$50 DIY Backhoe Dolly (with videos)

WichhartAcres

Equipment
Kubota BX23s
Mar 27, 2021
Nebraska
Hope all of my fellow tractor enthusiasts are having a great day! I wanted to pass on what I learned by building my own Backhoe Dolly for my 2020 Kubota BX23s!
The dolly is rock solid and makes storing it a breeze! The casters I used are dual locking casters which means they lock the wheels from turning and also from swiveling.
They are from Home Depot and I have found that they are the only casters that I like to use. All others fall short it seems.
I realize that if you don't have the welder that the price of this project goes up a bit but this is a Build-It Yourself forum so I made the assumption that you would have access to a welder.

Let me know what you guys think!

here is part 1

here is part 2

Reactions: 1 user

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Nice job - great fabrication work

- only comment I can add - getcha a good bungie cord and strap the two stabilizers in the up position. They will fall over time - no matter how new or old they are. If they fall a bit, there will be no way to push them up until you get the hydraulics hooked back up. Thus moving it from point A to point B could get to be real fun!

Reactions: 1 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
nice !
but...
about a writen 'bill of materials' / plans fo us guys without speakers on our 'puter s ?
also , next video, please stand behind tractor, makes it easier to see what's going on....

I suppose after 3 years I should make one of them carts...then I could unpack the 3PH and install it....

DeepWoods

Equipment
B2650HSDC Woodland Mills WC68 Wood Chipper
Apr 10, 2019
Bigfork Minnesota
Nice job - great fabrication work

- only comment I can add - getcha a good bungie cord and strap the two stabilizers in the up position. They will fall over time - no matter how new or old they are. If they fall a bit, there will be no way to push them up until you get the hydraulics hooked back up. Thus moving it from point A to point B could get to be real fun!
I made my dolly from wood, and it works great. I did use a strap to hold the outriggers up while stored, which works great till I forgot to remove them when I reattached my backhoe and snapped my brand new strap while lowering the outriggers. Made a sound like a gun being fired, needless to say, scared the snot out me. Haven’t forgot since to remove that strap.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
I made my dolly from wood, and it works great. I did use a strap to hold the outriggers up while stored, which works great till I forgot to remove them when I reattached my backhoe and snapped my brand new strap while lowering the outriggers. Made a sound like a gun being fired, needless to say, scared the snot out me. Haven’t forgot since to remove that strap.
Amazing how loud noises get our attention, and make us remember things. Just glad the strap or hooks didn't hit you. Even a 500 lb break strength strap is going to make some pretty dangerous projectiles outta those hooks.

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
I made one out of wood, but it’s not a dolly, just a platform. Im forced to leave my BH outside. So far I haven’t left the strap on the downriggers yet lol

mchulick

Equipment
BX23S
Apr 11, 2021
Nor Cal
Great video! I have been thinking about building a dolly for awhile.
Would you mind sharing the a BoM and dimensions??