55" EA Wicked Root Grapple Dolly

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I only base the question about flat spotting based on decades of experience with heavily loaded machinist rollaways & carts, mechanics rollaways and the like. All I've ever owned have flat spotted to one extent or another, usually dependent on how often they were moved. Ironically, the wheels I've had the least problems with are the cheap hard plastic wheels on my cheapest mechanics rollaway from Craftsman.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
I only base the question about flat spotting based on decades of experience with heavily loaded machinist rollaways & carts, mechanics rollaways and the like. All I've ever owned have flat spotted to one extent or another, usually dependent on how often they were moved. Ironically, the wheels I've had the least problems with are the cheap hard plastic wheels on my cheapest mechanics rollaway from Craftsman.
Lil Foot, that's strange that the cheapo wheels would give the best performance. Go figure? Now you've got me curious about what my caster wheels are made of. When I blast and paint my backhoe dolly I'll see if I can find a makers mark or part number and find the material these wheels are made of. I took a couple of pics of them and you can see they'll actually crush small bits of whatever happens to be on the concrete floor. They were take offs from other equipment so already had signs of some abuse but no flat spots like you mention. They originally came from a business that dismantled equipment for scrap and would sell useable items to the surplus store here. I could have and wished I would have bought the whole 55 gallon drum full of these wheels back in the early 80's. Even though the ones that can still be had today work as well, these wheels are beasts and stand up to anything. I have them under my metal work table, heavier implements, and large cabinets full of metal parts and equipment. If/when I find out the actual wheel material I'll post the info or send it to you just FYI. Here's a couple of pics:
Backhoe Caster Wheels.JPG
Caster Wheel Width.jpg

regards,
david

Reactions: 1 user