3 Point Tree Puller

JDP

Equipment
L4701
Dec 15, 2020
Nebraska
Does anyone know of any tree pullers for the 3 point out there? I have a L4701 and no rear hydraulics. I've looked at FEL mounted ones but I'm worried I won't have the lifting capacity to pull them out of the ground. I've also looked at stump buckets. I like them but thought it would be nice to keep the grapple on the front to clean up as I go.

Thanks

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
A lot will depend upon tree species,size, qty to remove and soil conditions to decide what wil work best(time and money).
One guy ran a subsoiler down both sides of a 100' row of trees, then chained one, yank out, chained another , yank,.....surprisingly fast. Another guy cut close to ground, drilled holes, added diesel,came back next day ,more diesel, lit them up with propane torch, stumps slowly burned away over a week or so.
if this is a oneshot deal, maybe price out a pro or machine rental, might be cheaper ?
Again depends on qty of trees to remove.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I would use the loader to push the tree over from higher up, then push out by the roots with the loader edge. You don't need lifting capacity that way, you use gravity and the weight of your machine to push them out. I wouldn't recommend doing it with your 3PH if you still want to be able to use it in the future for other implements.

Reactions: 1 user

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Just doing a search online, there are companies that make 3pt tree pullers. If it was me, I’d watch some of the youtube videos on pulling trees to see what option will work best for you.

Another option would be to rent or hire someone with a excavator. I’m always amazed how fast the youtube guys can pull/knock over trees.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
One guy ran a subsoiler down both sides............of trees
This is a very good suggestion regardless of how it is actually removed. The feeder roots normally go out past the drip line so cutting them is a good first assault. You will also be loosening the soil and allowing moisture to enter which will make your job easier.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
I did a combination of the posts above. I had a 10" diameter tree that had to go. I ran my subsoiler down three sides a couple of times as close as I could get to the tree. Then I used the fel to push on the side opposite the one I hadn't worked on.
It still was a chore getting the stump out after I cut it up. The roots that went deep close to the tree were stubborn buggers.

JDP

Equipment
L4701
Dec 15, 2020
Nebraska
Sorry I should have gave more details.
They range from 1-4 inches in diameter. And a variety of different species. Cedars, cottonwood, walnut, and some others that I can't identify. Soil is pretty sandy. There's about 32 acres of trees. This is kind of a recreational property. I'm wanting to make trails and campsites for the family. I'm not interested in hiring anyone. This will be a long term project.

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
i have a l2501 with grapple And sandy soil. I can easily just go up to a tree, raise the grapple to about mid loader height and push the tree over. Then I come in from the side with the grapple, grab the tree close to the roots and use the roll function and most times the roots will pop out. This works on trees up to four inches and I have used the same technique on much larger red and scot pines. Of course they do not have a tap root to speak of. And if I had heavy clay soils I would have a problem. You might be pleasantly surprised if you try this method .

bcp

Equipment
BX2360
Apr 20, 2011
SW WA
There are some tree puller designs that use a vertical hydraulic cylinder to push against the ground to pull the tree. The 3pt hitch or loader just has to carry it around.

tree-puller-hyd.jpg

Bruce

Last edited:

bcp

Equipment
BX2360
Apr 20, 2011
SW WA
If you have small trees, here is a simple puller,

Bruce

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I bought one that goes on my loader. I don't use it that much, but I don't regret the purchase. My machine will not pull up a big tree. The tree in the picture is about as big as it will pull on my property (too big actually) and the soil must be wet. That one was growing along a wet ditch. Cedar trees bigger than that will come up easy since they have little root structure. But, the tractor can pull up smaller ones OK without making much of a mess, compared to digging a tree up. The soil dryness and type of tree will be big factors on how easy pulling a tree is, including soil type. Being bigger, your tractor will be able to do more than mine. I can actually do better on bigger trees simply pushing them over with the grapple like already mentioned by Ken above, and once pushed over, working it back and forth until it breaks free, sort of like bending a paper clip back and forth until it snaps.

If I pull several with it, I just leave them there to rot or place them in a pile using the puller and then gather the pile up later with my grapple.
tree puller.jpg

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
Sorry I should have gave more details.
They range from 1-4 inches in diameter. And a variety of different species. Cedars, cottonwood, walnut, and some others that I can't identify. Soil is pretty sandy. There's about 32 acres of trees. This is kind of a recreational property. I'm wanting to make trails and campsites for the family. I'm not interested in hiring anyone. This will be a long term project.
My setup with solid soil - under 1", clamping pressure high enough vegetation snaps off. 1-2", FEL will pull it. 3", clamp on and drive forward to pull. 3+", hitting limits of my setup.

Hardest to pull, Cedars (massive root system) and trees where root went straight down.

My 4" or so cedar tree, loaded tires + ballast box, rocked tractor back & forth about 20 times while trying to lift.
20170911_132039.jpg