3D Printers

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I have had several - the slicing software is where knowledge is gained.

The newer ones now are at .3 mm

I would decide on one - based on what I am really trying to do?

What are you thinking about doing?

SusanDuffy

Equipment
B2601
Apr 8, 2022
Bremerton, Washington
I have had several - the slicing software is where knowledge is gained.

The newer ones now are at .3 mm

I would decide on one - based on what I am really trying to do?

What are you thinking a

I would make jigs and holders and fun things. Not a real plan, just creating and learnin.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I am hearing that 3D printers are coming down in price. I’m not very tech savey. What 3D printers are you using? Are you happy with it?
You may have access to one to try before you buy. My local public library has a FlashForge Dreamer and a MakerBot Replicator+. Also, the university has a couple of different size LulzBot's that they'll print your model on.

To me, there are 2 types of models, free-form (animals, etc) and structure (gears, knobs, letters, etc, which is all I've done). I think a program such as Blender is better for the first and a program such as TinkerCAD is better for the second. I've used AutoCAD and TinkerCAD so far.

Then the slicer you use may be dependent on the printer you use. I didn't realize that the prints aren't usually solid, the middle is a honeycomb which saves time and material. You can control the pattern style and density to get the strength/weight you want.

I assume you're considering the FDM technology, which uses a resin filament that is melted and placed where directed, since it is the most popular low-end method. But there are others.

The other thing to know is what resin material you'll want to use. PLA (poly-lactic acid) is the most common and most of the low-end printers are limited to it.

Oh, and the size object it can print. I wouldn't want one of the very smallest ones, but I'm sure they have their application.

You can learn a lot on YouTube (of course). :)

Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Makerbot Replicator+

POS - I would not buy another one nor would I recommend the brand unless you are happy making plastic blobs as toys and don't care about dimensional accuracy.

PoTreeBoy is giving good advice.

LFP57

Equipment
LX2610 Land pride QH 10, BB1560, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, Top n Tilt, Wicked T
Sep 21, 2021
Michigan
I run two industrial size machines ( 40 inch X 60 inch build plates using 2.85 MM filament) as well as a table top machine. If you're trying to purchase the cheapest machine you can find, be aware that there's a good chance it may not work well out of the box. Spend a little extra money and get a machine that is popular and has good support, you'll be amazed at what you can create with it and not trinkets like many print.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
2 of the things I know about them....

1) they are 'snail slow' to create anything, it ain't like 'as seen on TV ' !

2) be SURE to KNOW how much filament IS on the spool BEFORE you press 'go' !!

Alfred_2345

Equipment
L3901, LA525, BH77, SGC1060, RZ60, Box Blade, Z726XKW ZTM, RTV-X900
Jan 5, 2023
Northwest Arkansas
What you are planning to print? What are your goals?
Printer range widely in quality, size and cost. Your question is very open ended. Much like asking "What kind of tractor should I buy?" without any additional information.

Depending on what your goals are, where will you get the CAD models from?
If you are going to make/design them your self, you also need to be able to use the appropriate software. 3D modeling takes some effort and practice.

Just some things to think about.

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
2) be SURE to KNOW how much filament IS on the spool BEFORE you press 'go' !!
Not necessary if you have more of the same filament, the printer has a filament out sensor and automatically pauses the print when the filament suns out.

I built a core XY printer from scratch, and it has been a great machine for all the printing I've done with it. I've probably put 50 kg of filament through it in the last four years.

IMG_20201113_004118617.jpg

LFP57

Equipment
LX2610 Land pride QH 10, BB1560, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, Top n Tilt, Wicked T
Sep 21, 2021
Michigan
Not necessary if you have more of the same filament, the printer has a filament out sensor and automatically pauses the print when the filament suns out.

I built a core XY printer from scratch, and it has been a great machine for all the printing I've done with it. I've probably put 50 kg of filament through it in the last four years.

View attachment 96887
Here's mine, I run two 10KG spools at a time, I've used over 110 spools which is over 2500 pounds.

Attachments

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: Not necessary if you have more of the same filament, the printer has a filament out sensor and automatically pauses the print when the filament suns out.

yes....they stop working, so when you get up next morning expecting the object to be DONE it isn't.:mad:

SusanDuffy

Equipment
B2601
Apr 8, 2022
Bremerton, Washington
Here is what I’ve learned. Don’t buy a Creality Ender printer. I‘m not up to the battle of keeping it running, it has been returned. I’ve ordered a Bambu Lab X1 ($1,449) and am told they are great printers and work straight out of the box.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Here is what I’ve learned. Don’t buy a Creality Ender printer. I‘m not up to the battle of keeping it running, it has been returned. I’ve ordered a Bambu Lab X1 ($1,449) and am told they are great printers and work straight out of the box.
Thanks for the update. Which Ender did you have?