89 B8200 hst 4wd with some blow by

jcmiller77

Equipment
Kubota B8200
Nov 5, 2022
New Hampshire
Hi All,

I bought this machine a couple of months ago. I am seeing exhaust come out of the breather tube. I have seen several posts about using MMO to unstick rings. For this tractor, it’s not burning any oil. I have changed oil and filters what is obvious to me is this machine was not maintained. I don’t know the exact hours because the hourmeter is broken. The engine oil was a deep black and the air filter had a date on it from 2012. The hydraulic fluid that came out was browned like coffee(picture below). I don’t seem to have a loss of power and the machine runs well no strange noises. I’ve seen a couple of products that say you should use a flush. My local Kabota dealer gave me some advice of to just start using the machine the way it was intended to run. Clearly, opinions will vary, but I’m just curious to see what others have had success with. Thanks for the input.

Attachments

My Barn

Equipment
Kubota, Ford
Sep 14, 2022
Michigan
Welcome to the site...
Diesel oil always looks dark...If it wasn't used air filter would be ok? How many hours does it have on it. Follow the schedule that Kubota, one should be on the tank.
The hydraulic oil shouldn't be that dark...Good call changing it! The Tach/hour meter should be a cable I would replace it after checking if it's bend some where? From the picture looks clean. is the loader off the tractor?

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Gear or hydrostatic transmission. From the color of the transmission fluid I would guess gear?

Deep black engine oil in a diesel is normal. Mine gets black in an hour after an oil change...

jcmiller77

Equipment
Kubota B8200
Nov 5, 2022
New Hampshire
Gear or hydrostatic transmission. From the color of the transmission fluid I would guess gear?

Deep black engine oil in a diesel is normal. Mine gets black in an hour after an oil change...
I spent the time and removed the loader to make the maintenance easier. Non one had a guess at the hours. I did try the cable first. That wasn’t it. I have the part just have not put it on yet. The hour meter gear housing on the front of the engine. That is next weeks project.

jcmiller77

Equipment
Kubota B8200
Nov 5, 2022
New Hampshire
Welcome to the site...
Diesel oil always looks dark...If it wasn't used air filter would be ok? How many hours does it have on it. Follow the schedule that Kubota, one should be on the tank.
The hydraulic oil shouldn't be that dark...Good call changing it! The Tach/hour meter should be a cable I would replace it after checking if it's bend some where? From the picture looks clean. is the loader off the tractor?
Thanks!!! It took a bit to get the loader off. I doubt it had been removed for years. I have the new tach hour meter gear housing for the front of the engine. Replacing that next week. Have to drain the coolant and pull lower radiator hose to fix that.

Attachments

My Barn

Equipment
Kubota, Ford
Sep 14, 2022
Michigan
Thanks!!! It took a bit to get the loader off. I doubt it had been removed for years. I have the new tach hour meter gear housing for the front of the engine. Replacing that next week. Have to drain the coolant and pull lower radiator hose to fix that.
I would be interested to know how you make out with the tach? Do you have a owner's or shop manual. The bottom radiator hose comes in few version.

jcmiller77

Equipment
Kubota B8200
Nov 5, 2022
New Hampshire
I would be interested to know how you make out with the tach? Do you have a owner's or shop manual. The bottom radiator hose comes in few version.
I have the shop manual, but I have not found the instructions to replace this piece. It looks straight forward. The bottom picture is the lower radiator hose. Tomorrow I find out if Kubota got the right part when I pick it up.

Attachments

jcmiller77

Equipment
Kubota B8200
Nov 5, 2022
New Hampshire
Still curious if it is a gear tractor or HST. If gear, I would be less concerned about the hydraulic oil than if HST.

As My Barn said, good that you changed it...
It is the hst. That seems to be running fine. I am just trying to go through the machine and make sure everything is working. I spent 4 hours getting the 3 point arms working. The were rusted and didn’t swing from side to side at all. The 3 pt adjustment handle also wasn’t turning. Works like a champ now.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
It is the hst. That seems to be running fine. I am just trying to go through the machine and make sure everything is working. I spent 4 hours getting the 3 point arms working. The were rusted and didn’t swing from side to side at all. The 3 pt adjustment handle also wasn’t turning. Works like a champ now.
I am surprised that HST oil changed to that color. In my tractor the HST shares the same fluid as the hydraulics, and I would bet yours is the same. Mine comes out at change time as clear as when it went in.

I think, but don't remember for sure, that some have reported HST oil turning a brown color if over heated. Perhaps someone that knows for sure can comment on this.

Anyway, you got that brown stuff out of there, and good stuff replaced it. You can watch and see what happens.

What fluid did you use to replace what came out? Kubota product, or?

jcmiller77

Equipment
Kubota B8200
Nov 5, 2022
New Hampshire
I am surprised that HST oil changed to that color. In my tractor the HST shares the same fluid as the hydraulics, and I would bet yours is the same. Mine comes out at change time as clear as when it went in.

I think, but don't remember for sure, that some have reported HST oil turning a brown color if over heated. Perhaps someone that knows for sure can comment on this.

Anyway, you got that brown stuff out of there, and good stuff replaced it. You can watch and see what happens.

What fluid did you use to replace what came out? Kubota product, or?
Kubota udt2 is what I used.

jcmiller77

Equipment
Kubota B8200
Nov 5, 2022
New Hampshire
Finished getting tach running today. Had to remove the radiator to be able to swap out the part. I needed to drain the coolant anyway. Working like a champ.

Attachments

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
That's a nice machine!
Check all the wheel bolts for proper torque. (also not rusted in place)
Make sure all your pins and joints are taking grease.