Adding mirrors so I don't have to turn in my seat!

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I bought the Ebay magnetic mount mirrors a while back for around $60. They’ve actually been great even on our gravel road that is rough until I smooth it out.

warrencrew

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Sandra: L4060, Stu: L4060, Stu: M7060, Alternate: L3560
Oct 24, 2021
Marianna, Jackson, Florida, USA
I got real tired of trying to turn around in my seat to see if anyone was trying to pass me on my road as I was traveling back and forth to my neighbor’s house half mile up the road as well as working around the trees on my land, so I decided I needed to install mirrors on my B2601.
I use super glue to keep my mirrors exactly where I want them. When I finish mow, I cut the eyeballs out around trees to avoid weed whacking. So both mirrors must be absolutely perfect or I have to stop and reset. Absolutely essential!

We have a Lane Shark that we keep the sucker limbs down and the low hanging branches trimmed so it doesn't drive me to drink trying to keep the mirrors right.

Excellent job!!!

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I use super glue to keep my mirrors exactly where I want them. When I finish mow, I cut the eyeballs out around trees to avoid weed whacking. So both mirrors must be absolutely perfect or I have to stop and reset. Absolutely essential!

We have a Lane Shark that we keep the sucker limbs down and the low hanging branches trimmed so it doesn't drive me to drink trying to keep the mirrors right.

Excellent job!!!
How do you like your Lane Shark?
Plusses/minusis?

warrencrew

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 24, 2021
How do you like your Lane Shark?
Plusses/minusis?
I love the Lane Shark! It does what we need. It does require 2 of us to move in some positions, not as easy as it looks but we get it done. Practice makes perfect tho and we get better at is the more we move it around to different positions. It is awesome at it's job!

They said we couldn't run it on the L3560, but we do and it does great. The hydraulic fluid gets really hot if you let it run continuously, so I let it cool often by cycling.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I love the Lane Shark! It does what we need. It does require 2 of us to move in some positions, not as easy as it looks but we get it done. Practice makes perfect tho and we get better at is the more we move it around to different positions. It is awesome at it's job!

They said we couldn't run it on the L3560, but we do and it does great. The hydraulic fluid gets really hot if you let it run continuously, so I let it cool often by cycling.
What is your total hydraulic fluid capacity?
I have 15 gal, including all FEL & BH hoses, and have a good hyd. cooler.

warrencrew

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 24, 2021
What is your total hydraulic fluid capacity?
I have 15 gal, including all FEL & BH hoses, and have a good hyd. cooler.
I think the L3560 is about 12 gallons

I do want to mention, hope your tractor is cabbed as it throws debris everywhere. I wouldn't want to do it on an open station tractor! But that is just me ;)

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I think the L3560 is about 12 gallons

I do want to mention, hope your tractor is cabbed as it throws debris everywhere. I wouldn't want to do it on an open station tractor! But that is just me ;)
I wondered about that.
My L48 TLB is open station.

warrencrew

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 24, 2021
I wondered about that.
My L48 TLB is open station.
Oh I just remembered another thing I should mention. Keep something sharp like bolt cutters nearby, vines wind TIGHT around the spindle that holds the blades and prevents them from spinning. I have to do that a LOT. I don't remember having to do that on a regular bush hog, but it is regular on a Lane Shark.

Also, some of our issues are due to some loose bolts we think causing our issues with moving from position to position. We just noticed it this week. It sags down so we have to track down what is loose.

thirdroc17

Dec 25, 2013
Michigan
Custom Mounts? That's a great looking setup!!
Thanks, yes, custom mounts. Took me a while to get the exact lengths and angles worked out. Once in use, I might have been able to mount them a little closer to the cab, but it was kinda tough working out just far ahead they had to be to see and use them fully.

Mossy dell

Equipment
B2601 (2021) JD970 (1998) B2100 (1991) B6100E (1988)
Jul 20, 2020
sw VA
The mirrors adjust so easily they may be likely to get moved accidentally a lot. But to have rear view at all is a big win for me and my stiff old neck and back.

View attachment 64519 View attachment 64520 View attachment 64521
I was showing a friend who has done some cool mods to his BX my modest efforts, and I complained that my mirrors moved too easily. He pointed out there's a nut at the bottom of the mirror arm that you must tighten. Duh! Probably common knowledge or in the instructions I got.

Anyway these mirrors are now the bomb! They move when adjusted but are much firmer and afterward don't lose position. They adjust easily from my seat, side to side and up and down. The mirrors don't vibrate, the magnets are uber strong, and I love them. I think I'll use them more now that they are not always folded or too far out.

Mirror Left, Outside 8-21.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Frankb

Equipment
Kubota B2601, FEL, Backhoe, Belly Mower, Grapple, Rear Scrape Blade
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
I was showing a friend who has done some cool mods to his BX my modest efforts, and I complained that my mirrors moved too easily. He pointed out there's a nut at the bottom of the mirror arm that you must tighten. Duh! Probably common knowledge or in the instructions I got.

Anyway these mirrors are now the bomb! They move when adjusted but are much firmer and afterward don't lose position. They adjust easily from my seat, side to side and up and down. The mirrors don't vibrate, the magnets are uber strong, and I love them. I think I'll use them more now that they are not always folded or too far out.
I love mine!

Keadog

Equipment
MX 6000
Dec 22, 2021
Ohio
I used JB Weld and foldable golf cart mirrors from Amazon. Been almost a year without any troubles. They fold back if they it something. Not fancy but no drilling (and I can't weld).
IMG_9281.jpg

Mossy dell

Equipment
B2601 (2021) JD970 (1998) B2100 (1991) B6100E (1988)
Jul 20, 2020
sw VA
The DIY My Way channel on YouTube just uploaded a video on adding magnetically attached mirrors to his Kubota. He bought a kit, which he links to, from extrememetalproducts.com. He paid a lot more than I did for mine but it may be worth it to some for the convenience.

Reactions: 1 user

bbxlr8

Equipment
L2501 w/R14s, LA525, BH77, SGC0660, CL 5' BB, CL PHD, WG24 + Ford 1210 60" mmm,
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA
Those golf cart mirrors are SO cheap and nice with lots of options to easily attach.
I strongly suggest to future readers of this thread to explore them before buying a kit.

There are many other ways to spend your money on these tractors... :p