3 Point quick hitch issues

Dae06

May 10, 2018
Minnesota
Is it just me or do all the videos I watch about quick hitches edit out the little issues that I constantly have? Don't get me wrong, I think they are helpful, but they do take a little work as well.

I always find myself needing to adjust the top link length to hook up an attachment (here is why I really want to get a Hydraulic top link). Hooking up for me is the easiest. But then there's the unhooking. You would think the attachment would fall right off, but not in my case. I need to get off of the tractor adjust the top link, and even though it looks like it should come right off, somehow its stuck on there. I lower the 3-point with force and still, nothing, can't get it off. I have 2 quick hitches and they both have the same issues. Is it me or is this common for you guys as well?

Thanks

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
My box blade will stick on once in a while, pulling forward and backing just a little breaks the top hook loose and the QH comes free from the box blade.

So thankfully, I haven't had the issue you have had (or at least to the level you have it).

wgator

Equipment
L4701HST, FEL and other stuff.
Jul 28, 2018
NC
When I take my box blade off with mine I have red bricks on ground I set the front sides of BB on, unlatch, drop TPH and drive off. Hookup is just the opposite with no top link adjustment necessary.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I made a cradle special for the box blade and another for the subsoiler. The carry-all I drop on a pallet.
They all require a little different top link length. So changing between implements does take a little tinkering, but it’s still much easier than not having a QH....

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
All my 3pt implements ahve their own top linl BOLTED to the implement, Saves a lot of grief,as I've adapted them to run on my Snap-Coupler A-C tractors. From all the comments and complaints here I don't see 'quick-hitches' living up to their name !

Dae06

May 10, 2018
Minnesota
Thanks guys. It’s good to know it not just me. A QH is still better than not having one, but you always see these perfect hook ups and unhooking. Either they have it set perfect and hook up and unhook without using the implement or the video is edited. You can’t use an implement like a box blade properly without adjustIng the top like from time to time.

jimr63

Equipment
M5-091HDC, L47TLB, L4701F, ZD1211-72, GR2120-54, RTV-X1140
Jun 24, 2015
SOMD
Sounds normal
Agree, I always have to move my hyd top link in/out to get any of my implements on/off. Not to mention that the top link lever is in my hand most of the time when using a box blade or grader blade. Nothing like being able to adjust the amount of bite while you're moving.

Last edited:

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
I have done away with the hook completely for the very reasons you state. Also on my bush hog and bush hog finish mower my top attachment never stayed in the hook as it needs to pivot up and down and when the back of the mower was pushed up the top attachment would pop out of the hook.

For those reasons I went with the adapter on the top link. If I have to get off to adjust the hook or the top link anyway whats a extra second to hook up the adapter and now it stays on. That being said I would not ever get rid of the QH as I do like it.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
I have had my harrow and box blade stick sometimes, usually because once the implenent hits the ground it leans one way or the other causing it to wedge in such away that the quick hitch cant just drop away. There is still pressure being put on the quick hitch somewhere. I find what works is to drop the implenent so its sitting on the gorund, then tap reverse on the treddle peddle a couple times where it kinda jossles the trator back into the implement a little in quick succession. This almost always jars the quick witch loose and it will drop. You can also tap forward / reverse in quick sucession 2 or 3 times if the other doesnt work. After doing it enough you kinda get the hang of it. My box blade Also had really tight clearances on my 2 lower hooks on the quick hitch that often made it hard to put on and take off - I took my angle grinder and shaved some of the metal back on the box blade so the hooks have plenty of room

Reactions: 1 user

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
The above problems are the reasons that I ditched my QH and installed a PAT's on both tractors. Snap the lift arms on and when I get off to lock them, I adjust and connect the top link. Easy and simple for me.

Fladogman

Feb 1, 2020
Crawfordville Fl
I went the hydraulic top link route, it fixed 99% of my issues. It makes the QH work great. If you have rear remotes it's the way to go

Reactions: 1 users

Dae06

May 10, 2018
Minnesota
I went the hydraulic top link route, it fixed 99% of my issues. It makes the QH work great. If you have rear remotes it's the way to go
i do not have rear remotes, but do have the 3rd function. I could do the “poor mans” remote by running hydraulic hoses to the rear.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I have a top and tilt on my machine with the LP QH. I never leave the seat. I have 9 attachments that are all QH compatible (I modified a few to make them compatible).

It doesn't matter which one I am dropping or which one I am picking up, Unless it needs PTO I never leave the seat. Another beauty of the T&T is the attachment really doesn't need to be on flat/level ground, you can pick them from a lot of different angles.

top-tilt-valve.jpg

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Thanks guys. It’s good to know it not just me. A QH is still better than not having one, but you always see these perfect hook ups and unhooking. Either they have it set perfect and hook up and unhook without using the implement or the video is edited. You can’t use an implement like a box blade properly without adjustIng the top like from time to time.
I only use the QH on about half my implements due to different "standard" pin locations. I always have to use the top link pin as none of my attachments allow me to use a hook with any ease. The hydraulic top link is nice to have but is a PITA with a cab when I have to fine tune positions and I'm off the tractor.

Dae06

May 10, 2018
Minnesota
I only use the QH on about half my implements due to different "standard" pin locations. I always have to use the top link pin as none of my attachments allow me to use a hook with any ease. The hydraulic top link is nice to have but is a PITA with a cab when I have to fine tune positions and I'm off the tractor.
I never thought of that. I have a cab as well.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
... The hydraulic top link is nice to have but is a PITA with a cab when I have to fine tune positions and I'm off the tractor.
To me that seems odd as I never need to adjust it when I am off the machine.

IMO the ease of "picking" 3pt attachments is only a single reason to have a top link. The biggest benefit I get from it is being able to change that angle on-the-fly. Doesn't matter if I am raking over a crest or into a valley, rototilling up or down, box blading etc. You can do a much better job if you can change that angle on the fly.

Another big benefit is the ability to maximize lift when loading/unloading or when you need some quick clearance. Adding the tilt cylinder is the icing on the cake for a quality job.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
To me that seems odd as I never need to adjust it when I am off the machine.

IMO the ease of "picking" 3pt attachments is only a single reason to have a top link. The biggest benefit I get from it is being able to change that angle on-the-fly. Doesn't matter if I am raking over a crest or into a valley, rototilling up or down, box blading etc. You can do a much better job if you can change that angle on the fly.

Another big benefit is the ability to maximize lift when loading/unloading or when you need some quick clearance. Adding the tilt cylinder is the icing on the cake for a quality job.
On some of my attachments ie. blade the pins aren't aligned vertically when the attachment is sitting unconnected on the ground. I have to fully retract the top link, back in to hook the lower pins, then raise the implement so the top pin aligns vertically.

I wish I could use the top link hook. I want something easy like the SSQA, but every attachment manufacture (at least for all my implements) seems to use different measurements.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
On some of my attachments ie. blade the pins aren't aligned vertically when the attachment is sitting unconnected on the ground. I have to fully retract the top link, back in to hook the lower pins, then raise the implement so the top pin aligns vertically.

I wish I could use the top link hook. I want something easy like the SSQA, but every attachment manufacture (at least for all my implements) seems to use different measurements.
I had to modify a few of mine. I would guess at about an hour each. Well worth the time to me, I never leave the seat now. None of the newer attachments need mods.