A youtube question

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
I mean really you see green tractors, and blue ones and a lot of old red ones,, and thats all cool. I just wonder why you dont or at least I havent found one bailing hay, or doing real farm work, not that I doubt they are not being used every day for real farm work. But when a guy posts a LITTLE JD pulling a square bailer, and its working,,,,, I am depressed :)
Kubota has historically focused on the Compact and Subcompact tractor market. They have the largest marketshare in the US and also cater to governments (mowing, snow removal, city maintenance, etc). They have chosen to start small and work up.

Deere has done the opposite. They started on the farm, grew larger machine business from the onset. SCUTS and CUTs were just an afterthought to get market penetration in that segment. They are now pushing into that market more. I do think they have done a pretty decent job getting into lighter construction projects. Excavators and CTLs are competitive for their weight classes.

They used opposite approaches..but I think Deere has done a better job getting into the CUT market than Kubota has done with big farms. They just released the M7, which really isnt a Kubota built machine. Im not a fan of that personally.

Last edited:

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Actually there is a very significant difference between my JD and Kubota. Both are approximately the same hp but the JD has 3 cylinders where the Kubota has 5. The Kubota's torque is absolutely dependent upon RPM's. The JD (with the large pistons) has 'lugging' power that does not exist with the Kubota. My JD is simply more of a 'work horse'.

Both have their place and I would hate to loose either of them.

Hkb82

Equipment
M7060, Ford 5600, can-am defender
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
Dealer relationships have a big part in the large farming communities. I’m sure it’s just like the gmc or ford or Ram debate. Case and deer and others have been putting out large ag equipment and used better marketing to reach farmers over time then orange. So when you see the youtube generations posting videos they are already team red or team green. That’s just kinda what I think for the large farming videos. They all have their pros and cons and I enjoy watching a jd work just as much as a Kubota. Lots of YouTube content on smaller Kubota tractors but not as many of my 7060. If I were starting a farm it might not be a bad idea to promote the heck outa Kubota. Maybe they would loan you some of them big boy toys like I see John deer does to so many other large scale farmers. Now that’s marketing at its finest. Here play with this 8rt for a few months. I’d call green the best with perks like that also lol

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
I mean really you see green tractors, and blue ones and a lot of old red ones,, and thats all cool. I just wonder why you dont or at least I havent found one bailing hay, or doing real farm work, not that I doubt they are not being used every day for real farm work. But when a guy posts a LITTLE JD pulling a square bailer, and its working,,,,, I am depressed :)
I'm pretty sure I saw the same vid. I've pulled a bigger baler with a Farmall H, which had similar HP, but is much heavier, and the rpms max at 1700. I bet that the plunger really ran that tractor back and forth.

I watch a few farm YT channels. Kubota doesn't really make anything big enough for the big grain operators to do field work with them, and most of the small scale guys run old iron.
Kubota is also at a disadvantage in that they don't offer a complete line of equipment. They bought Landpride a few years ago, and they have some hay equipment now, but those are recent developments. I think that the hay equipment is just rebadged from a different manufacturer, or used to be at least.

There are plenty of videos out there from any of the small tractor manufacturers; it's just that a lot of them are some guy that's had his tractor for 5 minutes and decided to post some videos.

Reactions: 1 user

Hunters gun

Equipment
“My gun collection is bigger than your gun collection”
Oct 18, 2021
PA
I have farmed with 2 Kubotas (M126x & M135x) for over 10 years, but also have larger Massey and Case IH tractors for the big time stuff (large square balers, disc mowers, spreader wagons).
The Kubotas do pretty good with round baling, raking, tedding, and bush hogging.
I think farmers prefer legacy brand farm tractors and trust them a little more, although Kubota has made vast inroads into everyday smaller farming. They also bought Knvernland to manufacture hay tools.

Reactions: 1 user

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
There are probably far more John Deere tractors in existence in the USA than Kubota. Many of those in my area are over 30 years old and still working a "full schedule". The older units without code throwing electronics are still very desirable to the smaller farmers. If I were a farmer with 200 acres looking for a tractor in the 100 hp area an older John Deere would be my pick based on price , dependability, parts availability and residual value. I lust for a beastly 4020 and have bid on a few at auctions. Check them out on YouTube . The most popular model ever sold by Deere. Manly sounding as well.

Oo-v-oO

Equipment
2000 B7500
Oct 31, 2021
Central NH
Local guy has a varied fleet that includes at least one Kubota. He has a disc mower on it in this picture I took last year.
This field can be very wet so I'm sure he uses it because it has 4wd and allows him to scout out the areas to stay away from without getting in trouble.

Attachments

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
As far as I know, Kubota doesn't sponsor anyone. I know of a couple of channels that run compacts sponsored by TYM. I know of one channel that runs ~10k acres sponsored by case IH. Agco, Versatile, Unverferth, and others do demo's.