3 point snowblower shield

Jblac197

Equipment
L3800, bush hog, tiller snowblower
Aug 21, 2018
Hibbing
Hello all, I'm pretty new to the tractor world, purchased a used kubota l3800 last spring and it came with a 6 foot 3 point snowblower. The blower works great and really handles the snow well, but even on calm or light breeze days I still get blasted pretty good in the face with snow at times. My tractor does not have a cab but I made a 3'×4' plexiglass rear windshield that helps a lot. Just seeing if anybody else has pictures or any advice of their solution to this problem. Thanks in advance!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
I thought about a canopy and plexiglass on the rear. My last few years of open station snow blowing I wore motorcycle pants, jacket, fire helmet and ski goggles. Sounds ridiculous, but it worked ok. The motorcycle gear was also heated.
Previous tractor and gear:

Here is my final solution:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
The best solution. I not so fondly remember blowing snow with an open station Kubby and wearing a snowmobile suit and full face helmet and still getting loaded with blown snow.

Problem with a cab is the back window will get loaded with snow anyway and the rear defogger grid won't melt it fast enough. been there, did that, sold the blower and went to a front plow.

Only way I could keep the back window clear was keep the cabin super hot and sweat. I never liked turning around either so I installed a rear facing cam with a viewscreen in the cab over top my remotes so I could watch the cam and not have to turn around and get a stiff neck.

Does double duty because I use it to watch my mower when I'm mowing hay.

Jblac197

Equipment
Aug 21, 2018
Hibbing
I thought about a canopy and plexiglass on the rear. My last few years of open station snow blowing I wore motorcycle pants, jacket, fire helmet and ski goggles. Sounds ridiculous, but it worked ok. The motorcycle gear was also heated.
Previous tractor and gear:

Here is my final solution:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I tried a snowmobile helmet and a face shield but I wear glasses (I'm blind as a bat without em) and they were constantly fogging up. I like your final solution, is that the same tractor? Did you purchase the cab afterward?

Jblac197

Equipment
Aug 21, 2018
Hibbing
What size tractor? I've thought about a plow blade for the front but not sure my machines quite heavy enough to be very effective. I live in North minnesota so snow is no stranger here.
The best solution. I not so fondly remember blowing snow with an open station Kubby and wearing a snowmobile suit and full face helmet and still getting loaded with blown snow.

Problem with a cab is the back window will get loaded with snow anyway and the rear defogger grid won't melt it fast enough. been there, did that, sold the blower and went to a front plow.

Only way I could keep the back window clear was keep the cabin super hot and sweat. I never liked turning around either so I installed a rear facing cam with a viewscreen in the cab over top my remotes so I could watch the cam and not have to turn around and get a stiff neck.

Does double duty because I use it to watch my mower when I'm mowing hay.

rjcorazza

Equipment
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
It’s a different tractor. I wear glasses also and don’t recall having fogging issues with the ski goggles.
My previous setup also did not have a chute deflector or hydraulic control. I added both to the old blower when I got the cab tractor, and it significantly reduces snow going all over the place. Blowing snow 30-40’ is rarely necessary and adds to getting dusted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jblac197

Equipment
Aug 21, 2018
Hibbing
It’s a different tractor. I wear glasses also and don’t recall having fogging issues with the ski goggles.
My previous setup also did not have a chute deflector or hydraulic control. I added both to the old blower when I got the cab tractor, and it significantly reduces snow going all over the place. Blowing snow 30-40’ is rarely necessary and adds to getting dusted.

Your right, ski goggles shouldn't fog up because your not breathing inside them. Thanks for the tip, I think I have an old pair in the garage I'll have to give a try. Yeah I set the deflector down pretty far so it only shoots maybe 15-20 feet tops, I have no need to throw it any farther than that. I like your rig. Is that a L3901?

rjcorazza

Equipment
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
It’s an L4060. I clear a lot of driveways in my area and the cab makes the work much more comfortable. It’s still more of a hobby though.
Stay warm out there!

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
I don't have a heater in the cab, just a wiper on the outside. Works great.

NoJacketRequired

Equipment
B7510 & LA302 FEL & B2782 blower, B7510 & B2781 blower, B2410 & B2550 blower
May 25, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
I don't have a heater in the cab, just a wiper on the outside. Works great.
Torch - an unheated cab is great, but not nearly as great as a heated one! :D

Yesterday I had a neighbor pull open the door of the cab after I had blown out his driveway. His eyebrows shot up as he exclaimed, "Hey, it's actually warm in there!" Yes, my light coat was unzipped and I had my gloves off, toasty and warm.

Where the heat really comes in handy is on days like we encountered last week where the temps were just above freezing - the heat really helps keep the fog of the windows. (Yes, I was snowblowing, removing the big heap of slop the township plow had pushed into the end of every driveway...)

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Hello all, I'm pretty new to the tractor world, purchased a used kubota l3800 last spring and it came with a 6 foot 3 point snowblower. The blower works great and really handles the snow well, but even on calm or light breeze days I still get blasted pretty good in the face with snow at times. My tractor does not have a cab but I made a 3'×4' plexiglass rear windshield that helps a lot. Just seeing if anybody else has pictures or any advice of their solution to this problem. Thanks in advance!!

No matter how you slice it, the best way to stop eating snow is with a heated cab

http://orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34032

blperk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200, FEL, Betstco 63" flail mower, B2782b front snowblower
Dec 25, 2018
Canandaigua, NY
My solution to this problem is pretty low-tech. I wear ski goggles in case I mess up, but the real key is be very aware of the wind direction and any swirling from it. I let the wind direction determine where I start working on my 400' driveway, being certain to always work downwind. That means that I may start at one end one day and the other end the next day. Kind of a pain, but it sure saves me ending up looking like a snowman!!

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I built a cab for the L3200 about 6 years ago and the rear blower came along a year or so later. Can't believe I'd be happy without a cab when using the blower. After 20-some years on an open station I wouldn't be happy without a cab period. As mentioned, working with wind direction is important.

The blower has been fun, so when I got the L4240 this year, I moved the blower over to it. Then I mounted an 8' snow plow to the front. The plow works so well I'm considering selling the blower as part of a package with the L3200. So far this season we've only had a few small snows and I'd like to experience a real snow with the front blade before making that decision.

Jblac197

Equipment
Aug 21, 2018
Hibbing
Do you have any pictures of your rig? Sounds interesting and I'm also considering a snow plow for the front of my l3800 but the cost is high so I want to do my research before I spend that kind of money. I live in mn so we deal with lots of snow, this winter has been a beast for snow and cold
I built a cab for the L3200 about 6 years ago and the rear blower came along a year or so later. Can't believe I'd be happy without a cab when using the blower. After 20-some years on an open station I wouldn't be happy without a cab period. As mentioned, working with wind direction is important.

The blower has been fun, so when I got the L4240 this year, I moved the blower over to it. Then I mounted an 8' snow plow to the front. The plow works so well I'm considering selling the blower as part of a package with the L3200. So far this season we've only had a few small snows and I'd like to experience a real snow with the front blade before making that decision.

chim

Equipment
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Do you have any pictures of your rig? Sounds interesting and I'm also considering a snow plow for the front of my l3800 but the cost is high so I want to do my research before I spend that kind of money. I live in mn so we deal with lots of snow, this winter has been a beast for snow and cold

Happy to provide any details. Here's a brief thread on the build:

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/407444-ssqa-snow-plow.html

I used an 8' Fisher blade. Power angle is via the factory front third function connections. Here are some pics.Left to right - normal plowing position, backdragging with weight of plow blade on the edge, scraping with the weight of the tractor on the edge, front view and rear view.

Attachments

Jblac197

Equipment
Aug 21, 2018
Hibbing
Hey thanks for all the pics and info. I plan to do a similar build if I ever find a decent deal on an old truck plow. It probably won't look as pretty as yours though, that's a fine job whoever did the fab work. Are your tires loaded? I see you run a 3 point blower on the back also which is what I use right now
Happy to provide any details. Here's a brief thread on the build:

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/407444-ssqa-snow-plow.html

I used an 8' Fisher blade. Power angle is via the factory front third function connections. Here are some pics.Left to right - normal plowing position, backdragging with weight of plow blade on the edge, scraping with the weight of the tractor on the edge, front view and rear view.

chim

Equipment
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
........................Are your tires loaded? I see you run a 3 point blower on the back also which is what I use right now

The rear tires are filled with windshield washer fluid, and I grooved all four. On a couple recent small snows I was able to do a good bit of plowing in our church parking lots in 2WD.

As I mentioned, the blower wasn't used this year and might be part of the package when I sell the L3200. It works well for driveways, but the plow makes short work of them too. Where the plow really shines is on the parking lots.

(And no, my blade isn't set that high. When parked with the hydraulic pressure released it rocks back on the skid shoes)

Attachments

Jblac197

Equipment
Aug 21, 2018
Hibbing
My solution to this problem is pretty low-tech. I wear ski goggles in case I mess up, but the real key is be very aware of the wind direction and any swirling from it. I let the wind direction determine where I start working on my 400' driveway, being certain to always work downwind. That means that I may start at one end one day and the other end the next day. Kind of a pain, but it sure saves me ending up looking like a snowman!!
Hahaha thanks for the reply. Yes it didn't take me long to figure out the wind plays a very important role in using the blower. I've been heavily powdered a few times now.