72” Scraper Blade

Clt1bkc

Equipment
Kubota MX5400 Rops
Jun 27, 2020
Tigerville, SC
Put 3 hours on my new MX5400 cleaning up my 400 foot driveway. We just completed our house build and nothing had been done to this driveway in 7 months. Just got tractor last week and my plan was to use my 72” scraper to get it back to an acceptable level.

I split the width in 5 sections. 2 on either side of center. Turned the blade so I would drag gravel to center. Made 3 passes on each section The last 3 passes were down center. it made a huge difference but not 100% satisfied. This was my first time using the tractor and I would say I am 80% there.

My question is I didn’t spin the blade around on the last passes. Should I?
Thanks

Palmettokat

Equipment
M6800, B2710, L6060, Volvo 5 ton excavator and implements.
Apr 21, 2020
South Carolina
If spreading gravel, maybe. Know some recommend it. What about the job did not please you? I assume you are new to a rear blade, they do take some time and use to get a great job. Most any implement does. We don't have true gravel road but do a mix of seashells called coquania. My experience is to rotate the blade to push the material towards the center of the road. The amount of angle needed will be based upon condition of the road, material and even speed you travel. Material will move up hill more so with faster speed. This will push the material to the center of the road but it also gets the blade riding on more than one dip or high place on the road. Using a rear bald at 90 degree angle to tractor as a box blade is made does not work for me. Again I have never plowed gravel but three passes on the middle seem like a lot but no idea how wide your driveway is.

Clt1bkc

Equipment
Kubota MX5400 Rops
Jun 27, 2020
Tigerville, SC
If spreading gravel, maybe. Know some recommend it. What about the job did not please you? I assume you are new to a rear blade, they do take some time and use to get a great job. Most any implement does. We don't have true gravel road but do a mix of seashells called coquania. My experience is to rotate the blade to push the material towards the center of the road. The amount of angle needed will be based upon condition of the road, material and even speed you travel. Material will move up hill more so with faster speed. This will push the material to the center of the road but it also gets the blade riding on more than one dip or high place on the road. Using a rear bald at 90 degree angle to tractor as a box blade is made does not work for me. Again I have never plowed gravel but three passes on the middle seem like a lot but no idea how wide your driveway is.
The driveway is about 10-12 feet wide. I had a few areas not completely smooth. Going to start again tomorrow and do the same work to see if I can get the few areas smoothed out. It was in really bad shape but now it is much much better. I don’t see needing to make as many passes

Palmettokat

Equipment
M6800, B2710, L6060, Volvo 5 ton excavator and implements.
Apr 21, 2020
South Carolina
Sounds like you are doing well. A rear blade is not hard to use, try watching some youtube videos. Pay attention to the angle they have the blade rotated and tilted along with travel speed and regardless the result notice what the result is. Every body with a youtube video is not an expert. Still those who fail show you what not to do.

Reactions: 1 user