3901 Tight ROPS Bolts

itgoes211

Aug 25, 2014
Ohio
I just purchased a 3901 and really loving it. The issue I have is the bolts for the ROPS. I park mine in my garage and have to fold the ROPS to get it in. No big deal but the bolts are so darn tight it makes it a pain in the butt. Should they be so tight I cant remove or install by hand and why didn't they just you a pin instead of threads?????

Thanks

kcservak

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2250 with backhoe 72" finish mower and front dirt blade.
Sep 25, 2011
poughkeepsie ny
Did you buy the machine new or is it possible the previous owner put the bolts in? Did you check with the dealer to see if you could use pins.
Keith.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I just purchased a 3901 and really loving it. The issue I have is the bolts for the ROPS. I park mine in my garage and have to fold the ROPS to get it in. No big deal but the bolts are so darn tight it makes it a pain in the butt. Should they be so tight I cant remove or install by hand and why didn't they just you a pin instead of threads?????

Thanks
Mine were tight as tick too, back em out just a smidge, I still have to pull on the ROPS top to bend it over..........

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
#1 look at the schematic and make sure they put the bolt in the right hole and the pin in the right hole. ;)
If the bolt is too tight just loosen it a little.

Attachments

itgoes211

Aug 25, 2014
Ohio
Thanks everyone for the replies. It is a brand spankin new tractor so no mods or changes. The bolts are in the correct holes. The issuse is it's tight as I am screwing it in. Not like at the very end where I can just back it out some but during the hole threading process. I have to wiggle the ROPS to even get it in with a wrench. I was thinking maybe the thread was getting tight from paint.

Billdog350

Equipment
Kubota L3710 HST,L2230A QT,forks,Takeuchi TB125, 60" Luck Now pto Snowblower
Jan 6, 2014
East Hampton, CT
Find a hardened pin at tractor supply or similar that is just a hair smaller than the threaded bolt. Put it in with a spring clip and you should be good.....as long as the hardened pin is the same strength as the bolt you're removing, I don't see why you couldn't swap it.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Thanks everyone for the replies. It is a brand spankin new tractor so no mods or changes. The bolts are in the correct holes. The issuse is it's tight as I am screwing it in. Not like at the very end where I can just back it out some but during the hole threading process. I have to wiggle the ROPS to even get it in with a wrench. I was thinking maybe the thread was getting tight from paint.
So the "pin" on your model of ROPS is also threaded?
If it is, Yes you need to remove the paint on the treads, or just first try putting some grease on the threads and see if that helps.

Kingcreek

Equipment
Grand L3010 GST 4wd, LA481FEL, various attachments and accessories
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
Lube em. They'll eventually get easier.
I hit mine with some Sili-kroil every once in a while.

itgoes211

Aug 25, 2014
Ohio
So the "pin" on your model of ROPS is also threaded?
If it is, Yes you need to remove the paint on the treads, or just first try putting some grease on the threads and see if that helps.

Yes it's threaded. Which I didn't expect. I figured it would just be similar to a hitch pin. I already greased it up, ran it in and out several times. It's just a pain.