A fun day ...

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
I thought the same thing when I got mine. The mounting flanges will bend outwards toward the sides of the bucket quite easily when you snug it down and remain in that position. You'll only have a bit of a struggle mounting it the first time...BTDT

EDIT: If I recall correctly, I cut a 2x4 to fit inside the width of the bucket in order to brace the sidewalls of the bucket when installing the piranha bar. That kept the sidewalls of the bucket from deforming which caused the mounting flanges of the tooth bar to bend out flush to the bucket.

Edit/Edit: Never mind, I just saw that you already installed yours. :sleep:
Still ...that’s good to know. Thanks!

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
I thought the same thing when I got mine. The mounting flanges will bend outwards toward the sides of the bucket quite easily when you snug it down and remain in that position. You'll only have a bit of a struggle mounting it the first time...BTDT

EDIT: If I recall correctly, I cut a 2x4 to fit inside the width of the bucket in order to brace the sidewalls of the bucket when installing the piranha bar. That kept the sidewalls of the bucket from deforming which caused the mounting flanges of the tooth bar to bend out flush to the bucket.

Edit/Edit: Never mind, I just saw that you already installed yours. :sleep:
I didn't see any deformation in the bucket, and what I read on the site, the mounts are supposed to flex out to the sides. They're pretty thick, and it's gonna take a LOT of force to bend them. I don't have a clamp (that I can tighten enough) to pull those out without the bolts in them. I tightened the bolts with an electric impact that I've had since about 1979. I've wrung off 1/2" bolts with it, so I know it'll get 'em tight. With them as tight as I dared put them on with that impact, there's still nearly 3 threads showing inside the nut. 2 threads is supposed to be enough to hold the shear strength of the bolt, but I've never been one to trust or test that theory. I like seeing at least a couple threads of the bolt sticking out of the nut. I thought they were 1/2" bolts, but they're actually 5/8".

My bucket has a small tear-drop shaped reinforcement in the corners, which adds 1/4" thickness to each side. My guess is to keep from ripping the side panels out of the bucket. I'm wondering if BXPanded compensated for that thinking I'd measured to the side panels of the bucket, despite their instructions to measure the narrowest distance at the bucket edge. They also asked for the total length of the cutting edge. The bar is about an inch shorter on each end (2" shorter, total). Not a problem, just an observation. The bar length matches the inside width of the bucket. Not sure having anything sticking out past the bucket sidewall is useful. I'm pretty sure that I'm not the first customer with my bucket model number, so they've probably tweaked their design a time or two for measurement errors.

It sliced through the first root I hit with it like hot butter. With the bevel of the cutting edge turned up, it'll peel anything out of it's way, between teeth or on the ends. Smaller roots would stop the factory edge from digging at all. I keep saying, I'm very happy with the product, but the packaging could be improved. Were it good packaging to start with, this post never woulda happened, which in a way, would actually be a bad thing. Not that the damage not happening would be bad, but that thorough review of part of the quality of a purchase would not have been discussed. Perhaps if a survey is permitted, it would be more useful to collect data on who has the Piranha, and was the box destroyed when received. Would be interesting to see how many received it with pristine boxes.

Most of us grownups are excited to see our new toys and seldom look at the packaging. At Christmas time, kids take the gift out, throw it down, and go play with the box, especially toddlers. I guess that's the difference in living long enough to judge a box based on what it's intended for.

drewzee87t

Equipment
L45 TLB, B2910 Turbo
May 20, 2016
misery
It sucks when stuff gets damaged.

Getting all huffed up about it is bad for you. You always do better with a light touch when you need someone to help you out. And the Fedex guy probably be back with some other of your toys, so maybe not want him upset.

I am sure it will be fine. It's like a first scratch on your new car, tractor, deck? and glad you like the tooth bar.

Reactions: 1 users

OrangeKrush

Equipment
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
As promised I would get back to you with my shipping results..

Just received my tooth bar a little bit ago.. packaging was same as yours but held up nicely. Fedex delivered it and I must have gotten choice handlers! Box is near perfect!

Wowsa is this thing sharp! Done a paper test on the blade and it cut it cleanly! I know I will be very careful not to leave the bucket up and unattended..

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Wowsa is this thing sharp! Done a paper test on the blade and it cut it cleanly! I know I will be very careful not to leave the bucket up and unattended..
That's a very wise idea. BTDT.

I actually keep a thick rubber mat on my garage floor to cushion the tooth bar when the tractor is parked. I keep the loader bucket pointed down with the tooth bar on the rubber mat.

OrangeKrush

Equipment
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
That's a very wise idea. BTDT.

I actually keep a thick rubber mat on my garage floor to cushion the tooth bar when the tractor is parked. I keep the loader bucket pointed down with the tooth bar on the rubber mat.
That’s a good idea.. I have just the piece for it. The 3/4” horse mat not being used at the moment that I took off the rear blade. Plus you give me another idea of maybe slicing a piece of pvc I’ve had laying around for a while. Just in case! Thank you!

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
Suggested by those here, I cut a slit down the length of old PVC pipe. I had to cut a sliver out of it for a gap in the PVC, but I can just pop it on the tooth bar when I park the tractor. I could just set the bucket flat so the toothbar is flush to the ground, but I don't like the cylinders extended and exposed by making the bucket lay flat.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Here's my gaurd:
IMG_0001 4.11.41 PM 4.11.41 PM.JPG IMG_0003 4.11.41 PM 4.11.41 PM.JPG

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I cut the slot on my mill & took out 3/8". Even with that much material removed, I still have to tap it onto the edge with a rubber mallet. I also cut a second one out of black ABS, which goes on a little easier, but I don't like it as well, it tends to disappear in the dark garage. White works better for me.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Good idea, especially in a garage where one might not be wearing good footwear. I turn my bucket slightly forward and push down just a bit when I park it, but right now, it still lives outside. But go look up my shed build thread. Finally got under way today.