3pt Landscape Rake

GaltsGulch

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800, BX2380, and BX23S
Apr 14, 2015
Ranger, Ga
I just cleared about 3/4 of an acre of overgrown bushes and trees from the side of my property with the bush hog and a mini x. I now have a mess to clean up. There are lots of roots and little stumps all over among the ground up tree pieces and trash. I was thinking about getting on of the 3 pt landscape rakes but I have a question. How sturdy are the rake teeth? I was looking at the land pride at the dealer but am concerned that all the roots and small stumps might bend them all up. Any one have any experience running on in these conditions. I was also looking at the bxpanded tooth bar and just back dragging the bucket as a rake. Any input or experiences will be appreciated

RonBoyBX25D

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LP Grapple, Bro-Tek spacers, QH, Box Blade, Landscape Rake, RB, and 1560G
Aug 1, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
I am interested in the responses to the LR, have been thinking about one myself. I would recommend a root grapple, it use mine to rake then grab to transfer to the burn pile.

Would think a LR would be helpful for clean up more than a Pirahna from my experience, love the PTB though.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I'll be honest, I bought one and it's about as close to throwing money away as anything I ever owned. I guess in the perfect conditions it may be okay but I've never found them yet. I would suggest either borrow or rent one instead of buying. Mine sits in the shed taking up space, I haven't found a use for it yet.

bcbull378

Equipment
GL3830,fel,brush hog,pallet forks,disc,gannon,auger,springtooth,plow,drag,ripper
Sep 6, 2011
Ventura Ca
Before you buy a landscape rake you may want to do like I did I bought a old spring tooth they have much heavier teeth than a landscape rake. The one I bought had 3 rows of teeth I took the all and put them on the front row they are 3" apart and it's a great tool for gathering rock in our grain fields prior to planting. Try looking on Craigslist for a springtooth Ive had great luck finding implements on there.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I have a 6' and a 7'. One at home and one at the farm. I use the one at home for raking 3 acres pine needles and small branches after I cut down a tree for burning.

At the farm I use that one for raking 2" rock the oil field guys left. They had it hauled in to get the trucks to their tanks. Then they moved the tanks to across the road. I got the rock and a mess. But the rake does good for what I need.

Never had any bent or broken tines and I bought them both used, but not looking like they had much use.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
D2Cat, that's what I was talking about. You have found a use for yours and sounds like it works well for you. I forgot but I used mine one time on gravel and it did a good job.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I mainly use mine for raking up horse manure, and have a light weight one. I have the gauge wheels on mine, and I think a heavy duty rake with gauge wheels, and with the rake angled so the teeth don't dig in too much would work where there are things that won't come up like little stumps. On mine the teeth are replaceable if one gets bent. The bad news with these is branches and vines get stuck in the tines and you have to get off and untangle it every once in a while.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Sheepfarmer, you mention, "... and you have to get off and untangle it every once in a while."

I consider this a benefit, not a detriment. I got to do something to keep from becoming a picture in a Wal-Mart YouTube video! :D:D

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I have a landscape rake, and like your thinking they don't do wery well at pulling roots or stumps out of the ground, they do very well at gathering up the little stuff.
I too would recommend a spring tooth cultivator, I made mine for really cheap and it does a great job at ripping everything out of the ground.

Attachments

GaltsGulch

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800, BX2380, and BX23S
Apr 14, 2015
Ranger, Ga
Thanks for the input. I like the idea of the cultivator.
Wolfman where did you get the teeth from? For the price of the rake at the dealer I am not opposed to building something myself.
I'll give craigslist a try for a ready made one also.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Thanks for the input. I like the idea of the cultivator.
Wolfman where did you get the teeth from? For the price of the rake at the dealer I am not opposed to building something myself.
I'll give craigslist a try for a ready made one also.

I bought them at a the local farm store. :D

clay45

Equipment
L2050DT, TSC 5ft Rake, Tartar 5ft rototiller, TSC Middlebuster, TSC CarryAll
Feb 6, 2015
SC
I bought this in the 5ft version and wish I'd got the 6ft one.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/countyline-landscape-rake-6-ft-w

But I pulled up a bunch of bramble vines (dew berry vines) with it as well as raking up all sorts of trash and cuttings with it. I'm sure if I wanted to I could tear it up fairly easily but so far its impressed me with its toughness. Depends on how you tend to treat your tools I guess.

HickoryNut

Equipment
BX25DLB/PForks,Front Blade,3PH,and 3Pt STUFF, BXPanded UA, Piranha, BH Dolly,Rip
Apr 15, 2011
NE Georgia
I have a landscape rake and as far as roots go, I would say its good at pulling them up.......but not pulling them out :D:D

Animalhse

Jan 8, 2015
Texas

I'm sure every condition will be a little different but I clear cut an area to clean it up a couple years ago. Then came in and used my rake to drag debris into piles to burn. It won't pull up stumps or roots but does drag them along well. Once the piles burnt down I spread any dirt out I raked with the branches and vines. I use the rake now to scratch the surface and plant plots for our pigs.
Like suggested above maybe borrow one or find one cheap on C/L to try it. Especially if it's gonna be a one time thing. I borrowed one until I found one on C/L I couldn't pass up. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

djm1204

Equipment
L4600 HST, FEL, Root Rake, Land Pride Grapple, Two way radio
Aug 11, 2014
Dunnellon, FL, USA
I have one and used it for the light clearing a 3 acre parcel after the heavy clearing was done with a much large Cat machine.

The LR does a good job, got up all the leftover branches and junk, I have broken a few of the rake's tines, they are easy to replace and I bought them by the dozen and they are about $8.00 each that way. I keep the spares in stock, if I had only bought the ones that I needed at the time, I would have broken a bunch more - so buying by the dozen was an insurance policy of sorts for me - have not broken any more since I got the spares. :)

I have also used mine to break up some hard soil for seeds, and for grading some sand trails, ( horse and atv ) raking up pine needles off the fire break trails.

A landscape rake has it's place, but not necessarily the most important attachment I have.