Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
IMG_0807.JPG

The Beach and 'Sunning' is not my thing but I was obedient. That is my empty chain in the center in the shade.
IMG_0805.JPG

But I was 'game' for some fishing the next day. The slot size limit is 18" to 27" and my beauty came in at 25". A much larger Red broke off which didn't matter because it would have exceeded 27" plus the limit is one keeper Redfish per day. The other keepers were all Black Snappers.
IMG_0832.JPG

We rented a pontoon boat and motored over to the....
IMG_0817.JPG

Pensacola Naval Air Station where we watched the Blue Angels flex their wings.
IMG_0838.JPG

We drove home through the remainder of Hurricane Nicholas yesterday and had to slow down to a crawl several times. I vacuum sealed the filets' so we will be enjoying a few meals of broiled filet' topped with etouffee.

Reactions: 10 users

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
Nice and some fine eating.

I live about 2 hours from Surf City on the NC coast, enjoy the fall fishing there.

Only problem is I enjoy bow hunting as well so I have to divide the time and usually deer hunting gets the majority of my free time.

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
Got back last week from Cape Lookout, Surf fishing... 2 keeper Reds, 27" and 20"; half dozen pompanos, Dozen good size Blue fish and 50-60 mullets (whitings). Sleeping without AC really sucked since the wind decided to not blow at night!?!

Will end up spending most of my time in Nov. looking for deer on our mountain property... too bad we can't hunt from our house in Raleighwood. Seen more deer there.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
sun up Fish till slack tide then hunt till dark
Tomorrow hunt from sunup to incoming tide then go hunt

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I go there a few times a year. R&R for sure. Usually drive out to the end of the island on weekdays, very few want to pay the $15 entry. Fine with me. Relaxing, but can give you a feeling of isolation which isn't always that bad. The other down is that it's 25mph speed limit and enforced, and with 25mph it takes forever to get to the end. And there's nothing out there to speak of, other than an old fort.

Seen the blues fly many many times over there. Always a good show.

I always try to get Capt. Dewberry to give me (or us) a trip out to sea for some dinner, and we're never disappointed. Yes it costs. Yes it's worth it. 2 year ago I got the biggest I've ever had, 51lb red snapper. The very next day, in almost the same place, another gentleman from Alabama hung a BIG sailfish. This year we went and the sharks were eating our catch before we got it to the boat. Still managed a few mingo's and a few smaller amberjack's.

If you guys have never been saltwater fishing try it. If in Pensacola area, look up Fish Frenzy Charters. Super cool guy, smaller boat, one-on-one. I fished with another charter out of Orange Beach three years ago, 48' boat, had about 18 anglers on board and while fun, it was work, and it was also not as relaxing. With Capt Dewberry, it was myself, my soon-to-be FIL, and the captain on a 26' boat, plenty of room to move around, talk amongst ourselves, etc. The bad, a 26' boat is much more "bouncy", although it was no big deal to me, it was more of a big deal to my soon-to-be FIL. He had a little issue with his knees, they are bad anyway and moving around a bobbing boat is considerably tougher for him. We rode about 9 miles or so to sea, there is nothing to be seen anywhere but water. About 120' water depth, we were reeling in triggerfish by the dozens, snapper of all kinds (black, mangrove, lane, red), amberjacks, a few suckers, and a few mackerel on topwater. You're reeling fish out of 90-100 foot of water with a pound of weight on it, the fish are decent sized (5-50 lbs), they do not give up. I was using a chicken rig with minners and several times had two triggerfish on the line. Triggerfish is like a giant bluegill, and they fight like a giant bluegill too. It is a TON of fun, and if you are not in shape like me, after 4 hours of fishing (or catching) you will be worn out. They clean the fish for you, they bait your hooks (I prefer to bait my own), they tell you were to drop your baits, all you do is fish and catch. Great experience and exactly why I go back as often as I do. I do some crappie fishing locally and it's usually tightlining a minner with a BB size weight in 15-50' of water. Fun. Same deal out in the gulf, but the fish are 10x the size, the bait is 5x the size, and the "lake" is deeper and clearer. You can see a fish 50' down, if you're fishing in 50' of water you can watch them attack your bait. Try it sometime.

If you're fishing with cap dewberry, he docks at the little marina which is RIGHT behind the best restaurant on the island. They clean your catch, you take it inside and tell 'em how you want them done. Absolutely delicious! The only thing I don't care for is the bar, they get a little loud sometimes. I don't drink and don't care to be around it, but I also understand everyone's different....you can have them cook your catch while you sit at the bar and have a beer, and they actually kind of encourage it. I had a glass of tea 3 weeks ago while waiting. The Spanish Mackerel came out superb and wasn't that expensive to have 'em make a meal out of it.

Reactions: 2 users

Outnumbered

Equipment
Kubota L3901, FEL, BB1260, RCF2060, FDR2572, Titan Forks, Caryall, 5' Tiller
Oct 26, 2019
Moseley, VA
Hey Magicman, it looks like I was in Hatteras the same week you were on the coast. We had a great two weeks of fishing too.
IMG_2232.JPG

IMG_2197.JPG

IMG_2236.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I always try to get Capt. Dewberry to give me (or us) a trip out to sea for some dinner, and we're never disappointed.
I was not disappointed with the charter that we had but I did look up Capt. Dewberry and Fishing Frenzy. I liked what I saw and the cost was the same.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
We did that the last week of August. We rented a condo in Destin big enough for the kids and grandkids. 😎😎😎😎

Boys went fishing. Got some reds, and one of the grandsons caught a shark 👍👍👍👍

20210827_203009.jpg

20210826_133638.jpg

I got my pineapple drink 👍👍👍👍

Resized_20210825_182419(1).jpeg

Resized_IMG_9435.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
It is so nice to see the fun times everyone are enjoying!

As the postcard caption says “ wish I was there!”

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Gosh - all you guys, those pictures look so good.

I’m jealous! 👍