3rd Function advice

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
Looking to add a grapple to my L4400HST. Been watching videos and it SEEMS like a pretty simple process to add the unit. My questions are:

1. Is the addition as simple as moving two hoses around (plus wiring)?

2. Is there a 'best' unit you folks have found and ones that have given you problems?

Thanks

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
Take a look at Everything Attachments, I don't own one but I am a fan of their implements. I have 4 implements I bought from them and they are well built.

I'm not implying others are not good but watch some of the YouTube videos of hem testing implements and tours of their facility. I think you will be impressed.

Best of luck in your search.

Jay

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
I take it you're asking about doing the 3rd function install yourself? It maybe isn't quite as simple as you laid it out, but you're not far off. Ha! I added a Summit 3rd function kit to my B2650 (as did a few others) and have pics and write up on OTT. It wasn't near as bad as some people make it out to be.

Have a clean place to work and lay out your parts/tools before hand so you have everything ready. Basically, there's 3 elements to the install. 1. mount the valve and cut into the Power Beyond hydraulic circuit. 2. Hookup and run the hoses to the loader cross tube or your mounting spot. 3. mount the controls and run the power to the unit.

Just make sure you keep things clean while cutting into the hydraulic system. Only during step 1 will your tractor be inoperable. the others can be done later. But if you have everything laid out and ready to go, there's no reason you can't do it in an easy day if not an afternoon.

Reactions: 1 users

JDP

Equipment
L4701
Dec 15, 2020
Nebraska
I installed a Land Pride valve on my L4701 and it was very easy. The Instructions were great.

Reactions: 1 user

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I have the OEM LP 3rd function and have had to replace the joystick twice now. The bottom switch crapped out both times.

I ended up buying the Summit joystick handle (it has micro switches) and retrofitting that to the LP.

Either kit tends to be easy in my view. I guess it would depend on your level of comfort.

Last edited:

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
I have the land pride 3rd function set up. My local Kubota dealer offered it to me at a little under what I had seen for pricing, and free installation. It has worked great for 4 years now. I think I use the grapple more than any other implement.

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
I take it you're asking about doing the 3rd function install yourself? It maybe isn't quite as simple as you laid it out, but you're not far off. Ha! I added a Summit 3rd function kit to my B2650 (as did a few others) and have pics and write up on OTT. It wasn't near as bad as some people make it out to be.

Have a clean place to work and lay out your parts/tools before hand so you have everything ready. Basically, there's 3 elements to the install. 1. mount the valve and cut into the Power Beyond hydraulic circuit. 2. Hookup and run the hoses to the loader cross tube or your mounting spot. 3. mount the controls and run the power to the unit.

Just make sure you keep things clean while cutting into the hydraulic system. Only during step 1 will your tractor be inoperable. the others can be done later. But if you have everything laid out and ready to go, there's no reason you can't do it in an easy day if not an afternoon.
Do you have the link to that? I believe your set-up is a bit different than mine but might be helpful.

Petey Kubota

Equipment
B2601 Kubota loader back hoe
Feb 9, 2021
Milford PA
Do you have the link to that? I believe your set-up is a bit different than mine but might be helpful.
Hello all I have seen it somewhere here looking for instructions on adding the summit third function valve plumbing with an existing OEM backhoe on my Kubota B2601. Summit does not have instructions for the actual plumbing for that. Does anyone have instructions for that.

Thank You

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
I have a WR Long 3rd function - a very popular choice. The Messick's video covers it well.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Be aware that there are TWO different versions of '3rd functions'.
One, a TRUE 3rd function allows full use of the other 2 functions in addition to the 3rd.
Two, a SWITCHED 3rd function, where you LOSE an existing function while the 3rd function is in use.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Hello all I have seen it somewhere here looking for instructions on adding the summit third function valve plumbing with an existing OEM backhoe on my Kubota B2601. Summit does not have instructions for the actual plumbing for that. Does anyone have instructions for that.

Thank You
See the link in my post #8 above. I bought my B2650 with the BH77 and loader already installed. I added the Summit 3rd function kit myself and only had to make one minor mod to the kit to accommodate the backhoe. There's pics in that writeup. I'm guessing your B2601 setup would be very similar.