42 years ago today, January 2nd 1980

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Today is 42 years ago that I lost my first dog, Lightning. I remember the day well since I was in the hospital for a bad infection with round-the-clock IV drips. I
had gotten the call from the vet late the day before telling me that it was time. She had a brain tumor and had already lost her sight, but was doing well with medications to keep the seizures under control. He told me that he would put her to sleep in the morning, and I could pick her up at noon. I snuck out of the hospital and left a note that there was a death in the family and that I would return by 5. I took her home, and the grave was already dug, and a mound of dirt was covered with plastic so it wouldn't freeze. I said goodby to her, and covered her with her favorite blanket, and put her favorite toy in with her. I then shoveled the dirt over her and said goodbye once more. Today I went out to her grave and spoke to her and told her that she is missed as I have done for the past 42 years.

Reactions: 11 users

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Its like losing one of the kids,, I miss my beagle too

Reactions: 1 users

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
Every time I lose a pet, I say " I' m not going through this again. But then some tail wagger will show up and wind up sleeping on by bed.

Reactions: 7 users

thebicman

Equipment
B2601 + BX2755HD + 50" box blade
Feb 2, 2017
Ottawa, ontario
I feel your loss. Its been over 10 years since we buried our friend Buddy. Purebred Collie that made Lassie look like a mutt. We picked out, he picked us, Australian Sheperd 9 years ago. Time goes so fast with the ones you love. He's just as adorable now as he was when he was a pup, Avatar pic.

Reactions: 2 users

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
0A5D85BF-1BDA-467F-84C6-9DA504410B09.jpeg
We love our pets more than most humans! They are part of the family!

Reactions: 2 users

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Clifford was our last to go. Now we have 3 standard poodles. RIP Clifford - 200Lb of pure joy.

clifford-1.jpg

clifford-2.jpg

clifford-3.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Its like losing one of the kids,, I miss my beagle too
I had a Beagle when I was 6 years old!
Though I have had a few dogs since.....
Now....75 years later, I still miss my......little buddy Dukey!

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
there is a special bond with your first dog as an adult. They go through so much with us. I lost my Rough Collie 4 years ago. Like @ipz2222, I swore I'd never allow myself to feel that pain again after 11 years of being together. We all seem to be gluttons for punishment, as life without a dog also feels empty. They only teach us love.

i just cried when i read @orange crusher 's quote. Hang in there @RCW , just one day at a time...

Reactions: 5 users

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
there is a special bond with your first dog as an adult. They go through so much with us. I lost my Rough Collie 4 years ago. Like @ipz2222, I swore I'd never allow myself to feel that pain again after 11 years of being together. We all seem to be gluttons for punishment, as life without a dog also feels empty. They only teach us love.

i just cried when i read @orange crusher 's quote. Hang in there @RCW , just one day at a time...

What an ELEGANT animal !

thebicman

Equipment
B2601 + BX2755HD + 50" box blade
Feb 2, 2017
Ottawa, ontario

Wow. The first collie looks so much like our own passed Buddy.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
You know, this thread brings back sad memories for me.

Mitsy was our dog, and my good friend when growing up. I remember when as a little guy my mom showed her to me, and I said I wished I could have one of those some day...

So anyway, after SO MANY times and good memories together, I grew up and went on with my life. AND Mitsy got older and frail and so on.

Then I was living in Japan and had kids that the grandparents had never seen other than photos...and they decided to make a trip to Japan to visit us in 1976.

BUT the issue was Mitsy. My mom decided it was time for Mitsy, since she was old and had issues that need not be mentioned. I mean, Mitsy, not the mom.

So my understanding is mom called animal control and just told Mitsy to get into the truck, and never saw her again. My dad on coming home from work never mentioned it I think my mom said.

They are all gone now...Mom, dad and Mitsy. I still miss my friend Mitsy, and that will never go away...

Tim Horton

Mar 22, 2018
Lake Superior
Almost a year ago now we lost our dog, Winston Churchill DeHounddog..

He was 13 kilo of short legged, long eared, piss and vinegar who thought he was the equal of any bear that came through the yard.. He lived to be 14 and was quick and lucky to never get his butt kicked by a bruin..

I still miss him...

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Two years ago, also jan2.
almost 14 years,yellow lab. Was a good dog, but i knew she was suffering. As much as i want another dog, it was very hard to say goodbye. I dont know how i could do that again. I give my friends dogs extra attention now.
7643337F-E148-4B34-8DAF-39E4048E1FED.jpeg

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Almost a year ago now we lost our dog, Winston Churchill DeHounddog..

He was 13 kilo of short legged, long eared, piss and vinegar who thought he was the equal of any bear that came through the yard.. He lived to be 14 and was quick and lucky to never get his butt kicked by a bruin..

I still miss him...
I LOVE the name!

Reactions: 1 user

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
I offer this in the hope it might encourage you to have your dog vaccinated against Lyme. (If you happen to be in or visit areas where Lyme is present)

My friend's dog, Kricket, seemed a little lethargic when the 4 of us (she, Kricket, myself and dog Sophie) were on a walk one Sunday. He didn't get any better over next couple days and was loosing his appetite so she took him to a vet. A blood test revealed he had Lyme and worse his kidney function was only 20%. My friend and her dog Kricket were as close as any dog and owner I've ever known, she took him almost everywhere with her. The vet gave an antibiotic but with kidney failure there was really nothing to do, he was dying. The following Sunday he couldn't stand, it was time to take him to the vet for his last time. Being Sunday we had to use an emergency vet. Sophie and I went with she and Kricket, Sophie lying beside him in the back just like when we all 4 took the car camping, kayaking, or on one of our many road trips. She and I were with Kricket as he was put to sleep. :(

Afterwards and while there she asked the vet to test Sophie for Lyme and add it to the bill. I objected pointing out that Sophie seemed perfectly fine but she insisted... thankfully because Sophie tested positive for Lyme. Her kidney number was off but not nearly so low as Kricket so her infection was in the early stage. The vet put her on Doxycycline and after running through that course her full kidney numbers came back and then vaccinated her for Lyme with a follow up booster 30 days later.

The vet said she doesn't know why but they are seeing a *lot* of dogs with Lyme now and unlike a few years ago when the disease didn't seem to bother the dogs much it's now often life threatening for them. She also said the vaccine isn't 100%, more like 70% effective, but now recommends it for all dogs.

I feel Kricket gave the ultimate gift to his best friend Sophie, because his dying is what allowed the Lyme in Sophie to be caught in time to save her kidneys that were already being affected.

Kricket the black and white dog on the right with Sophie on one of our many outings. RIP Kricket.

Last edited:

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Lyme disease is carried by the small deer tick, and even though it is cold in many places, the ticks are still active anytime the temperatures are above 32 degrees Fahrenheit. The tick is so small that you rarely ever see it on the dog, especially long-haired dogs. All of my dogs wore flea and tick collars, and they were very effective with tick prevention, but that was before the more modern type of chemical application directly to the dog's skin. That was the most effective tick control that I used on the dogs in the last 10 years or so.

Reactions: 1 user

Goz63

Equipment
Kubota L2501, LA525 loader, QH15,Land Pride RCR1860, BB2560, SGC0660, forks
Jun 19, 2021
Mississippi
You don’t see collies much anymore but that too is my breed. My first one, Maverick, died 19 years ago. We had him creamated and brought his ashes home in a box. It sat next to my bed where Mav always was. In the spring my wife asked me if I was going to take him up to the family farm in Michigan to be in the pet cemetery. I said I wasn’t ready. 18 years later I’m still not ready and that box is under my night stand right now. They are WAY more than pets. Will die owning a collie. They are just too amazing to not have one even though I am going to have my guts pulled out when my current one someday is gone.
08F88B81-C732-4708-9FE7-06061CFB2217.jpeg

Last edited: