Adding rear remote using third function?

Rickklem

Aug 3, 2020
Alabama
I have a third function on my L4701 FEL that I use for my grapple. I want to add a rear remote and use the same activation buttons . I will not be using the front function at the same time as the rear remote.

Is there a kit availabe that would allow me to flip a switch and have the hydraulic' s divert to the rear? If not , I guess I could run two lines from the front disconnects all the way to the rear but I would prefer to just flip a switch if I could.

I want to use it to operate a hydraulic top link

Thanks for any helpful input.
Rick

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
You can use a 12 volt hydraulic selector valve. Think of it like an A-B switch.

Less than $200

Your existing lines from the third function become the two IN lines to the selector valve.

One pair of out lines from the selector valve go to the original front location of the third function.

The second pair of out lines goes to the rear remote location.

forum hydraulic selector valve.jpg

There are manual valves which act the same and cost about the same.

Dave

Reactions: 1 users

Rickklem

Aug 3, 2020
Alabama
I ordered the diverter valve, the rear hydraulic link, and a hose set from the rear cylinder to the rear remote hookup.

Is there a kit for the hose set from the diverter valve to the rear remote? And does it include a mounting hardware for the rear remote? Or will I need to have a hydraulic shop make the hoses for me? If so, what types of connections do I tell them I need?

I am guessing I could just route them along the frame toward the rear the best I can.

Thanks
Rick

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I'm not sure how much a shop will charge. I had one hydraulic shop press a relatively short hose for me and it was about $40. The good thing is they can make them to the exact length though. However, I know you can buy pre-made hoses from places like Northern Tool.

I wanted rear remotes when I bought my tractor, but the dealer talked me out of it. This would be a good alternative if I decided to have rear hydraulics later. I would love to hear how it all goes for you.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I ordered the diverter valve, the rear hydraulic link, and a hose set from the rear cylinder to the rear remote hookup.

Is there a kit for the hose set from the diverter valve to the rear remote? And does it include a mounting hardware for the rear remote? Or will I need to have a hydraulic shop make the hoses for me? If so, what types of connections do I tell them I need?

I am guessing I could just route them along the frame toward the rear the best I can.

Thanks
Rick

To be clear, the diverter should be close to the third function valve as shown below.

The first step is to get fittings which will fit the diverter valve. The one shown in my first post uses 3/4" x 16 ORB fittings. The 3/4 x16 is the thread size and thread per inch spec. The ORB stands for O ring boss. The fitting will have an O ring to seal itself to the diverter body.

You need 6 of these fittings.

Any hydraulic shop should be able to supply the 6 fittings and also adapters to fit to your current lines running to the front of the loader.

There is no kit which is going to do all the thinking for you but it is not complicated.

forum diverter.jpg

You can use the existing hoses which run from your third function to the front of your tractor to be the ones from the diverter to the front of the tractor.

Have new short hoses made to run between the 3rd function and the diverter.

You need new lines to run to the rear of your tractor.

Dave

Reactions: 1 users

Rickklem

Aug 3, 2020
Alabama
To be clear, the diverter should be close to the third function valve as shown below.

The first step is to get fittings which will fit the diverter valve. The one shown in my first post uses 3/4" x 16 ORB fittings. The 3/4 x16 is the thread size and thread per inch spec. The ORB stands for O ring boss. The fitting will have an O ring to seal itself to the diverter body.

You need 6 of these fittings.

Any hydraulic shop should be able to supply the 6 fittings and also adapters to fit to your current lines running to the front of the loader.

There is no kit which is going to do all the thinking for you but it is not complicated.

View attachment 49832

You can use the existing hoses which run from your third function to the front of your tractor to be the ones from the diverter to the front of the tractor.

Have new short hoses made to run between the 3rd function and the diverter.

You need new lines to run to the rear of your tractor.

Dave
Dave,

This is what I was needing , Thanks. I wasn't sure of what type fittings I should ask for and now I do. I had planned on mounting the diverter as close as possible to the third function so that I don't have to reroute the front hoses and I can keep the two hoses between the two valves as short as a can.

I have used hydraulics but I have never had a chance to install or maintain them so it's new to me. Once I connect everything is there a need to bleed the lines and diverter of the air and if so what are those steps? Also, should I need to add fluid to account for addition? If so I will need to find out what type.

Thanks
Again