Admitting a stupid mistake

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
This is about checking the simple things before assuming a more involved and complicated problem.

So I use my excavator, Bobcat 337D one weekend for about 10 hours shut it off and dont turn it back on until the following weekend.

I start it up and it runs just fine but the Hydraulic safety lockout isnt triggering when lowering the left console so no hydraulics work. Well some do but not the ones controlled by the lockout switch. So i figure i got a switch or wire problem.

I fiddle with the magnet switch (its not testable, its electronic 3 wire sensor that talks to the computer) and get no results.

Then i break out the wiring diagram and start testing wires. I trace wires from this switch to the computer (about 40 wires among 6 plugs) and find that 2 of the wires have the proper voltages 8v and gnd but the signal wire has no continuity and according to the wiring diagram it should.
So i jumper the wire from one end to the other and it works, everything work with a jumper wire so i figure i must have a break or bad connection at a mid harness connector somewhere likely buried and hard to get to.

I do the test one more time to confirm before digging into locating the bad spot and everything still works, lockout disables and then then POOF computer shuts off and nothing. Ignition on, nothing. ignition to start, nothing the computer is DEAD but a faint buzzing from the engine compartment.

So i check the fuses figuring i shorted something but all are good.

Start checking voltages and i got 13 volts everywhere including the power wires going to the computer....uh ohhhh.

Its about this time i figured i fried the computer somehow during my testing and jumpering wires. $1100 from Bobcat for a replacement.

I found a guy on ebay that will fix these computers from $350 -500 so i send off the computer. 3 days layer he gets it and says the computer checks out all good.

He only charges me $50 and i get the computer back in a couple days but its back to the drawing board.

At this point i have probably 4 hours into troubleshooting and $100 between shipping 2 ways and having that guy check the computer out for $50.

So I start with the basics and check the battery terminals. Sure enough they where oxydized with white powder and loose. Clean and tighten and all good now problems gone.

Feel so stupid but happy i didnt buy a new computer for $1100

Reactions: 8 users

Bark

Equipment
L4701/FM2560LA765/BB2560Pittsburgh disk Titan P forks
Feb 18, 2020
North CA
Changed a clutch safety switch and ignition switch on a truck for sort of the same reason. Glad you are back in service again.

Reactions: 1 user

cliffboyer

Equipment
L3301 w/LA525 loader, G5200 mower w/RC48 deck, Kawasaki 610 Mule, DR mower
Nov 30, 2017
Southern IL
All lessons come with a cost, be it money, time, pride, sweat, pain or blood...or any combination there of!

Reactions: 1 users

woodsy

Equipment
95 Kubota L3300DT W/FEL, 60" AgroTrend 3pt snow blower89 Arctic Cat 440 Panther
Apr 20, 2021
Maine
I've been kicking myself for ordering a new OEM fuel shut off solenoid
that I didn't need to the tune of $74.
While waiting for the part to arrive discovered the neutral safety switch
was not functioning properly so tractor wouldn't start.
I've got a spare fuel shutoff solenoid if I ever need one !
Like motionclon said, start with the basics. Run through the checklist like
airplane pilots do.

orange crusher

Equipment
BX 2680
Sep 30, 2017
ontario canada
Another teaching lesson from "University of Common sense". Regular routine PM and a daily "walk around" check go a long way to preventing similar scenarios, frustrations and aggravation.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
Not only did i re-learn the lesson of checking basics and simple things first, but i also learned that a voltage indication on a multimeter isnt always an indication of things being ok. I think the corrosion on the wire wouldnt allow the circuit to take a load. multimeter didnt show that.

BTW I think the corrosion problem on the battery terminal may have been self induced. Ive washed the engine compartment (where the bat is located) several times with simple green and high pressure water, maybe that worked in there and made the problem.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Motion -

Great story of starting with the basics, and a great lesson for newbies….always start simple…..always…..

We’re all guilty of violating it at one time or another.

If we say we never did, we’re either lying or never tried to fix something…..

Last edited:

Dustyx2

Equipment
BX22, M7060, Landpride RC-2512, Woodmax SB84
Feb 19, 2021
NE Wyoming
Not only did i re-learn the lesson of checking basics and simple things first, but i also learned that a voltage indication on a multimeter isnt always an indication of things being ok. I think the corrosion on the wire wouldnt allow the circuit to take a load. multimeter didnt show that.

BTW I think the corrosion problem on the battery terminal may have been self induced. Ive washed the engine compartment (where the bat is located) several times with simple green and high pressure water, maybe that worked in there and made the problem.
This is where a voltage drop test is useful. You need to be able to put a load on the wire or connection.
A light bulb as a test light can find that problem also providing the bulb has appropriate wattage.

MDCobraMan

Equipment
Kubota L3430 Grand Open ROPS, L3430 Grand Cab, F2400
Jun 8, 2021
Yep, you're not the only one to do something like that. Not many would fess up but thanks for doing so. It could be a great lesson for others.
Many years ago I tore out a trans and installed a new clutch only to still have slippage issues. Turned out the bushing on the clutch pedal under the dash was bad and wouldn't allow the pedal to fully release. At 16 years old that the was a very expense lesson.
Wayne