adjusting valves

pedro13

Equipment
L3130
Jul 8, 2013
Goodman, Missouri USA
I have a 2004 Kubota L-3130 and need to adjust valves. The maintenance manual only discusses it with engine removed. Valve cover is under a heat shield and gas tank. Not enough clearance to get it off. What is the method to do this or take everything off?

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
How did your decide it need a valve asdjustment…?? because the manual or some literature said-so…?? (B.S.)
In most cases…that is pure B.S.

While the valve clearance is a good recommendation… in 99.99999 cases… none is actually necessary. Don’t panic over this.

Reactions: 1 user

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
I have a 2004 Kubota L-3130 and need to adjust valves. The maintenance manual only discusses it with engine removed. Valve cover is under a heat shield and gas tank. Not enough clearance to get it off. What is the method to do this or take everything off?
You will have to remove the hood, fuel tank, heat shield, and some brackets to gain clearance for the rocker cover to be removed.

pedro13

Equipment
L3130
Jul 8, 2013
Goodman, Missouri USA
How did your decide it need a valve asdjustment…?? because the manual or some literature said-so…?? (B.S.)
In most cases…that is pure B.S.

While the valve clearance is a good recommendation… in 99.99999 cases… none is actually necessary. Don’t panic over this.
After using stethoscope to listen to everything I am tending to agree, thanks for advice and will just wait for signs of power problems

Reactions: 1 user

ferguson

Equipment
L3130
Jan 19, 2022
w.v.
My thought was there might be easier way and came to conclusion you were spot on and will decide later to see if I may need to do the adjustment
I aso have a l3130 just how many HRS do you have on your tractor

pedro13

Equipment
L3130
Jul 8, 2013
Goodman, Missouri USA
I aso have a l3130 just how many HRS do you have on your tractor
At this time it is 1600 with them all mine. I was an aircraft mechanic, turbine engine and prop and heavy lift helicopter, in Army so I am anal about fluids and filters. Most time a little brush hogging, picking up limbs and cutting wood. Snow pushing in winter. Believe in torque use and keeping it clean and always stored inside my 2,000 sq foot shop. Pampered is best way to describe it. Also worked on Oliver tractors before the Army, 1968. Changing the hydraulic return filter noticed the attachment was cracked. Dealer said it was out of warranty. Took pictures and sent letter to President of American Kubota and in 4 days received a call telling a letter would be there next day to refund purchase of new unit I had bought. Dealer still refused to refund, call California and it took 3 calls from them to convince dealer to refund. Never mess with old, retired man with lots of time on their hands.

Reactions: 1 users

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
Just neglect the maintenance, while you are at it forget about changing the oil till it gets so thick that you have power problems. ;)

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I've done them without pulling the tank. You have to take the plate off, or at least loose. That plate is under the tank but over the top of the valve cover. Its in the way, but if you just loosen it enough to let it move a quarter inch, the valve cover will come out if you wiggle it just right. Done quite a few like that. L3830 the other day but I can't recall doing a grand L with a 4 cylinder-do not know on those.