Smokeless

Equipment
3901/Loader/Rear Blade/Box Blade/LP Mower/Pallet forks IH M,,Cub & sickle mower
Feb 5, 2018
Southern Illinois
1st regen 18 hrs.
2nd 45 hrs
3rd 78 hrs
4th 87.7. This one surprised me. Maybe to much warm up in cold weather @ 1500 rpms.

Anyone else experience this? I ran it about 2200 after cold warm, but maybe i should have advanced to pto.

In cold weather i normally let it warm until needle reflects normal operating temp.....too much?

Thanks

Mister

Jul 13, 2018
Northwest
Pretty common. I'd just let it warm for about 5 minutes. I plan to switch to full synthetic oil on my next change, and this should help with cold starts. Would recommend you do the same

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Smokeless

Equipment
Feb 5, 2018
Southern Illinois
Pretty common. I'd just let it warm for about 5 minutes. I plan to switch to full synthetic oil on my next change, and this should help with cold starts. Would recommend you do the same

I have considered full syn, but dealer kinda led me away from it. Changed oil at 50 hours. At 100 may switch, then annually thereafter. Thanks

Fido Farms

Equipment
L3901, 35 Massey, Summit X 146, Polaris 700 RMK, Yamaha Viking
May 27, 2018
Canada
My l3901 comes out of heated shop (about 8C). Was -27c outside the other day snow blowing. I let it warm up about 10 min at about 1300rpm and the temp gauge just starts to move and I start snow blowing. The rad is covered up about 3/4. The width of the hydro cooler is not. I use Duron 5-40 synthetic here in Canada. Regen time between was about 18hrs last time. Personally I don't worry about the regen. It does it when it needs to. I just drive like I would anything else. Just what I do. This is my fourth regen in 67hrs since new.

Last edited:

Mister

Jul 13, 2018
Northwest
I have considered full syn, but dealer kinda led me away from it. Changed oil at 50 hours. At 100 may switch, then annually thereafter. Thanks
Oh, I bet they did. Most dealers don't sell it, which means you'd likely get the oil somewhere else and do the oil change yourself and they'd miss out on at the very least selling you some oil, but also selling you an oil change. Also, you might get away with longer service intervals and less maintenance, which all means less money for the dealer.

AllDodge

Equipment
M9540 RTV1100
Jan 19, 2019
South Central, ky
While this is not a tractor (F3990) but same if not similar motor, but I'm getting a regen about every 10 to 12 hours. I run the motor at WOT every time its used until I'm done cutting. Cutting takes about 5 hours each time

Smokeless

Equipment
Feb 5, 2018
Southern Illinois
My l3901 comes out of heated shop (about 8C). Was -27c outside the other day snow blowing. I let it warm up about 10 min at about 1300rpm and the temp gauge just starts to move and I start snow blowing. The rad is covered up about 3/4. The width of the hydro cooler is not. I use Duron 5-40 synthetic here in Canada. Regen time between was about 18hrs last time. Personally I don't worry about the regen. It does it when it needs to. I just drive like I would anything else. Just what I do. This is my fourth regen in 67hrs since new.
I wish i could get my pole garage to 30 ° F. Extreme cold here not the norm, but it does happen. I think maybe i am being a little too cautious on warm ups. Will look into Duron 5-40. Thanks for the post

Fido Farms

Equipment
L3901, 35 Massey, Summit X 146, Polaris 700 RMK, Yamaha Viking
May 27, 2018
Canada
My oil here is from Petro Canada. I know lots that use shell 5-40 synthetic. Most oils in the synthetic 5-40 grade would be great for any Diesel engines. Happy tractoring.

lescarpentier

Equipment
B3350
Oct 12, 2016
Washington
While this is not a tractor (F3990) but same if not similar motor, but I'm getting a regen about every 10 to 12 hours. I run the motor at WOT every time its used until I'm done cutting. Cutting takes about 5 hours each time
Your F3990 uses the same engine as the B3350.I get about the same duration from my B3350 tractor.

Smokeless

Equipment
Feb 5, 2018
Southern Illinois
1st regen 18 hrs.
2nd 45 hrs
3rd 78 hrs
4th 87.7. This one surprised me. Maybe to much warm up in cold weather @ 1500 rpms.

Anyone else experience this? I ran it about 2200 after cold warm, but maybe i should have advanced to pto.

In cold weather i normally let it warm until needle reflects normal operating temp.....too much?

Thanks
Just experienced 5th regen 122 hours, 35 hours from 4th. Thats more in liine with what i would expect. Been running pto speed using finish mower around back.

Just fyi

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560 HSTC, Grader, Backhoe, Snow Plow, Pallet Forks
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
I had a block heater installed and that makes a world of difference. I can run it right out of the barn like it was warmed up for half an hour.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
With the average life expectancy of the DPF unit at 2500 hours, I'd not get concerned about any regenerative issues. Most of you will never see 2500 hours on your machines anyway. If you do, plan on getting your wallet out for a DPF cannister replacement or cleaning because they ain't cheap.

Smokeless

Equipment
Feb 5, 2018
Southern Illinois
I had a block heater installed and that makes a world of difference. I can run it right out of the barn like it was warmed up for half an hour.
I thought about one, but have not took it any further, may do prior to winter, thanks

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Frequency of regeneration is subjective.
However, the end game is either replacement or cleaning of the DPF. Either way is expensive. Was at my dealer and asked, how about 3 grand for a cannister and 1500 to clean.

I believe it's 350 regens or 2500 hours and I'd presume either the engine derates or an idiot light illuminates (or both) when the DPF filter needs attention.

Probably (most likely) a non issue for a residential user but certainly an issue for a concentrated user like myself.

been my experience, working at Freightliner, that most facilities that can clean the DPF cannister have very specific parameters and if they aren't met exactly, the only avenue is replacment. I know when I was at Freightliner, at least 90% were rejected for one reason or another and the only recourse is replacement and replacement of a DPF cannister on a big truck is substantially more than 3 grand. More like 10 grand.

Thank you EPA for Tier 4 final mandate engines and the associated costs to maintain them.

Why O won't run a Tier 4 final engine.

Smokeless

Equipment
Feb 5, 2018
Southern Illinois
However, the end game is either replacement or cleaning of the DPF. Either way is expensive. Was at my dealer and asked, how about 3 grand for a cannister and 1500 to clean.

I believe it's 350 regens or 2500 hours and I'd presume either the engine derates or an idiot light illuminates (or both) when the DPF filter needs attention.

Probably (most likely) a non issue for a residential user but certainly an issue for a concentrated user like myself.

been my experience, working at Freightliner, that most facilities that can clean the DPF cannister have very specific parameters and if they aren't met exactly, the only avenue is replacment. I know when I was at Freightliner, at least 90% were rejected for one reason or another and the only recourse is replacement and replacement of a DPF cannister on a big truck is substantially more than 3 grand. More like 10 grand.

Thank you EPA for Tier 4 final mandate engines and the associated costs to maintain them.

Well said!!! I nearly purchased a 2501 and strongly considered Mahindra. Way i figured it if i make it to Feb, i will be 75. 2500 hours ÷ 122 current hours since purchased is approx 20. I doubt i will remember i have a tractor at 95, assuming i make it. If i were a young man may have looked on the facts differently, but i am sure glad i have the extra horse power...

raptorfan85

Equipment
L2501, woodland mills wc46 chipper, 60" bolens finish mower, old cordwood saw
May 4, 2019
Richmond NH

The more I read about tier 4 emissions the happier I am I bought an l2501...

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Also interesting is the Mahindra and Kioti non DPF deal. The way I understand it, both Mahindra and Kioti have EPA 'credits' that until used up, allow them to import to this country non-DPF engines in small tractors. Once the credits are exhausted they have to go the same route as Kubota and Deere.

Wonder when lawnmowers will have catalytic converters?:eek:

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Also interesting is the Mahindra and Kioti non DPF deal. The way I understand it, both Mahindra and Kioti have EPA 'credits' that until used up, allow them to import to this country non-DPF engines in small tractors. Once the credits are exhausted they have to go the same route as Kubota and Deere.

Wonder when lawnmowers will have catalytic converters?:eek:
I don't think credits have anything to do with it...those manufacturers must comply with Tier 4 Final same as anyone else. They simply use a DOC and run more EGR and hotter all the time. I think DOC-only engines could have a shorter lifespan, but that's my opinion. And maybe I'm wrong about credits; I thought those were only given to EV manufacturers which get used up after so many units were sold.

I have a 2019 L2501 (no regens) and a 2018 MX4800. The MX uses a different engine and DPF than the standard L tractors, but my intervals have been longer:

1st @ 35 hours
2nd @ 72 hours
3rd @ 112 hours

Currently have 130 hours on the MX. The regens have been painless. I don't have the slightest concern for them. If the time comes for off-tractor clean or replace, then a delete it possible. There is a company in Europe, AgroTronic that is already offering that service.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I don't think credits have anything to do with it...those manufacturers must comply with Tier 4 Final same as anyone else. They simply use a DOC and run more EGR and hotter all the time. I think DOC-only engines could have a shorter lifespan, but that's my opinion. And maybe I'm wrong about credits; I thought those were only given to EV manufacturers which get used up after so many units were sold.

I have a 2019 L2501 (no regens) and a 2018 MX4800. The MX uses a different engine and DPF than the standard L tractors, but my intervals have been longer:

1st @ 35 hours
2nd @ 72 hours
3rd @ 112 hours

Currently have 130 hours on the MX. The regens have been painless. I don't have the slightest concern for them. If the time comes for off-tractor clean or replace, then a delete it possible. There is a company in Europe, AgroTronic that is already offering that service.
I really don't know or care actually (about credits), just passing on what my dealer (owner) told me. We were discussing it one day and it came up.

Far as deleting the emissions stuff, all well and good if you plan on getting buried with the unit but I'd be very cautious about trading or selling it. You could be liable for a lawsuit.

Not an issue with me, never will be. I won't buy a tier 4 final anything, at least not until the technology has advanced far enough to make them bullet proof and maintenance friendly. Right now, they aren't.

If the technology advances and they become more user friendly then there is no need to delete anything or alter the emissions programming.