7100 HST PTO Problem

Tomgc61

Equipment
7100 HST
May 16, 2022
Staffordshire
Bought what I thought was a nice 7100 HST from a dealer in Somerset. Attached a brand new flail and used for a couple of hours on grass. PTO sound stopped and when I checked the pto lever would not engage the drive and I have no pro on either the mid or rear drives. The lever is attached to the shaft and still moves into the three positions - mid - neutral and rear but nothing happening. There was no obstruction at the point when the pto stopped just cutting long grass.

Interested to hear any thoughts. Dealer said "check the manual" !!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Does the shaft move?

When this "stopped working" the PTO was engaged - yes? And the lever had not moved to your knowledge?

I would say that something "inside" has broken - can you turn the pto BY HAND with the engine off and with the lever engaged in any position?

AND I would go back to the dealer and tell him to go to __ __ __ __ .................

Tomgc61

Equipment
7100 HST
May 16, 2022
Staffordshire
Does the shaft move?

When this "stopped working" the PTO was engaged - yes? And the lever had not moved to your knowledge?

I would say that something "inside" has broken - can you turn the pto BY HAND with the engine off and with the lever engaged in any position?

AND I would go back to the dealer and tell him to go to __ __ __ __ .................
Thanks for your reply. The PTO was running when it suddenly ceased to run. Engine running fine. You can turn both the mid and rear PTO's by hand with the engine off and on with the lever in any position.

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
Hopefully the dealer will help with that one, or your going to need to open up the trans and have a look at the shift fork/gear cluster. I think there is an over run clutch as well, but I don't think it effects the mid pto.(without having a manual in front of me.)

Tomgc61

Equipment
7100 HST
May 16, 2022
Staffordshire
The dealer sold this without guarantee as it was a trade in but he said it was well maintained and fully operational. I think the fact that it failed two hours into my usage is outside of his description. If this is a reasonably inexpensive fix then I'm happy to go ahead but do you think this is likely to be more than that? It would be a shame as I really like this tractor and was looking forward to using it.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
The dealer sold this without guarantee as it was a trade in but he said it was well maintained and fully operational. I think the fact that it failed two hours into my usage is outside of his description. If this is a reasonably inexpensive fix then I'm happy to go ahead but do you think this is likely to be more than that? It would be a shame as I really like this tractor and was looking forward to using it.
Start here with a free download of the WSM

http://kubotabooks.com/AutoIndex/index.php?dir=Tractor Owners Manuals/&file=B7100HST_WSM_complete.pdf&AutoIndex=ee0a37a1ed6f3fa74ae29ef5f7b51717

1652815336491.png

1652815388647.png

Last edited:

Lencho

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100hst
Jan 21, 2017
NM
Wow!
So now apart and it seems the bearing has come loose and the shaft is snapped in two View attachment 80508
Is there a problem with the new flail mower? That is a solid shaft to have broken. Do you have a slip clutch on the flail? Can you post photos of that set up?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
You have a picture of the bearing too?

I wonder IF a new bearing was placed back on and the entire shaft was aligned perfectly ....... could it be welded? Or would that simply break again at the same spot?

Tomgc61

Equipment
7100 HST
May 16, 2022
Staffordshire
You have a picture of the bearing too?

I wonder IF a new bearing was placed back on and the entire shaft was aligned perfectly ....... could it be welded? Or would that simply break again at the same spot?
So that is what is happening as we can't source a replacement and the ,machine shop is confident that the repaired shaft will be at least as solid as the original. It's not straighforward needs drilling, dowelling and welding and then machining but these are experienced engineers who do this sort of thing everyday so I'm hoping that will be that!

I'll post an image of the repair. By the way, found that my 7100 is from 1978 so no spring chicken!

Attachments

Lencho

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100hst
Jan 21, 2017
NM
So that is what is happening as we can't source a replacement and the ,machine shop is confident that the repaired shaft will be at least as solid as the original. It's not straighforward needs drilling, dowelling and welding and then machining but these are experienced engineers who do this sort of thing everyday so I'm hoping that will be that!

I'll post an image of the repair. By the way, found that my 7100 is from 1978 so no spring chicken!
That’s a good looking tractor. Glad to hear you are doing the repair.
with the flail off the tractor can you rotate the flail by hand? It seems like it must have jammed to break that shaft.

Tomgc61

Equipment
7100 HST
May 16, 2022
Staffordshire
That’s a good looking tractor. Glad to hear you are doing the repair.
with the flail off the tractor can you rotate the flail by hand? It seems like it must have jammed to break that shaft.
Thanks! I did find a new one and I can rotate it. Only anti clockwise and I can hear the hammers turning so it hasn't jammed as far as I can see.

Tomgc61

Equipment
7100 HST
May 16, 2022
Staffordshire
Tractor is now repaired. Shaft had to be repaired as replacement unavailable but it was done properly and I'm assured it's at least as strong as the original. Interestingly the machine shop said the shaft had been repaired before
3dda3ff6-a1fb-418f-8bc4-9dc643cd7cda.jpg
480a06ab-be95-4ba8-bd5a-8ec447ceebad.jpg