Adding a "tractor-port" to my barn

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Get a couple of quotes from excavators or whatever you call people that do "dirt work". Thats not a big job I don't think. Think of it as an investment or permanent improvement.
You don't understand the terrain in CT. What he is calling rocks, might just be huge boulders that would need to be drilled and blasted apart to move or it might just be ledge that is next to impossible to move without blasting. I live about 40 miles north of him, and every winter, the boulders under the driveway find their way to the top under the asphalt. Once they get to be too large of a bump in the asphalt, I have to have the paving company come and cut a huge hole in the asphalt, and then they dig out the offending bolder, refill the hole and patch the pavement. Before the driveway was installed, we dug down 36" - 40", and removed every damn rock that we could find, and then put the material back and rolled it smooth. A few years later, it was paved with coarse asphalt, and then a few years after that, we put down the finish layer of asphalt. All was fine for about 10 or 15 years, but for the last 20 years, the boulders that were not found and pushing their way to the surface.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
You don't understand the terrain in CT. What he is calling rocks, might just be huge boulders that would need to be drilled and blasted apart to move or it might just be ledge that is next to impossible to move without blasting. I live about 40 miles north of him, and every winter, the boulders under the driveway find their way to the top under the asphalt. Once they get to be too large of a bump in the asphalt, I have to have the paving company come and cut a huge hole in the asphalt, and then they dig out the offending bolder, refill the hole and patch the pavement. Before the driveway was installed, we dug down 36" - 40", and removed every damn rock that we could find, and then put the material back and rolled it smooth. A few years later, it was paved with coarse asphalt, and then a few years after that, we put down the finish layer of asphalt. All was fine for about 10 or 15 years, but for the last 20 years, the boulders that were not found and pushing their way to the surface.
Interesting, Go on YouTube and check out the rock walls in Ireland. Pretty amazing. Merry Christmas.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
I'm 1/2 between the op and DustyRusty. According to the local health district I'm sitting right on a glacial till. Sometimes I read a post here about how difficult it is to dig through clay and just laugh.

Several years ago when I used a phd to put in 100+ 4x4's for the dog's fence I went thru damn near 1 shear bolt per post. 25% were caused by roots, the rest by a serious assortment of CT potatoes.

There is a 'dry water course' about 50m from our house. It has eroded to about 15' deep in some parts and exposed some really big boulders. One has to be at least 10' tall (can't see it all yet). If you were to dig a foundation and hit that, as DustyRusty said, time to call the blaster.

Reactions: 1 user