4 in 1 bucket

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
OK guys I was at the dealers today getting the out the door price for a B2601, ( which only God knows when they will come in) and I mentioned that I might be interested in a grapple for brush and logs for fire wood,, cause bending over gets harder each day. And the young man said let me show you this, it is a 4 in 1 bucket. Now this is something I have never seen before, and he built it up pretty good, the price is about the same as a grapple give or take a few bucks. And yes I have been over youtube looking and while that does help, hearing from someone that has one helps even more. He said I know you are going to jump on OTT and ask and he was right, SO what say you??

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
There's a few 'down under' boys that have them, seems to be 'standard equipment' for Aussis and Kiwis. Everything has a purpose, though will it be for YOU ???

wgator

Equipment
L4701HST, FEL and other stuff.
Jul 28, 2018
NC
Don't own either (yet). But after reading multiple threads about 4 in 1 on smaller tractors developing the "smile" that usually happens with the smaller front part of the bucket I personally would opt for the ssqa for the fel and a grapple. JMHO.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I had one of these on my MF1528 for 13 years and then moved it to my new L2501. It is a cheap way to do a lot of work. The bucket blocks your view when you pick up 1 stick but you can do it with a little practice. It also is good when you need to break down a dirt pile. Open the claw to loosen up the dirt. Acts as a lid to help hold piles of dirt if you are traveling far.

34by151

Equipment
bx23s
Jan 12, 2019
Peachester, QLD, Australia
A 4in1 is std here in OZ. It is rare to see a loader without one.

4in1 is a bit generiac a term as you often see them as a 6in1 or 8in1 as well

4in1.jpg

For the basic uses
1. Loader as per a normal bucket
2. Top dump, instead of tilting he bucket to dump the load you have the option of opening the clam. This is really usefull when spreading material like top soil or gravel. Just open the clam a bit (not all the way) and drive as the materiual comes out.
3. Grader. Open the clam and tilt the bucket forward. This enguages the clam blade and the bucket blade. Works the same as a box blade
4. Dozer. Open the clam and use the bucket blade as a dozer. Tilting back gives a good leveler as well. Tilting forward bites in
5. Scraper/Leveler. Open the clam and tilt forward enguaging the back of the clam. Traveling backwards you can scrape and level. This is also really hand when woring a pile being able to pull material down. This also gives you the top grab function
6. Top Grab. This is for the last of your pile. Do the same as the scraper but once you have material over the clam close the clam. This fills the bucket. Depending on your controls you may need to pulse the clam button. IE on my bx23s to clab I use the joystick to tilt the bucket while pressing the button. So when collecting the material I need to close the clam and tilt back athe same time. You get ysed to doing theis on the joystick whil pulsing the button.
6. Grapple Just open the clam, tilt over and close the calm. Works great for pulling stumps, posts and pickets as well.
7. Spreader/Smudge Bar This is an attachment you can grab with the bucket clam. Works as a grader/spreader. You just need to weld one up aout of some 2in RHS.
A lost of the ime I cant bother removing the BH, putting on the 3ph to attach the box blade when Im quicker and and easier with the bucket and spreader bar.Sometimes I use both the bucket and box blade though. I really only bother with the box blade if I need the rippers.

Here is a link to one in use

As for the bucket smile yu get theis with any bucket when its not used correctly. The quickest way to do this on a 4in1 is with the grapple. If you are grabbing a stump laying down t\you are using both sides of the bucket. Now do that pulling a post. If you use the center of the bucket you run a risk of bending it. Worse again if you tyy to rock it out or tilt it out. You have jsut crateated a bending bar. Its not a big issue to fix however. I just use a portapower and an I beam. Open the clam and suspend the I beam on chains from the clam. Use the portapower to push it back. Can yousuall fix it in under 30mins

That being said its far less of an issue that the stuff I see done with a conventional bucket. Some things many condiser normal on a farm would get you balsck listed at the mine. Liake back badeing and gardening both of which kill the cylinders and all of which are what the 4in1 is designed to do

Another great attachmant is a trailer hitch
Here is my one that I made https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/threads/bx23s-bucket-trailer-hitch.38849/
I can out the trailer hitch on in seconds and also tow from the sides of the bucket if and offset is needed

Attachments

Last edited:

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
My guess is the 4 in 1 will not pick up near the amount of brush that a grapple will!

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I still want a good 4in1 but I keep choking at the cost, even for used ones. If you need to move a lot of brush get a brush grapple. If you are looking to move and grade dirt and pick up the occasional log/rock without getting out of the seat, get the 4in1.

I think you should buy one Skeets. Get the 84" one with welded on teeth, you can store it in my barn.

Reactions: 1 user

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Skeets - - I've dealt with them on a industrial TLB, but not on a subcompact.

Worked great on a heavy-duty machine. mikester's M59 would be great.

Given the lighter construction needed for a sub- I'd probably choose a grapple first over a 4-in-1. MHO.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
OK guys I was at the dealers today getting the out the door price for a B2601, ( which only God knows when they will come in) and I mentioned that I might be interested in a grapple for brush and logs for fire wood,, cause bending over gets harder each day. And the young man said let me show you this, it is a 4 in 1 bucket. Now this is something I have never seen before, and he built it up pretty good, the price is about the same as a grapple give or take a few bucks. And yes I have been over youtube looking and while that does help, hearing from someone that has one helps even more. He said I know you are going to jump on OTT and ask and he was right, SO what say you??
I bought the Kubota 4-in-one bucket with my L6060 and would not do so again.

It's heavy, reducing payload vis a vis a regular bucket.

It's also expensive.

A regular bucket in combination with a grapple is much more versatile for my purposes.

SDT

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
OK, thanks much guys I think I understand, and from what I have seen on line I think I have to go along with SDT, it would really reduce the cap of the FEL. Watching one in action I think they would be much better for a larger machine doing more construction jobs. I could always sell the grapple later I guess

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
OK, thanks much guys I think I understand, and from what I have seen on line I think I have to go along with SDT, it would really reduce the cap of the FEL. Watching one in action I think they would be much better for a larger machine doing more construction jobs. I could always sell the grapple later I guess
I watched a guy with a skid steer and 4-in-one bucket grade, level stone, etc., when I built my last post barn.

Guy was a real artist.

I rarely find my 4-in-one bucket useful with my L6060.

SDT

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City

If you have any timber, logs, or brush needing relocated the grapple is not an implement you will sell. You've at that point, paid for the 3rd function setup so selling is deletes to need of that setup. Just as well sell the grapple with the tractor, it a great selling point.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: My guess is the 4 in 1 will not pick up near the amount of brush that a grapple will!

yeah,
... but
My guess is the grapple won't pickup near the amount of dirt(stone,rocks) that a bucket will !;)

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Right on both counts, but I think the added weight would be a determent to the lifting cap on a small machine

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I have the EA 55 Wicked Root Grapple. The more I use it, the more I love it. I cleaned up an entire fence line of Privet Hedge and oak saplings and two 10 inch diameter trees. With the exception of cutting down the two big trees with my chainsaw, I used just the tractor with grapple. I just put the grapple down into the dirt and popped up everything by the roots. I had to work hard at some bigger saplings, but the tractor/grapple set up worked so well. I was even able to push up the two stumps on the trees I cut down. I admit, both were not deep rooted...a cedar and red bud, but I was hard on the tractor and grapple and they help up well. Up until that time I had not used the grapple very much that way. I really understand its function/purpose so much more now. My tractor would not be the same without it and almost useless for my needs.

With that being said, I would love a 4 in 1 bucket. Maybe one day, but the price is a bit steep for what I would use it for compared to a grapple. Each are a different tool for different jobs that may overlap. But, if you plan to work with moving brush, logs, clearing vegetation, a grapple works great.

34by151

Equipment
bx23s
Jan 12, 2019
Peachester, QLD, Australia
Right on both counts, but I think the added weight would be a determent to the lifting cap on a small machine
Depends on what you are comparing there.
A pin on bucket would be less than the 4in1 but not by much as it's only the weight of the 2 rams
A quick connect bucket would weigh more as the arm mounts and bucket mounts would weigh more than the rams by quite a bit. Also the mount pushes it further away from the pins reducing the capacity even more.
Id agree that a quick connect 4in1 would weigh the most but not by much

If the only factor was the bucket lift capacity Id get the right size machine machine for what you want and have a quick connect 4in1.

Also remember that you can lift more with the 4in1 and the clam (ie on chains) than you can with a std bucket.

We dont get the quick connect here in OZ on the smaller tractors like the BX23 but the kubota (not land pride) made 4in1 comes standard.

There is no reason you cant take the bucket clam off and replace it with a grapple or add a grapple mount to the bucket and have both. Both of these versions of the 4in1 are available here on OZ as company's that make 4in's are all over the place

smackdab

I have both a 4 in 1 as well as a grapple for a L3560. The 4 in 1 does most of the things I need it to do. Roots and brush is its downfall. I have a fair amount of roots and brush to clean up, and its worth having a root grapple around for those jobs. Otherwise, I really like the 4 in 1. Fact is, I don't know of any downfall to putting a 4 in 1 on a loader other than weight.

I've used the 4 in 1 to move logs and bigger sticks, some grading and back blading, and to pull Autumn Olive out of a 65 acre CRP field. Really worked well for that: clammed it open, set the bucket over the shrub and went to the ground with it, and closed the bucket. It tends to pull the tractor ahead when doing it this way, which shears the roots enough to pull it out without leaving a real big divot in the ground.

Guess I wouldn't want to give up either one. I know thats not real helpful info, but they each have a place.

Reactions: 1 user

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I have both a 4 in 1 as well as a grapple for a L3560. The 4 in 1 does most of the things I need it to do. Roots and brush is its downfall. I have a fair amount of roots and brush to clean up, and its worth having a root grapple around for those jobs. Otherwise, I really like the 4 in 1. Fact is, I don't know of any downfall to putting a 4 in 1 on a loader other than weight.

I've used the 4 in 1 to move logs and bigger sticks, some grading and back blading, and to pull Autumn Olive out of a 65 acre CRP field. Really worked well for that: clammed it open, set the bucket over the shrub and went to the ground with it, and closed the bucket. It tends to pull the tractor ahead when doing it this way, which shears the roots enough to pull it out without leaving a real big divot in the ground.

Guess I wouldn't want to give up either one. I know thats not real helpful info, but they each have a place.
Don't disagree.

In my opinion, the most cost effective and versatile option is a regular bucket and a grapple.

SDT