3rd Function Wiring Options (L3800) and pros/cons

24tex24

Equipment
L3800HST
Aug 3, 2021
SW Wisconsin
I'm installing 3rd function this weekend using Summit's kit. I have questions about wiring. I've seen there are different options for wiring - e.g. wiring direct to battery, a keyed/ignition or fused power source. Wiring direct to the battery seems the easiest route. What are the pros/cons of each option? Pretend you are explaining this to a middle schooler (that's about my knowledge of wiring).

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
I'm installing 3rd function this weekend using Summit's kit. I have questions about wiring. I've seen there are different options for wiring - e.g. wiring direct to battery, a keyed/ignition or fused power source. Wiring direct to the battery seems the easiest route. What are the pros/cons of each option? Pretend you are explaining this to a middle schooler (that's about my knowledge of wiring).
I have done 2 summit kits. One on LX and MX. On the LX, I went to key power, with an inline switch. On the MX, I did the same key power, just haven’t installed the switch yet.

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
What is the benefit of having an inline switch?
I could cut the power the the solenoids if I had the bucket on to not pressurize the lines if accidentally hit. I haven’t done that yet on the MX. I’ve gotten better about not hitting them or fidgeting with them while doing other things. May not put a switch in.

ayak

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301 HST
Feb 16, 2018
WV
I wired my Summit kit such that I can power off the tractor and then use the joystick buttons to close the grapple lids to relieve the pressure from the grapple hoses. Then I stick the two grapple hose ends together and haven’t any issues getting them back on later. So far so good with the battery—been that way two years.

I used one of these off Amazon to add it to my panel easily:
Nilight Fuse Holder Add-a-circuit Fuse TAP Adapter Mini ATM APM Blade Fuse Holder-10 Pack , 2 years Warranty https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0742BZXC2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_MPx9SY6Q1TqNY.

I used this stuff to carry the wires over without getting rubbed on:
American Terminal Wire Loom Black 100' Feet 3/8" Split Tubing Hose Cover Auto Home Marine https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J7RD6Z...abc_66ABXGSXJE8DCS6J0APQ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
. . .
I used this stuff to carry the wires over without getting rubbed on:
American Terminal Wire Loom Black 100' Feet 3/8" Split Tubing Hose Cover Auto Home Marine https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J7RD6Z...abc_66ABXGSXJE8DCS6J0APQ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
The OP has the tractor as I do so I would just caution to keep this split loom away from the exhaust manifold / exhaust pipe. I use the same thing on my electrical addons and getting to the battery (left side) requires careful routing.

The pic shows two split looms I ran. The orange goes from the battery to the fel pivot then up to a connector I mounted on the crossbar (on strut). The black split loom runs from tha battery back to a small fuse block inside my fender.

split loom routing 20220506_134737_resized_LI.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

JoeBabbs

Equipment
L3800, FEL, BH, box blade, front tine bucket, hydraulic front angle blade
Jan 20, 2020
Ithaca, NY USA
There is a spade connector in the fender by the left rear wheel that is live only when the key is on. That is how I wired my 3rd function (not summit, but from everything attachments).

AzDoug

Equipment
Bx2230 - l2501 - Komatsu micro excavator
May 8, 2022
Arizona
I am wondering if everyone is happy with the summit third function valve . Joebabs everything attachments is a wR long and some of the dealers use this one but cost couple hundred more .

24tex24

Equipment
L3800HST
Aug 3, 2021
SW Wisconsin
Everything was installed yesterday. The valve from summit is leaking pretty badly, so I've reached out to them about that; but otherwise it was an easy install. Tractor looks mean with a grapple.
IMG_6932 copy.jpg

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
I had my last 3rd function installed by the dealer. They wired it into a switched power source.

24tex24

Equipment
L3800HST
Aug 3, 2021
SW Wisconsin
Summit finally picked up the phone and I ordered what I need.

UPDATE and self-deprecating admission: I installed the solenoid to the valve body with the fiber protection pad on it (idiot!!), then snapped off a bolt in the aluminum valve body trying to over-tighten the bolts to stop the leak. So, chalk the $50 valve replacement up to stupid tax and move on.

On the positive side, I was able to order flat faced couplers to replace the ag couplers on the front side so I don't have to use adapters. Saves me some space up front.

This is my first foray into hydraulics. I've learned a lot.

Reactions: 1 user