Adding power steering to a B8200

DsBota

Equipment
B8200, G1800
Apr 13, 2010
Milton, Ontario, Canada
I just bought the power assist steering system off of a JD 400. It consist of the actuator valve which has the drag link extension and a separate ram. The ram has only a 5 inch stroke and when I measure my stock drag link movement it comes in at around 7 and a half inches. I was going to try the JD ram just to see how the system will work before investing anymore money or is this a waste of my time? Do I need to add a relief valve before the actuator valve?

DsBota

Equipment
B8200, G1800
Apr 13, 2010
Milton, Ontario, Canada
Still thinking about this. Does anyone have an idea of what bore cylinder would work best? I was thinking small like 1 inch as it would have a quicker response from my small pump.

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
Hey Ds. My B8200 has power steering. If your hydraulic box by the break pedal is the same as mine then the hoses are simple, the box is already plumbed for power steering. I'll take pics tomorow. I will give this some thought.:cool: Dusty

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
You said that it has a hydraulic cylinder seperate from the actuator valve. If that is so then $100.00 and you are in business. And if you can't buy one for that I will sell you one for that. And have it delivered. But let me make sure it is going to work for you. I bought it a couple of years ago to put power steering on my B7200. but never did use it. I don't think it even cost me $100.00. I know that the piston on my B8200 is smaller than an inch. Maybe it will work maybe it won't but I will help out where I can.:D Dusty

DsBota

Equipment
B8200, G1800
Apr 13, 2010
Milton, Ontario, Canada
Yeah the valve is separate from the cylinder. Princess Auto has a 1" x 8" cylinder for $115 (haven't shop around) but it has the snap ring ends on it. The idea that I have I'll need at least one end with a swivel eye end on it. I was going to attach the swivel end to the frame and then the other end to the drag link on the valve. What is the stroke of the cylinder that you have? The bore is smaller then 1"? Haven't seen to many like that. Is it new? I guess I should be asking this in a personal message.

Thanks Dusty

DsBota

Equipment
B8200, G1800
Apr 13, 2010
Milton, Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the pictures Dusty. I do have the same hydraulic block as you do. I'm hoping to attach the valve to the pitman arm side reverse to what you have. If there is room without interfering with the clutch. Your cylinder is a 1.5" bore is that what I should be looking at or is the one on your B8200 smaller?

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
Hi Ds. Sorry I didn't answer your question. I haven't measured the cylinder but an inch and a half should be more than enough for your steering.:D Dusty

DsBota

Equipment
B8200, G1800
Apr 13, 2010
Milton, Ontario, Canada
Thanks Dusty. Looks like you cylinder on your B8200 is smaller then inch and a half so maybe I'll look at 1" cylinders. Could I also trouble you by getting you to measure the stroke of of your cylinder? When I measure my pitman it travels about seven and a half inches so I would want something with eight inches of stroke?

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
Hi Ds. Sorry couldn't get the stroke on that cylinder. I have the loader off and all the hyd hoses are open. If I turn the wheel it spews oil. If you are happy with how short the tractor turns then stick with the 8 inch. If you would like it to turn shorter you can adjust the steering stops to make it turn shorter. Just looking at my cylinder it can't be much longer than 8 in.:D Dusty

DsBota

Equipment
B8200, G1800
Apr 13, 2010
Milton, Ontario, Canada
Thanks for measuring Dusty. I've been looking at the JD cylinder again and decided to make a bracket up for the steering knuckle and give it a try. It will allow me to get familar with the steering set up for when I get a larger cylinder.

DsBota

Equipment
B8200, G1800
Apr 13, 2010
Milton, Ontario, Canada
Today I went to princess auto to get the lines from the block to the valve made up. On the block where you hook up the power steering there is a couple of bolts used as plugs. So I took one of the bolts and the valve with me. Got home with the lines and grrrrr wrong fittings for the block. Not sure if they are going to even have the right ones. Looks like a fine metric thread. Should of double checked at the store.:mad:

DsBota

Equipment
B8200, G1800
Apr 13, 2010
Milton, Ontario, Canada
Finally got my fittings and was able to put it together. Works amazing even at idle:). I will eventually make a better bracket up for the steering knuckle and get new hoses for the cylinder. Have about $300 into it so far.

008.jpg 007.jpg 005.jpg 004.jpg

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
Thats great news Ds. It will seem like a new tractor. I spent prettyclose to $600.00 to put power steering on the B7200. I figured it was worth it. So at $300 you got a bonus.:D Dusty

DsBota

Equipment
B8200, G1800
Apr 13, 2010
Milton, Ontario, Canada
Yep I have been playing with it all afternoon. Did a couple of tweaks. Put my forks on my bucket, picked up half a face cord of firewood and was able to drive all over. Amazing! I lucked out and found the cylinder and valve on kijiji for $215 with shipping.

Jack

Equipment
B8200 BF300 FEL, 4530 Backhoe
Dec 20, 2010
Aurora, Ontario
I am new to the forum, and found your post very informative. couldnt help but notice pictures show Industrial tires on a B8200. Can you help as my dealer was not able to advise how to convert from turf tires.

Thanks Jack