5 acres - hills -T2290

DAW3

Jun 18, 2021
United States
Good evening-

I have about five acres to mow, about 50% of which is fairly steep (30 degrees?). It’s too steep for a zero turn. Pretty smooth, though. Mostly interested in mowing; may use for snow-blowing (I’m in Vermont) but lawn is the main concern.

Question: will a T series be rugged enough for this? Concerns with it on hills given no locking diff?

A dealer told me that the transmission on T series would be rugged enough but thought it would be dicey on the hills. A zero turn mowed this lawn so I’d think a tractor would be even better (and safer).

I would love to get a GR2120 but it’s a good deal more than I’d like to spend and I’m really not sure that I need 4wd.

As a point of reference, I think a JDX580 or JDX590 would do the trick but I only hear great things about Kubota quality and longevity.

Many thanks, in advance.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I had an old Steiner Tractor that worked beautifully on my hills. I understand that is not your question however if you are unfamiliar with the Steiner you might benefit from familiarizing yourself with the machines. Built for hills. I paid $5,000 five years ago for a well used 20 year old machine and used it weekly mowing here in Pennsylvania. I just sold it last week for $3,500. Kubota powered. Might have 20 more years of life for all I know . Bought a B2601. If I mow my hills head on in low range and 4wd engaged it works fine, I just have to be more careful. Good luck.

DAW3

Jun 18, 2021
United States
I had an old Steiner Tractor that worked beautifully on my hills. I understand that is not your question however if you are unfamiliar with the Steiner you might benefit from familiarizing yourself with the machines. Built for hills. I paid $5,000 five years ago for a well used 20 year old machine and used it weekly mowing here in Pennsylvania. I just sold it last week for $3,500. Kubota powered. Might have 20 more years of life for all I know . Bought a B2601. If I mow my hills head on in low range and 4wd engaged it works fine, I just have to be more careful. Good luck.
Thanks, very much! Appreciate it. Love the Steiner but I don’t see any around VT. In any case, I think I am leaning toward biting the bullet and getting a Kubota GR2120 (diesel) or the gas version, which is a little cheaper. Thanks!