Advice choosing between several different models…

JonathanP

Equipment
Kubota
Jul 22, 2021
Pinckney, MI
All models are HST with loaders and ROPS

Big/tall operator 6’6”/350lbs

L4701, MX4800, MX5200. Are they all pretty much the same machine, just with minor PTO differences?

Using the tractor to farm 10 acres, maintain a 1/3 mile swampy road, and clear several acres for hobby farm.

Reactions: 1 user

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
The MX’s are heavier than the L with the most notable difference (IMO) being loader capacity. Depending on what you’re doing, the extra loader capacity may or may not be a big deal. Same with weight. In general, a heavier tractor will lift and pull more. A lighter tractor is easier on ground you prefer not to damage (grass, dirt trails, etc.). A smaller tractor fits in smaller spaces than a bigger tractor (sounds obvious but in my case that’s why I have the L instead of a MX). 3 point lift capacity (IIRC) doesn’t vary much with those models. For PTO implements such as chipper, generator, brush hog, tiller; the weight difference in those models matters little to none. In general the bigger the tractor, the more the tractor costs and the more the appropriate size implements cost.

Once in a while when I’m pushing the limits of the loader or drawbar pull on my L4701 I think I should have bought the MX5400 that was sitting beside it at the dealer lot. Then I get to bush hogging the field with a few dozen trees planted in a 12’ grid or working in some cramped spot down in the woods or coming up one of the narrow side sloped trails out of the hollow and am reminded why I didn’t buy a bigger machine. Also, have been pleasantly surprised at how gently the L4701 on R4’s treats our steep dirt trails. Recently brought an oak tree back from the creek bottom in 7’ sections with the grapple. If I’d done that with one of our older 2WD R1 shod machines pulling the trailer I’d be fixing damage to the trail after. No repairs necessary after using the L even though it’s a heavier machine.

I’ve heard it said the L4701 has a lot of HP compared to its weight. Probably not an inaccurate statement. I run a chipper, bush hog, and generator. PTO HP over 30 HP is a big deal for me. Pulling 4 moldboard plows is not on my list of chores so weight wasn’t as important a factor. Stacking 2000lb hay bales isn’t on my chore list either, so I didn’t need the extra loader capacity.

Once in a while in these type forums someone will recommend against the L4701 because it’s an “orphan” as there aren’t multiple variants on that frame. Honestly, if that’s the way you make decisions on machinery purchases there’s no help for you,

They’re all solid machines. Not like there’s a “bad” choice there. Just depends on what you plan to do with it.

Reactions: 2 users

Vladhed

Equipment
B2401DT, old rear blade, RCR1248 rotary cutter, MK Martin SB54 snow blower
Jul 17, 2021
Perth, ON
I have never written the word diatribe before. Thank you for providing me with the opportunity.
Might want to look it up in the dictionary before using it again....

NCL4701

Equipment
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
You failed in your lengthy diatribe to address his body size consideration. I have never written the word diatribe before. Thank you for providing me with the opportunity.
Glad you got to use a big word today. 🙂

Lengthy yes. Diatribe, I think not as I would disagree that it qualified as haranguing, which is, by definition, an element of a true diatribe. Regardless, you make a good point. Particularly for a large person, sitting on the operator station to determine which fits best is a significant consideration.

I suppose I could have said, “ Get the L4701 because I have one and it’s swell.” But I don’t think that type response is very helpful to someone who is trying to make an informed decision.

Reactions: 1 users

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I would go with the MX5200. It's a little larger and you are a big man.

But, you should go sit on each and see what they feel like to you.

NCL4701

Equipment
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
You are correct. I will delete my post. Dialog would have been more appropriate.
I didn’t know the person posting could delete their own post. I went back to respond with a “laugh like” to your diatribe comment as I did find it humorous (regardless what your true intent was) and couldn’t find it. Learned something new today.

Now I’ll have to try to figure out how to delete this just for the heck of it.

Edit: Couldn’t figure out how to delete. Maybe because I’m on an iPhone. Maybe I’m just dense.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I didn’t know the person posting could delete their own post. I went back to respond with a “laugh like” to your diatribe comment as I did find it humorous (regardless what your true intent was) and couldn’t find it. Learned something new today.

Now I’ll have to try to figure out how to delete this just for the heck of it.

Edit: Couldn’t figure out how to delete. Maybe because I’m on an iPhone. Maybe I’m just dense.
I delete a lot of things. The improper use of the word diatribe made me seem mean. That was not my intent. Sorry for the stupidity on my part.

NCL4701

Equipment
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I delete a lot of things. The improper use of the word diatribe made me seem mean. That was not my intent. Sorry for the stupidity on my part.
No offense taken. My original post was admittedly quite lengthy. When my wife is catching up on previously DVR’d “Bachelorette” episodes but I must be present for together time, simple posts turn into novellas. She ran the wood splitter and stacked firewood with me two days last week so I guess I can’t complain too much about her TV choices.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Vladhed

Equipment
Jul 17, 2021
Perth, ON
No offense taken. My original post was admittedly quite lengthy. When my wife is catching up on previously DVR’d “Bachelorette” episodes but I must be present for together time, simple posts turn into novellas. She ran the wood splitter and stacked firewood with me two days last week so I guess I can’t complain too much about her TV choices.
The Bachelorette! I commend your restraint, I myself would have been driven to diatribe! 🤣

• Haha

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Since you are posting in the BX forum you should start with a BX. Then use your list as the upgrade train.

Posting on an anonymous user forum for opinions won't help you much. Putting your bottom in each seat and giving them a try will help you.

Decide what it is you want and talk to the dealer about a demo. Don't discount operator comfort and don't focus strictly on price. There's more than one way you pay for your tractor if you are spending thousands of hours in that seat.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I am only 6’…take with grain of salt….in general bigger tractor has a little more room in the operator station as you go up in size. Put your heavy winter gear on and go sit on a few and if they let you drive, drive them backward twisting and looking over both shoulders…that’s when you need the space. Maybe also look at the foot controls and if they work with your boots. Beyond that think about how long you plan to keep the machine and how much tractor you need years from now. I don’t know much about non orange brands, but your intro mentioned ‘swampy road’…I can tell you for a fact that in the kubota homeland the little orange monsters are used down in the patties….so I think they have a pretty good sealed axles / hub brake housing. Take a train from Tokyo any direction and you see the kubota driving through with axles under water. Very impressive. Beyond that between each mode you are considering what is the primary tasks…is maximum lift or pto or operator comfort what you need most…what will use most?

Cranblue

Feb 23, 2019
Lincolnton NC

L4701, MX4800, MX5200. Are they all pretty much the same machine, just with minor PTO differences?

Using the tractor to farm 10 acres, maintain a 1/3 mile swampy road, and clear several acres for hobby farm.
All you have mentioned have same plat form size !!! I have purchased floor

All three have same plat form size and no tilt steering !!! I purchased a Mx 5400 floor mat fits L4701. I’m 6’4 275 using tractor as needed off and on a lot of the time. You may want to sit on one of these models for feel and comfort. If your not comfortable or spending a lot of hours in seat Grand L may be better suited for your size ??? As mentioned there is a lot of misinformation that gets put out on the L4701 as an “Orphan” or way smaller than MX series tires and rears !!! Totally wrong according to Kubotas spec data. All three you mentioned are great models and would serve you well. Good luck in tractor purchase !!

Attachments

nota4re

Premium Member

Equipment
Case 580M Turbo; Kioti DK4210SE-CH; Kubota L2501 (Traded-in)
Aug 16, 2019
Newhall, CA
OP - I'm 6-2, 270lbs. I found it uncomfortable to sit on the L2501 and operate the treadle pedal - particularly when twisted around to look backward. My advice is to sit on all of the tractors you are considering and operate the pedals - both while looking forward and also when twisted around - as you would be backing the 3-pt into an implement to be attached, etc. The main thing is to select a tractor that you can be comfortable on for 2-3 hour stints.

Vladhed

Equipment
Jul 17, 2021
Perth, ON
I found it uncomfortable to sit on the L2501 and operate the treadle pedal - particularly when twisted around to look backward.
Exactly why I opted for a geared model (B2401), as none of the HST models have "cruse" that works in reverse. With geared model just put it in one of the reverse gears, set the throttle and your feet don't have to do anything.

DDCD

Equipment
1964 MF135, L2501
May 8, 2021
Oklahoma
Exactly why I opted for a geared model (B2401), as none of the HST models have "cruse" that works in reverse. With geared model just put it in one of the reverse gears, set the throttle and your feet don't have to do anything.
I have 0 issues with the 2501 pedal. I pick up my foot each time to go forward or reverse. It is not meant to rock back forth..maybe if you have giant feet.

HST is far more productive for anything except for mowing. I have a geared tractor for that.