Adding media items?

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Either something has changed or I have reached another level of advancing senility.
I added these pics to "My Media" a while ago. (on two different dates)
Now I cannot figure out how to add more.
Someone with more functioning brain cells than I enlighten me please.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Either something has changed or I have reached another level of advancing senility.
I added these pics to "My Media" a while ago. (on two different dates)
Now I cannot figure out how to add more.
Someone with more functioning brain cells than I enlighten me please.
39CA884A-67D2-47EA-A75E-E45DED9D2063.jpeg

hit the 3 bars

E2F0D629-3E89-4AC8-9743-ECFF396FBDDC.jpeg

go to media (may have to minimize the “forum” tab or scroll down a little bit)
4E5214AA-7253-4AED-B1D0-B62C9B20E7CE.jpeg

Will pull up the list
C1D1D615-3F49-4C7D-88B6-54F2E7CF5B30.jpeg

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
I went to look at your pics and it says NOT SECURE!

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I put 6 photos in mine when Mr. K added the feature, but I don't remember how and have not searched back to help my forgetter to remember.

Maybe @Mr. K can lend a hand??

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Bill - - in your screen shot, to the right side/top, there is a Media choice...does that get you there?

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
First, I am missing those 3 bars:
View attachment 72760

2nd, I have been able to pull up that list, but I see nowhere to put any new pics with my existing pics, but only in the forum's media areas.
Try the link that says MEDIA. You'll get a drop-down like this if you click on the little down arrow beside it:

1641305256085.png

Add New Media is one of the options in the Drop Down.

If you just click on MEDIA, it'll take you to another page that lets you access ALL media, including your own.
1641305448652.png

Click on Your Content, and I'm assuming at that point the orange +Add Media button will add your media to your content.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
On second look, looks like you're not logged in completely or something. I don't see the 4 little icons (avatar, mail notification, watch notification, and search) at the top right like I see on the page on my machine. What browser are you using? I use Edge, because I can't think of anything that will work better with a Microsoft OS than a Microsoft browser. Try logging out and back in. I know it sucks to hear it, but sometimes you'll get corrupt data in your cache files too that won't let the page update itself. Might have to purge the cache. It's amazing how intertwined things are with the internet these days. PC's can barely run standalone anymore, and this is supposed to be better. I actually kinda miss the days of dial-up because my machine was connected to things when I wanted it to be. Disconnect it now, and Windows starts having all kinds of conniptions.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
I tried logging out to see what that does, and it gave me a login button and something else up there, so not sure what's going on, unless you just clipped it off in your screen capture.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Now that I've added media, it shows my stuff along with all the public stuff. I'm assuming I have control of all the photos I put on (haven't tried deleting anything yet), but they show up in a common list of photos along with a lot that are not mine. I guess if you're viewing a user's profile, and you click on the Media button from there, it filters off all but the media they added. Not quite sure how that filter works, but in order for me to narrow it down to just my media, I had to select "Your Media". Next question is if a user leaves the site or changes membership status, does that change their media to public domain, or does their media get deleted? @Mr. K ?

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Didja find the buttons?
I'd like to show my ignorance. Why would you want to add media?
When I first wanted to attach a picture in a post, I thought I needed to add it to the media folder, so I did. But then I figured out I didn't need to do it that way.
Also, what type files can be added - jpg, pdf, mpg?

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
If you want to use that same picture at a later time in another post, the media gallery makes it more convenient.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
1641345934402.png

Yup, I did a copy & paste with this picture. I notice that it has the OTT logo on it signifying that the photo is now the property of OTT, which it is.

I just do not remember how to add additional photos to my media album.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
I just do not remember how to add additional photos to my media album.
Click the MEDIA context link (small arrowhead by MEDIA) in the header, select Your Content, and you should be taken to a page to let you manage your uploads in folders. You can delete or move items between your folders. If you haven't created a personal folder yet, you will be required to before you can upload personal media. I'm not sure that personal means private, any moreso than posting the photo in a message on her. Using your personal media still gets the photos branded with the OTT logo but keeps them private until you post them, or someone looks at them under your profile. If you click on one of the photo thumbnails, you'll go to a page for that photo where it can be commented on. If you hover around the top left corner, you can select multiple photos. When you select the first one, another context menu will pop up at the bottom of the screen that will allow you to move the photos to a different album or delete them. That appears to be the only two options at the moment. I think once placed public, you can no longer delete them or move them. I could be wrong, though. Haven't tried that. I'm guessing putting them in a public folder releases all rights to the photo. Some things on here are not intuitively obvious to innocent lookers on. Sometimes, ya just gotta try that button. I know for a fact that it will accept JPGs, and probably WMV's. Dunno about any other format.

If you just click on the MEDIA link, it will show you ALL photos, even mine, I THINK. I see mine and all public photos when I look. Maybe you can see your own and all public stuff, but not other personal stuff. Not quite sure how that works on here. That's the part that's a little nebulous and lacking in definition. Still looking for the help page that says what media is permitted and how much privacy there really is. Not much, I think.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Well, I tried to upload a PDF for a test and from that, I got this information (in an error message after the upload).

" The following extensions are allowed: .png, .jpg, .jpeg, .jpe, .gif, .avi, .m4v, .mov, .mp4, .ogg, .webm, .wmv, .wav, .mp3, .flac "

Pretty much any photo, audio, or video file type, but no documents. I suppose this mitigates OTT's exposure to copyright infringements, somehow, by not allowing folks to post service manuals, etc. Doesn't stop folks from posting links to the files in cloud storage, though, but a link is not stored data. It's just directions to get to it. I'm not sure how the rules change for a street map to a drop point versus getting someone to hold illegal loot till the recipient picks it up. Maybe there's a difference in receiving stolen property [actual data] and receiving instructions on where to steal it. More importantly, the media type restriction prevents uploading documents with code and 'infectious diseases' such as Excel, Word, Powerpoint, etc documents with embedded code that could easily be malicious.

Another limitation is nothing larger then 5 MB, and a total of about 70 MB. I'm guessing at the total because I didn't look at available space before I put photos on. I show a balance of 64.8MB remaining with about 15 photos. So, keep the files as compact as you can if you want to share lots of photos, or plan on managing what you're sharing. Size, resolution, duration (audio and video) and filetype all play a role in file size, for those of you less savvy about data storage. I have no clue if the same restrictions apply to the public albums. Didn't test that (yet). It may be a per user setting.

If you just click the "+Add Media" button on the Media interface page, you will get this context menu:

1641400602273.png

Sorry I clipped it off, but below "or" at the bottom are the selections for your personal albums. I just did a window capture and didn't notice until after I'd pasted it in here.

From there you can select any public album to upload your media to, or you can select one of your own albums. I did a little more checking and putting your photos in your own albums gives you some access control. If you put them in public albums, you may forfeit any rights to them at all. You can set access limits on personal albums, but not individual files in the albums. So, you'll need to set up albums based on who you want to let see what, if you have any intentions of restricting access. I didn't look at all the access options, but you can set two access options, View, or Add, and then under that, WHO can do that, to a point. I'll leave to others to look more at that, but the general intent is to allow you to post media that you can have rated by viewers/listeners. As @Magicman pointed out, it also gives you some convenient storage if you find yourself referencing the same photos over and over. Another thing you can store is links via BB code to other media that is not yours, for instance, a video about the turbo-encabulator. That's probably the least space consuming option if you already have cloud storage that you like to use. You're dependent on that link being valid for a long time, though. As for how this might work for embedded links to photos in your albums, well, I simply don't know (yet). Deleting a photo from an album will quite possibly cause some broken links in message threads. This might be exacerbated by others using links to your photos if you allow everyone access to photos you may not be leaving on the site.

Just remember, ANYTHING you post on here becomes the property of OTT (thus the logo stamped on it), which I'm sure is due to some legal implication of them sharing or forwarding private property/data. Copyright thinks "ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup" so be careful what you post. If you don't want everyone and his cat to have it, protect it with available settings. If you need to do that, then strongly consider another venue for exchanging the media with whom you want to receive it. Just my opinion on the subject, not trying to stir up any trolls.

Hope this info helps.