4wd not working on a 2150 With HST

claya1

Equipment
Kubota
Sep 24, 2021
sacramento
Looking at buying a B2150HST. 2200 hrs. This is my first exposure to HST. I have experience with gear drive transmissions only.

2wd works fine. 4WD does not. If the HST transmission is not shifting into 4WD, what does that indicate? Bad fluid?, damage to the HST, 4wd output shaft, Something else unrelated to the HST?

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Looking at buying a 2150HST. 2200 hrs. This is my first exposure to HST. I have experience with gear drive transmissions only.

2wd works fine. 4WD does not. If the HST transmission is not shifting into 4WD, what does that indicate? Bad fluid?, damage to the HST, 4wd output shaft, Something else unrelated to the HST?
I would check the last two items first! "4wd output shaft, Something else unrelated to the HST"

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Unrelated to the HST, but more information will be needed. What exactly happens when 4wd is engaged.

claya1

Equipment
Kubota
Sep 24, 2021
sacramento
Unrelated to the HST, but more information will be needed. What exactly happens when 4wd is engaged.
Trying to extract details from the owner. So far it sounds like nothing changes when shifting from 2wd to 4wd. They said the front wheels do not "push". Tractor is some distance from me. Trying to find out as much as possible before dragging a trailer to go look. If it is not an HST issue, then I am more motivated.

Reactions: 1 user

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Looking at buying a B2150HST. 2200 hrs. This is my first exposure to HST. I have experience with gear drive transmissions only.

If all is well in 2WD but 4WD does not operate the problem is unrelated to the HST transmission and is something mechanical between the HST and the front wheels.

Does the tractor have Bi-Speed Turn? If so, the Torque limiting clutches in the Bi-Speed mechanism may be worn out. Does it have a FEL? Not uncommon to find worn out Bi-Speed Turn clutches when owners leave B-Speed on all of the time (as most do), especially with a FEL.

SDT

claya1

Equipment
Kubota
Sep 24, 2021
sacramento
If all is well in 2WD but 4WD does not operate the problem is unrelated to the HST transmission and is something mechanical between the HST and the front wheels.

Does the tractor have Bi-Speed Turn? If so, the Torque limiting clutches in the Bi-Speed mechanism may be worn out. Does it have a FEL? Not uncommon to find worn out Bi-Speed Turn clutches when owners leave B-Speed on all of the time (as most do), especially with a FEL.

SDT
How do I know if it has Bi-speed turn?

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
How do I know if it has Bi-speed turn?
Should be a decal on sheet metal on either side of the steering column.

Will be an On/Off lever on (IIRC (mine is a B1750)) the right side of the tunnel in front of and to the left of the HST pedal.

Will be linkage connecting Bi-Speed gearbox on left side of front axle with steering linkage.

Again, does tractor have FEL?

SDT

claya1

Equipment
Kubota
Sep 24, 2021
sacramento
Should be a decal on sheet metal on either side of the steering column.

Will be an On/Off lever on (IIRC (mine is a B1750)) the right side of the tunnel in front of and to the left of the HST pedal.

Will be linkage connecting Bi-Speed gearbox on left side of front axle with steering linkage.

Again, does tractor have FEL?

SDT
Yes. It has a FEL.