50 Hour Maintenance Done Today

DeepWoods

Equipment
B2650HSDC Woodland Mills WC68 Wood Chipper
Apr 10, 2019
Bigfork Minnesota
Well I have 50 hours on my B2650HSDC now, so today I did the first oil and filter change. I ordered all the needed supplies from my dealer a couple weeks ago in anticipation of hitting 50 hours. $160.00 for all delivered.

Oil change went ok, except getting the original engine filter off was a little difficult as the radiator hose presses against the filter, so getting a filter wrench on was a little difficult. When I pulled the drain plugs, the copper seal on one side was deformed, out of round. Of course I didn't foresee that so no extra seal to replace it. I reinstalled the out of round one and will watch it carefully for a while to make sure it doesn't leak. I will replacing an order with the dealer to get new ones if needed.

I used the vacuum trick when I replaced the HST and Suction filters. It worked almost too well as it actually pulled fluid from the reservoir into the vacuum hose. I had my wife hold the hose a little off center on the hole when I changed the second filter and that seemed to work better. I lost a total of 1 quart of fluid that was replaced after the filter change.

One thing I noticed when replacing the HST filter is that it seemed to bottom out when I tightened it. As in a solid metal to metal with no cushion from the O ring on the filter. I checked for leaks several times after letting it run for a while. No leaks so far, but I will keep checking on it but was wondering if anyone else has experienced this with new filters?

It took me about 3 hours to go through everything on the 50 hour maintenance list. But I took my time. So far the only complaint with my new toy is that the FEL seems to be a little weak, as in doesn't have enough breakout strength. This is my first tractor, so I have nothing to compare it to. It does lift a full bucket of material, so maybe it is just my technique that needs improving.

Anyway, I'm having fun with all the things I can now do with it. I will be digging stumps later today creating another new trail in my woods that would never be possible without a tractor and backhoe. Just wanted to say thank you for all the info I have found here. Invaluable to a new owner as myself.

Big Gee Tn

Equipment
L2501
Dec 12, 2018
White Pine,tn
I just finished the 50 hr service on my 2501 also. When changing oil ,I refilled with 6 qts of Valvoline 10w30 and it is showing about qt too high on dipstick.While changing hst and hyd filter I decided to change fluid to SUDT2,to my surprise while cold, it is quieter, but has a much louder whine when at operating temp.Im not concerned just surprised after many on here had the opposite results.Really happy with the machine so far ,a very capable tractor for the 25 hp rating.

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
Glad to hear it all went smoothly. Frequently the HST or Hydraulic filters are the bear to get off the first change.
As far as the loader, you could test it with a known amount of weight if you're concerned. There are some good YouTube videos that demonstrate loader techniques that you may find helpful. Just ramming a bucket into a dirt pile will not work out too well. Not implying that you're doing that, but there are some subtle techniques that will make the loader work a lot smoother, more efficient, and easier on the equipment.
Anyway, enjoy your machine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

nbking

Equipment
L2501HST 4X4, Rtv-x900
Jul 8, 2018
Sonora, CA
I did my 50 hour on my L2501 yesterday. Only had a hard time with the suction filter, the other two came off no problem. I too used the shop vac trick. Worked pretty well, lost about a quart. Very minimal metal dust on the hyd filter magnet. Glad the new one had a magnet already. I think that is a great idea, all filters should have a magnet there, those ones you stick on the outside cant work as well. I too was ready to put in 6 quarts of oil, but ended up using 5 1/4. Ran it a bit, checked again, and put in about another 1/4 quart. Overall very happy with how it went. I have just under 1 year of operating, so the 200hr is pretty far off.

DeepWoods

Equipment
Apr 10, 2019
Bigfork Minnesota
Well after checking one last time for leaks, I headed out to dig stumps. Got to my new trail, and looked under the tractor one more time now that everything was at operating temps, and saw that the plug with the distorted copper washer was dripping. So back to the garage we went. Got her in and took a better look at things. Didn't want to try to wrench on it any tighter as I don't think it will help being out of round like it is. So I will be calling the dealer in the morning to see if he can throw a half dozen in an envelope and send them by mail. Hoping to avoid a $10.00 shipping charge. If not I will head into town on Wednesday, as that is our next scheduled trip in. Hopefully I can find a replacement locally if it cost to much to ship from the dealer. I wasn't to disappointed to not be able to dig stumps, it's 86 out so I spent the afternoon inside where it's cool.

I'm going to drain the oil into a new plastic pail when I pull the plug so I can just put it back in the engine after getting new copper washers installed. I will make sure everything is as clean as can be to keep from contaminating the new oil.

Big Gee Tn

Equipment
L2501
Dec 12, 2018
White Pine,tn
I think I got lucky with my filters ,as they were not overly tight.I also had just a small amount of metal dust on magnet and just a hint of some brass dust in drain pan.I think it looked good all around ,for the break-in oil change.

DeepWoods

Equipment
Apr 10, 2019
Bigfork Minnesota
Well I called the dealer this morning, and he only had two copper washers in stock. $1.89 each and he didn't even charge me for postage to put them in the mail. Can't ask for better service than that. So I should have them later this week. However, we decided to go to town today anyway and I was able to find a copper washer at a local hardware store. The inside diameter was a little to small, but I bought it anyway just to get my tractor running today. The cost at the hardware store for one little copper washer, $2.25. Time to give my dealer more buisiness.

tradosaurus

Equipment
Kubota MX5400 HST, Land Pride RCR2660 , EA 60" Xtreme grapple, EA box blade
Mar 7, 2019
Texarkana, Tx, USA
Well I called the dealer this morning, and he only had two copper washers in stock. $1.89 each and he didn't even charge me for postage to put them in the mail. Can't ask for better service than that. So I should have them later this week. However, we decided to go to town today anyway and I was able to find a copper washer at a local hardware store. The inside diameter was a little to small, but I bought it anyway just to get my tractor running today. The cost at the hardware store for one little copper washer, $2.25. Time to give my dealer more buisiness.
Are these crush washers? And why copper? I do have a box of assorted crush washers but they are steel.

tradosaurus

Equipment
Kubota MX5400 HST, Land Pride RCR2660 , EA 60" Xtreme grapple, EA box blade
Mar 7, 2019
Texarkana, Tx, USA
Why are people changing the HST fluid when the manual calls out for it to be done at 200 hrs?

And how do you know that the new tractor transmission isn't filled at the factory with Kubota UDT-2 fluid?