4400 Hydraulic Issues - New pump, or no?

christhefur

Equipment
L4400, SVL75, KX040, BX23s
Jan 10, 2020
Canada
Hey Crew,
Our Kubota L4400 has mostly lost hydraulic function (including steering). It happened suddenly. No leaks, fluid level is fine. Before I order a new pump, is there anything else I should check, any other known issues?
This tractor has a shared hydraulic/ gear/ trans sump. Fluid still looks great.
It has under 800 hours on it.
It has been serviced regularly (grease, oil, filters) by a ticketed mechanic.
Still hoping it might be something simple.
The steering will work somewhat intermittently, as will the loader, but slightly and in 'pulses.' The pump was making some unusual noise, like loud whining, when it happened. Still no leaks.
Also, it is winter here, it was below freeing when this happened (I was clearing snow). It's out in the field, due to no steering.
Thanks in advance for any wisdom/ tips/ advice!!
It seems to me that the pump should last long past 800 hours, but... who knows, I guess.
-ChrisTF

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
More than likely you have a suction leak.
Look at the large lines the feed the pump, typically its the rubber hose connections that have the biggest issues.
Could also be a filter issue.

Reactions: 1 user

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Hey Crew,
Our Kubota L4400 has mostly lost hydraulic function (including steering). It happened suddenly. No leaks, fluid level is fine. Before I order a new pump, is there anything else I should check, any other known issues?
This tractor has a shared hydraulic/ gear/ trans sump. Fluid still looks great.
It has under 800 hours on it.
It has been serviced regularly (grease, oil, filters) by a ticketed mechanic.
Still hoping it might be something simple.
The steering will work somewhat intermittently, as will the loader, but slightly and in 'pulses.' The pump was making some unusual noise, like loud whining, when it happened. Still no leaks.
Also, it is winter here, it was below freeing when this happened (I was clearing snow). It's out in the field, due to no steering.
Thanks in advance for any wisdom/ tips/ advice!!
It seems to me that the pump should last long past 800 hours, but... who knows, I guess.
-ChrisTF
Start by purchasing a $20 hydraulic pressure gauge and pressure testing the pump. Make sure you do that ahead of any pressure reliefs or steering flow dividers. That will tell you if the pump is the problem.

Dan

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Once in a great while a new filter will collapse. You can lose pressure there. A pump failure is pretty rare.

christhefur

Equipment
Jan 10, 2020
Canada
Hi Everyone, posting here in case others have this problem. We solved it - for now!
It was the filter. We had just changed the fluid and filter and it was completely clogged. Replacing the filter solved it.
However, the PTO stopped working. We brought it in to the dealer, the split the tractor and said the PTO clutch, all the mechanical workings of the tractor are mint - but the brand new filter is clogged again!
The dealer is totally stumped, we are too.
So, still trying to totally solve, but it wasn't the pump or any of the Kubota mechanical parts.
-ChrisTF

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You need to cut the filter open and look for brake lining. ;)

christhefur

Equipment
Jan 10, 2020
Canada
We cut it open, the filter was clogged with goopy gunk. None of it seemed to be metal. The dealer said the clutches, brakes, and everything is as-new.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
What fluid has it been run with?
Is there any chance someone has a gripe against you and have dumped something in it?

christhefur

Equipment
Jan 10, 2020
Canada
We were using spec fluid. We suspected that perhaps someone made a mistake with fluid but couldn't find any evidence of it, other than the goop in the filters. I suppose anything is possible. Mystery continues. Will post if the dealer solves it.

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
Thick goop? This makes no sense to me either.

I found these articles, however since you all say that you changed the fluid and used spec fluid I doubt it was incorrect or bad fluid. I was curious as to what could make hydraulic fluid get thick.

I dunno, I wonder if something inside the machine has broken down - but "goopy" makes me think of something like thick grease - and where would a substance like that come from?
Did you use a name-brand filter?

Pictures? What was the goop color? Perhaps have it sent to a lab?

Grandad4

Equipment
1949 Farmall M, previously owned: L 4610, BX 2230
Apr 5, 2016
Greensboro, NC
We were using spec fluid. We suspected that perhaps someone made a mistake with fluid but couldn't find any evidence of it, other than the goop in the filters. I suppose anything is possible. Mystery continues. Will post if the dealer solves it.
Just to clarify. Does "spec fluid" mean you used a) actual Kubota SUDT2 or
b) something that says it meets SUDT2 specs?

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I f you still have the filter and goop I would find a laboratory to test it out and see what it is. I think I would start looking into oil analysis lab and see if they can help you with what created the problem in the fliter.