Advice for looking at a used BX2380

MikeVDP

Mar 30, 2021
Oregon
I'm going to look at a used BX2380 tomorrow that has less than 20 hours. Any advice on what to look at to make sure I'm not getting a lemon? I'm good with gas engines, but this is the first diesel I could potentially purchase.

foobert

Equipment
BX2380
Mar 25, 2021
Washington
I hope others chime in with more than the obvious: do a full functional check. Get it all the way up to temp, test everything possible. Check all the fluids and levels. With <50 hours, it’s not even due for the initial “break in” service yet, so, nothing to look at there. The warranty follows the machine — understand what coverage is in effect (maybe worth a call to the selling dealer on that).

Very curious what price is being bantered on this. After seeing 5+ year old machines that are in good shape, with low 3-digit hours and out of warranty selling for 85-90% of a brand new machine on the lot, it was an easy choice to just get a new one.

MikeVDP

Mar 30, 2021
Oregon
First, thanks for the advice.

Ugh, what a market. The seller agreed for me to look at it the next day at 2pm, as I was the first off person to contact him (it was on craigslist). Then two hours later, he said someone else was coming at 11am. What ever happened to integrity and honesty? Maybe I'm too idealistic.

So, he said if I came out that night, he'd give me preference, so I had to hightail it to his place 40 minutes away. It was super clean, 2018 model, and has 14 hours. I'm glad for the low hours too, since he didn't know how to open the hood to check the oil. He used it to till his garden.

It has a FEL (pin on) and a Land Pride RTR1250 tiller for $13,500. I was looking at new with FEL and 54" belly mower for $16500. Yes, it's only about 20% lower and doesn't have factory warranty, but given this market, I'm okay with it.

Now I need to sell the tiller and find a belly mower. Local dealer wants $1800 for one, but I have to put a non-refundable deposit down. I'll post on craigslist for a couple of weeks to see if one pops up.

foobert

Equipment
BX2380
Mar 25, 2021
Washington
Mower’s show up on CL all the time in my area of the PNW. Seems like a pretty reasonable deal. My BX2380, QA FEL, 60” MMM was $17.0 after rebates and no other budging beyond that from any of the nearish dealers.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
you should be able to get about $2000 for that tiller on CL, that'll cover your mower deck. I was just shopping used tillers, and scoffed at the ones listed on CL for $2000, but they were all gone in less than 24 hours! New they are around $2500.

Get protection for the hydro fan from BXpanded, although you wont really need it once the mower deck is on.

I can kind of understand the sellers position, CL can be a real bear, I usually go with the first guy who shows up with the money gets to take it. That was a great deal for such a new machine, pretty much brand new!

Welcome to the community!