Add grapple to pallet forks on a budget -- Precision Manufacturing vs Titan vs ???

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota
I do not think that I would use these all that often, the main purpose for now would be hauling brush to a burn pile. I was looking at the Precision Manufacturing product (their adjustable version is over 10 weeks out and about $1500 + shipping). Titan has a similar product, in stock, for under $1000. The Titan unit appears to be less sturdy, and the cylinder appears smaller but neither gives much in the way of specs. Precison is made in USA, I"m guessing Titan is not or they would mention it? I do like the idea of instant gratification and saving $500 but don't want to buy junk.

Has anybody laid eyes on either or both? Has anybody used either or both? Again, I don't want to spend a lot and don't think I'll use them for much more than moving the brush. OTOH, I didn't think I would use forks all that much and I think I used them more than my bucket last year.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
Why not just use the forks you have? I've moved huge piles, much bigger than a grapple could grab. Yeah, some smaller stuff might drop off the pile, but for limbs and brush you'd be amazed at how well a pile will stick to itself.

Reactions: 1 user

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota
I have done this in the past, but I'm normally grabbing a pile that is wider than the tractor, so need to drag back and shake a bite-sized chunk free of the pile. The tree canopy is low enough that I can't just lift the chunk up far enough for the other stuff to fall away.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I like this idea, especially if you already have good quality forks. But go for the good quality unit.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I have both Titan forks and a gantry crane. The products might be made by children in China but I have no complaints. I have no problem recommending Titan products . My two items are heavily built and should last a lifetime. The prices seemed reasonable to me. Good luck.

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
I have both Titan forks and a gantry crane. The products might be made by children in China but I have no complaints. I have no problem recommending Titan products . My two items are heavily built and should last a lifetime. The prices seemed reasonable to me. Good luck.
Hey, even those children in China need jobs too! You want them to sit at home watching Tik Tok videos all day?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Precision makes quality products. I have their tree sheer, and their products are made in Sedalia, Mo.

57plymouth

Equipment
Kubota L3901 with FEL, 1955 Ford 900 Row Crop
Oct 26, 2020
Blythewood, SC
I bought a grapple and pallet forks from MTL Attachments and I've been VERY pleased. I spent hours and hours researching this. I bought a smaller grapple than my bucket. I bought the 48 inch grapple under the concept that a lighter grapple allows for more material to be lifted. Plus, my L3901 is not a bulldozer so it doesn't need to be lifting herculean efforts over and over. For the pallets I went with shorter forks for the same reason to an extent. I also worked under the logic that a 42 inch fork will work with most pallets unless they are super heavy. And if they are super heavy I don't need to be lifting them anyway.

When you order, be sure to specify what couplers you have. He sent me the AG couplers I needed to match the tractor.