Advice for newbie

N1smo

Equipment
BX2380
Jan 29, 2021
Alberta
Hello guys. Just got a BX2380 with a FEL. I have a bunch of landscaping work planned around my property and I definitely need to get a better grip on how to use the FEL to do the what I need to do. I have read the manuals but I’m wondering if there’s any guides or videos that you guys would recommend?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Reading and watching are both good things to do - having said that, there is no BETTER way than just to do it!

Getcha a 5 gallon bucket - fill it half full of water, lay it on the ground and now see if you can slide the bucket under, lift, carry and place without loosing most of the water in the bucket. (use bricks in the bucket if you get tired of spilling!)

Know where the edge is located is the hardest part - you do have the "level indicator" on the bucket?

Another thing - if backing up, keep the hand off the stick!!! Everyone has changed the bucket height while backing up and poooof the bucket is raised and bad stuff happens!

Whatever you do - slow and go - smooth is better than fast!

Reactions: 4 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
learn by doing... start with a 'soft' pile, say mulch or topsoil. move from 'A' to 'B' then back to 'A'.
hopefully you have rear weight !

Reactions: 1 users

Mlarv

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 19, 2020
Crossville TN
If your brain says this might be a bad idea most likely it is. Up and down hills not sideways. Slow and steady wins.

Be aware of anybody that is around you and tell them to stay in eyesight. If they get out of your eyesight then stop and look for them.

It is easy get stuck even with 4wd. Learn to use the bucket to lift the front end and rotate it to push you out of the stuck.

Depending on the dirt work you want to do maybe get a Toothbar.

If you are planing on pulling or knocking over trees, remember gravity always wins.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Depending on the dirt work you want to do maybe get a Toothbar.

If you are planning on pulling or knocking over trees, remember gravity always wins.
excellent advice!

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
As others have mentioned, make sure that you have ample rear ballast and when you are moving with things in the bucket, keep it as low to the ground as possible to prevent a rollover.

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
Always be careful of loads that can roll out of the bucket and come back on you if raised too high.

Welcome to the forum, you’ll get a lot of good info here and get to know a lot of good people.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Practice practice practice.

In the old days with 2WD you would ram the pile with a lot of down pressure on the bucket to transfer weight to the rear wheels for traction.

With 4WD you can hit the pile very slowly and you actually want to be lifting as you go into the pile adding weight/traction to the powered front axle. You will see a huge improvement in full buckets when you get/use that weight transfer.

Personally, I would say don't rely on the bucket indicator as it is never exact to the job at the time and wastes a lot of time. It keeps your eyes off the bucket (bad practice). All it does is indicate level to itself, not the ground you are on. The "feel" should come quickly. I removed mine to reduce the visual clutter and the constant rattle.

Reactions: 3 users

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
agree with all above.
There's no better way to learn than seat time.

Justasquid

Equipment
L4240HSTC
Nov 2, 2020
Michigan
I love my level indicator. I've used tractors without them and it is difficult for me personally to not have one. I also use the Float function most of the time when going into a pile. I've gotten now to where you can barely see any witness of the bucket being on the ground. Just what ever pile I'm grabbing no longer there. Although I am usually on level ground, so that helps.

On youtube: Messicks, Good Works Tractors, and Tractor Time with Tim. All have been fun to watch and informative.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
All of the above. And I'll add that when bucket or forks are loaded heavy, to have the tractor in 4wd. A little bounce or down grade while moving with the front loaded will relieve the rear tires of most if not all of their traction thus braking power as they get lifted off the ground, even if not completely. Without the front drive engaged you're not going to have ANY braking power when that happens. And your un-breakable ride down the hill will probably at least require a change of your underwear.

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
First rule of carrying a load: always carry low.

Reactions: 2 users

N1smo

Equipment
BX2380
Jan 29, 2021
Alberta
Thanks guys! Got about 7 hours of tractor time this week. Going super slow and there’s a lot to learn muscle memory wise but I think I’m starting to understand some of the fundamentals.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
just 3 more hours abnd it'll be GREASE time ! Ibought a NEW greasegun ONLY for my Kubota and 'stole a shelf' where ONLY Kubota stuff goes...makes life a little simple.......
Be SURE grease comes out of every joint(both sides of 'joints')..2-5 squirtsthen 'exercise the lever',,then wipe off the excess.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
As other have pointed, experience is what ultimately makes you proficient. Knowledge can help you avoid some mistakes.

Here a a few channels that I have found useful:

Ritter Bit Will Do has BX and lots of good info (359) A RITTER BIT WILL DO - YouTube

GP Outdoors had a B series and now an LX series tractor, again you can gain a lot good operating info from him (383) GP Outdoors - YouTube

Finally, Tractor Mike covers lots of tractor related topic (383) Tractor Mike - YouTube

coachgrd

Equipment
BX 1870
Aug 1, 2017
Waterford, PA
Hello guys. Just got a BX2380 with a FEL. I have a bunch of landscaping work planned around my property and I definitely need to get a better grip on how to use the FEL to do the what I need to do. I have read the manuals but I’m wondering if there’s any guides or videos that you guys would recommend?
Excellent advice here. I'd just like to add to be watchful when backing up and turning one way or the other. I 'may' have donked a tree or two before with the bucket (and it's possible a vehicle too.)

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Neil Messick has a few youtube videos that describe how to use and how not to use it to avoid breaking your loader.