manual regarding new tractor break-in period...as I noticed the dealer advised "Max Rev's" while mowing with this new unit:

OPERATING NEW TRACTOR
How a new tractor is handled and maintained determines
the life of the tractor.
A new tractor just off the factory production line has been,
of course, tested, but the various parts are not
accustomed to each other, so care should be taken to
operate the tractor for the first 50 hours at a slower speed
and avoid excessive work or operation until the various
parts become "broken-in". The manner in which the
tractor is handled during the "breaking-in" period greatly
affects the life of your tractor. Therefore, to obtain the
maximum performance and the longest life of the tractor,
it is very important to properly break-in your tractor. In
handling a new tractor, the following precautions should
be observed.
Do not Operate the Tractor at Full Speed
for the First 50 Hours

-Do not start quickly nor apply the brakes suddenly.
-In winter, operate the tractor after fully warming up the
engine.
-Do not run the engine at speeds faster than
necessary.
-On rough roads, slow down to suitable speeds.
-Do not operate the tractor at fast speed.
The above precautions are not limited only to new
tractors, but to all tractors. But it should be especially
observed in the case of new tractors.

hedgerow

Jan 2, 2015
Malcolm NE
Alter Glad to here you got your tractor. I looked real hard at the L2501 because I didn't want a DPF on the farm. I was replacing a Agco ST-25 that has been a great tractor that I use a ton in the summer for spraying. Wanted a loader this time to do small loader jobs and not ruin the yard every time I use the skid loader. I just made a 300 mile trip yesterday and pickup a MX-6000 with loader that I got a great deal on. I ran it about four hours so far and just love it. I think for me the more money spent will be a good thing. I hope the DPF is good. Enjoy the new {TOY} I mean tool.

May 25, 2021
IL
Alter Glad to here you got your tractor. I looked real hard at the L2501 because I didn't want a DPF on the farm. I was replacing a Agco ST-25 that has been a great tractor that I use a ton in the summer for spraying. Wanted a loader this time to do small loader jobs and not ruin the yard every time I use the skid loader. I just made a 300 mile trip yesterday and pickup a MX-6000 with loader that I got a great deal on. I ran it about four hours so far and just love it. I think for me the more money spent will be a good thing. I hope the DPF is good. Enjoy the new {TOY} I mean tool.
At first I was worried about the L2501 leaving imprints on the lawn, but honestly it doesn't tear up the lawn that much. I know it's not going to lift everything I attempt though but I think it's going to be a good first tractor. Not saying it is one that I'll stick with forever though. I wanted to make sure I would actually use the tractor once I got it, and not just let it sit before overspending on a bigger and better model. If I find out that I'm using the tractor a ton and constantly thinking of new things that I could do if only I had a bigger one, then I'm not ruling out trading up to a Grand L or MX in a couple years. Congrats on your new MX-6000.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I believe it should read with out DPF, no need to run high revs for loader and many other uses. Of course a mower, RC, etc that is supposed to operate at rated PTO RPM should be so.
Ah yes, that is meant to say without. DPF machines don't like running at low revs for long periods. But an L2501 really won't mind at all.

May 25, 2021
IL
Another item I just ordered is the "Piranha Bar" for the front loader, due to someone's suggestion in this thread (Thanks, ZTMAN). Haven't even used the bucket yet but making the bucket more able to dig into soil and sever small trees while protecting the integrity of the bucket is something that sounds good to me. I will start another thread once I get that if Ihave any feedback.

Also ordered the "Saw Haul" chainsaw holster to mount on the loader. Can't wait!

Last edited:

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Surprisingly I took delivery of the new L2501 over the weekend. I thought the dealer had to order it, he made it sound like he did but he actually had one in a crate that just needed to be prepped and get the 3rd function kit added. I already have 5 hours on the tractor and it has exceeded my expectations for mowing brush and saplings and clearing the trails. Since I do not have the Grapple yet, I was using the forklift for now, to move trees and it works very good for that purpose, for both moving logs and pushing back smaller trees that are leaning over the trails. I only came across two huge trees that I wasn't able to budge but I will be once I cut them with chainsaw. I have not even used the bucket yet but did a huge amount of work with just the rotary cutter and forklift. The trails are as nice as they have been in years. Happy with the purchase, and happy with the size of the tractor. Thanks for all the help on it.

The only thing now that concerns me is I have to find some metal skid plates to protect vulnerable parts underneath so I will look into that, as well as order a wicked grapple soon.

Edit:
One thing that I wasn't expecting is how fast the loader arms rises up and lowers. It's actually pretty touchy and more often than not if I try to lower it slowly it goes really fast down, so fast that when it stops, the momentum causes the rear end of the tractor to rise up a bit and it basically shakes the entire machine. I wish the loader moved more slowly since I really do not have a need that it moves fast and it makes for a really jerky ride. most of the time I'm trying to make very small adjustments, like lower it an inch, but instead it ends up going down 6 inches and then I'm re-adjusting unnecessarily.
Congratulations!

Wouldn’t worry too much about the loader. You’ll get used to it pretty quickly with a bit of use. Reducing rpm to lower flow rate will slow the loader’s reaction if that’s desirable as you’re getting used to it.