Add Weight to Box Scraper?

nota4re

Premium Member

Equipment
Case 580M Turbo; Kioti DK4210SE-CH; Kubota L2501 (Traded-in)
Aug 16, 2019
Newhall, CA
I have a LandPride BB1566 box scraper and I am using it to clear a field of weeds growing in relatively hard ground. I have the tines up and just trying to use the scraper to cut/roll maybe 1" of ground to remove the weeds and get a nice appearance. With the ground as hard as it is, the scraper - with just its weight, seems content to stay on the surface of the hard ground. I'm pretty sure I have the angles set correctly and I have played around with that to no avail. (Hydraulic top link arrives early next week so that will allow for more on-the-fly adjustment.) OK, do finally, the question: Should I experiment with adding some weight to the top of the scraper or would it just be better to put the tines down? What has been your experience?

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
A box blade has never worked well for me on turf…. it glides over the grass. Changing the angle of the blade (nose down) might help if the edge is sharp…. but generally if you want to remove the top layer of grass you may need a grader blade with a sharp edge.

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
A lot of my soil is hard red clay and no amount of weight would allow me to scrape the top inch or so. I would have to use the tines to get any results. Just set your tines at the least aggressive setting and have at it. Once softened up you can raise the tines and use the box to shape as needed.

Reactions: 1 user

Captain13

Equipment
M7040 4WD ROPS, ZD28, Woods (84” box blade, 72” harrow, 48” pallet forks)
Feb 27, 2019
Kathleen, GA
A lot of my soil is hard red clay and no amount of weight would allow me to scrape the top inch or so. I would have to use the tines to get any results. Just set your tines at the least aggressive setting and have at it. Once softened up you can raise the tines and use the box to shape as needed.
Agree. I had to cut drainage swells in my field last year. I dropped the scarifiers to get deep enough to get through the grass and that did the trick. I’m in Georgia and we have the hard red clay. To break that top clay “crust”, the blade would only cut withe the correct tilt and the scarifieres digging in. Btw, my box blade weighs in at 750 lbs.

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I box bladed about an hour and a half this evening. I am trying to correct the drainage on one side of the barn. The previous owners who built the barn did not slope the soil away from the barn on one side and water enters in some areas during heavy rains. The clay here is the absolute worst. It is like concrete. I resorted to using my bucket with tooth bar to cut down the soil and then finish it up with the box blade. It is working, but I have a ways to go. I have not used the box blade much and wondered if I was doing it wrong, but it sounds like clay is rough to box blade.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Do not hesitate to add weight to your bb. I have about 125 pounds on top of the bb to help it cut better. It will make a world of difference.

If I were to do it again I would tac a 4 x 4 square tube across the box blade and then cut 5 foot pieces of rebar to fill the tube. Then weld the ends shut.

nota4re

Premium Member

Equipment
Case 580M Turbo; Kioti DK4210SE-CH; Kubota L2501 (Traded-in)
Aug 16, 2019
Newhall, CA
Thanks for all of the input. I will experiment with weight as well as lowering the tines down and see what combination may work best for the soil that we have.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
My LP 1260 BB is way too light. I add 320 pounds to it regularly. It helps so much. I only use it on driveways though. If you are working up turf you're going to need to lower scarifies and tilt the box forward.

Reactions: 2 users

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
My LP 1260 BB is way too light. I add 320 pounds to it regularly. It helps so much. I only use it on driveways though. If you are working up turf you're going to need to lower scarifies and tilt the box forward.

That looks really great!

If width were not a problem, I think I would hang the weights so the majority of the mass was outside the box. I know at times my box blade fills completely and I think it might be better if I did not have concrete blocks sitting on the top of it.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
Yes I use them inside or outside depending on what getting done / trailering ect

huge difference with the weights.