Adding three sets of LEDs to the MX.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I ordered three sets of Hella LEDs this week to install on the MX. A set of spot and floods facing forward and a set of floods facing rearwards. The kits come with wiring harnesses, relays and switches but I ordered a set of my favorite waterproof switches and will be using those instead.

Amazon.com: HELLA 357204821 ValueFit Cube Spot Beam Kit (4LED): Automotive
Amazon.com: HELLA 357204831 ValueFit Cube Flood Beam Kit (4 LED): Automotive
Amazon.com: MICTUNING 6 Pack Heavy Duty Toggle Switch 15A 250V 20A 125V SPST 2 Pin On-Off Switch Metal Bat with Waterproof Boot Cap for Car Auto Boat: Industrial & Scientific

I have VisionX light bars on my Jeep TJ and Ford F250 but ran a Hella light bar on the BX for a few years and was happy with it. I had the light mounted to the ROPs but don't want to go that route with the MX. The MX ROPs has pre-drilled holes near the fender mounted indicator lights so I'll make up brackets/plates that use those hole locations and mount the lights to the brackets. Should be a simple project. I'm hopeful that the chosen location for the lights works out well. The spots sitting out over the fenders should clear the FEL, and with the headlights (which are decent) in combination with the spots and floods I should be able to run the tractor safely at all hours ... which my neighbors will love I'm sure!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I started working on the no drill, no weld brackets for the ROPs this afternoon. Two sets of the LED flood lights showed up but the spots and switches won't be here for another week.

I've got the main mounting interface figured out. It uses five existing holes in the ROPs per side but I haven't decided on whether I want to add plates to support the lights or simple angle iron which would be minimalist. I think this is going to work out well, and once I pick up bolts, nuts, washers, and a tap I can get the four brackets mounted and then connect them with the flat bar I made from 3/8" plate scrap that I have laying around. All of the steel shown is recycled from other projects.

hella_01.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Just a quick update to give some idea of where this project is going. I'm an inveterate hoarder when it comes to steel so trying to use material from my scrap pile always slows down a build. That said, I've got the base brackets made up that use existing holes in the ROPs (see right bracket below). The top bolt threads into the bracket whereas the bottom bolts pass through the tubing and have nuts/washers on the opposite side. There's lots of finish work to do before I paint them such as plugging the holes, shaping, grinding etc.

I haven't quite figured out how I'm going to make brackets to support the three lights per side but I've decided that I want the lights to sit inside the ROPs rather than outside so that they're less likely to get abused. I want the spot to be as high as possible but not any higher than the top welded on nut shown below. A spot will be in the top position facing forward, there'll be a flood below that also facing forward, and a flood in the bottom position of the "tree" facing rearward.

I made the bracket stout because I intend to weld on tabs that will allow me to bolt on a heavy walled rectangular tube to span the ROPs behind the seat for a future accessory I plan on making.

light_bracket_01.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

Pawnee

Equipment
L2501
Jul 1, 2021
Ontario Canada
Brackets look great to me!
Nice to use 'scrap' steel.
Smart that you aren't changing the ROPs in any way.

Mike

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Brackets look great to me!
Nice to use 'scrap' steel.
Smart that you aren't changing the ROPs in any way.

Mike
Hey thanks ... and welcome! I plan on finishing the brackets this weekend and installing the lights. Still haven't figured out how I want to finish the brackets though. I want them to be functional but also want them to look like they came from the factory. I've never been that artistic so don't always have a vision outside of what's functional.