Status
Not open for further replies.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
Is there a way to block some members from viewing threads controllable by the original poster of thread?

Too often a couple members here scream and yell about what gets posted and cry to have it removed or for members to be banned all the while insisting they be a part of the very conversation they are trying to silence.

I dont think the "ignore" feature will accomplish this.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Not that I know of. I assume you want to make yourself “invisible “ to whatever reader you want.

There is a way for a reader to block seeing the posts of someone else (ie I can make it so I can’t see your posts or you can make it so you don’t see my posts). I’ve used this but it is a bit annoying to see posts answering some questions but not the questions. You also end up seeing posts anyway that people quote in their replies.

I suggest you block a few people that irritate you and see how it works out for a day or two.

I recall that you do the blocking in your profile setup but don’t really recall the details.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Is there a way to block some members from viewing threads controllable by the original poster of thread?

Too often a couple members here scream and yell about what gets posted and cry to have it removed or for members to be banned all the while insisting they be a part of the very conversation they are trying to silence.

I dont think the "ignore" feature will accomplish this.
That would be a really cool feature. I would bet that it is possible but the question would be two parts; would the site owner allow it and is the software capable?

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560 HSTC, Grader, Backhoe, Snow Plow, Pallet Forks
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
The only comment I have is that this is an open forum for everyone to see, you start blocking and you lose that forum definition. If you don't want someone to see what you think or what ever, either don't post it, or post it someplace else.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
The only comment I have is that this is an open forum for everyone to see, you start blocking and you lose that forum definition. If you don't want someone to see what you think or what ever, either don't post it, or post it someplace else.
I agree, open forum, shouldnt have to block however, the problem is a small handful of people cant control the emotional reaction to things others may type out. Thats the issue of the reader, not the writer as long as the writer is within written rules of the forum.

Also the very people who scream for the forum rules to be applied , actually break the rules and suffer no recourse that i can see. This causes a confusing situation.

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560 HSTC, Grader, Backhoe, Snow Plow, Pallet Forks
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
I agree, open forum, shouldnt have to block however, the problem is a small handful of people cant control the emotional reaction to things others may type out. Thats the issue of the reader, not the writer as long as the writer is within written rules of the forum.

Also the very people who scream for the forum rules to be applied , actually break the rules and suffer no recourse that i can see. This causes a confusing situation.
I agree with some of your observations and concerns, but like watching the news or going thru 'facebook' I see things that I have no interest in or completely disagree with, but ignore it and move on or just pass over it. Too much going on to be too concerned about things others think. I have a cousin who is totally different politically and tries to goad me into an argument, I just move on without comment and forget about the antagonism. I just had to grow a thicker skin.

Palmettokat

Equipment
M6800, B2710, L6060, Volvo 5 ton excavator and implements.
Apr 21, 2020
South Carolina
I don't get it. In my area Ford and Chevy pickups are almost a religion with many. Some will argue almost to blows, well not quite there. What I find so amazing is some will tell you how sorry the other brand is and how the other brand is the only pickup worth having. Then they get in their Dodge or Toyota or what ever else and drive off. In pickups have owned three of these brands. It does not matter to me which brand of pickup you own. You are entitled to have a sorry pickup. It will not upset me, I will not argue with you. But will be glad to have an honest, decent conversation as to why I prefer the brand or brands I do and not the other(s).

Why can we not be adults on any topic? If you want to eat horse meat eat it. If you want to eat only vegetables please do so. But please don't think you are totally right and myself or another is totally wrong. As best I know only The Lord God is always right and doubt he owns any pickup.

If you want to solve any issue, you can only do so with reasonable conversation. You can not solve it with no conversation, nor being honest on each other's position. Be honest and if you look back at your own life your position or way you do something has changed because of another person's reasoning to do so. If not you have not learned much in life. Not one of us here or else where is perfect, sorry. I will and stand up for my beliefs but willing to have honest conversation on each one and willing to listen to your reasons also. Kenneth

Reactions: 2 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
A lot of personalities form a society. Arguing with someone is a waste of time unless you just enjoy the sport and perhaps think that changes a persons thinking.

Usually a person is influenced more by a first person story. Whether the listener accepts the point of the story or not they get a better insight of that person. Maybe if they reject the point being told they think about it and perhaps later modify their opinion.

Take the post by Cave Creek Ray describing the training he went through while in the Air Force. You may not believe it, you may try to disagree with it, but it is his story. He lived it. It was stressful for him and undoubtedly formed a part of his personality. It is an example of a powerful communication tool and puts credibility to his belief expressed about this country he defended.

How many times have you as an individual given advise, suggested how to do, or not do something to someone and they just ignored the advise. This may go on for a long time with several conversations. Then one day, while that person in setting in a restaurant having a bite to eat, the person setting in the both behind them makes the same comment you been making. The person hears it, and all of a sudden it is the truth. They get it! It's the third part influence.

If something offends someone it's pretty easy to just not answer the call or email or text. Anyone who enjoys conflict, or trying to win someone over, will continue trying to communicate, just don't answer!

Reactions: 1 user

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Unfortunately, recently, a LOT of people are buying into "fake news". I don't care who you are, if you are doing something based on bad info, you need to be educated/told that.

Easy example - Several months ago we were all told by the media that "Covid lasts for weeks on almost any surface" (first time in history BTW). - Now there are actually people out there putting money in the oven etc. based on BAD information.

Now the CDC has corrected the BAD information. Covid doesn't last on almost any surface for any length of time. When I posted this the first time, it was deleted, I was never told why.

Some people are afraid because my father "added" to the covid numbers when he NEVER had it, and NEVER got it. But someone somewhere is scared because they said my father had it. That is bad information and fear from bad information.

You should always try to help people see the truth. You will never convince the willfully ignorant IMO, but you should still try to get to the truth.

Reactions: 1 users

Mr. K

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 14, 2009
www.orangetractortalks.com
While this is an interesting suggestion, our goal is to keep OTT open and accessible to all. I've clarified some questions in a related thread just below so closing this one out for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.