3 point log splitter

JVthePT

Equipment
Kubota B2601, LA435, BB1254, AT2560, Worksaver SC Grapple
Aug 5, 2022
Blakesburg, Iowa
I have a 3 pt log splitter that I would like to use on my B2601.
I previously used this on my Massey GC2300 - I had the dealer place a coupling in a hydraulic line they routed to just behind the seat.
I could uncouple, hook up the log splitter and all was well.
Don't know what would be involved or how spendy it would be to modify the B2601 to accommodate the splitter.
Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
first, you'll need to know what PSI and GPM the tractor hydraulics are.
From Kubota Canada, GPM is 8, so that's good BUT NO posting as to the PSI ( pressure) ! I will NOT assume 'it's OK for log splitter use' as not all tractors are the same.

2nd, couplings... maybe see what a 1 or 2 'rear remote' kit will cost. While more than a 'build-your-own' bodge, it'd install and work, first time.

I gave up splittin wood long ago, though the 6' round maple cross the street had me thinking....

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
A set of rear remotes would be the place to start. Pictures of the splitter hoses and valve would help also.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I have a 3 pt log splitter that I would like to use on my B2601.
I previously used this on my Massey GC2300 - I had the dealer place a coupling in a hydraulic line they routed to just behind the seat.
I could uncouple, hook up the log splitter and all was well.
Don't know what would be involved or how spendy it would be to modify the B2601 to accommodate the splitter.
Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
You simply need to reroute the power beyond coming off the loader valve to the rear and back again to the hydraulic cover. Assuming you do not have factory remotes its pretty simple:
  1. Remove the power beyond pipe number 90 in this diagram
  2. Using a banjo to male JIC fitting and bolt number 100 connect a hose to the port on the loader valve and run it to a femakle quick coupler on the rear. This is pressure supply out for the splitter.
  3. Using another banjo fitting and bolt number 130 connect a hose to the port on the hydraulic cover and run it to a male quick coupler on the rear. This is pressure return from the log splitter.
  4. I am not positive but I think those two banjo joints are different sizes so remove and meassure them both to determine what size adapters to buy.
!! WARNING !!

• To connect or disconnect the couplers you MUST turn the engine off.
  • When the log splitter or another implement is not connected you MUST loop the male and female quick connects together.

Simple as that. If you wanted to get fancy you could add a 3 way selector valve to the lines going to the rear that would allow you to connect and disconnect without shutting off the engine and eliminate the need for looping the lines together when the outlets are not in use. That is what I did for the log splitter outlets on my L3901 and it works beautifully.

Dan

1660134150519.png

Last edited:

JVthePT

Equipment
Aug 5, 2022
Blakesburg, Iowa
You simply need to reroute the power beyond coming off the loader valve to the rear and back again to the hydraulic cover. Assuming you do not have factory remotes its pretty simple:
  1. Remove the power beyond pipe number 90 in this diagram
  2. Using a banjo to male JIC fitting and bolt number 100 connect a hose to the port on the loader valve and run it to a femakle quick coupler on the rear. This is pressure supply out for the splitter.
  3. Using another banjo fitting and bolt number 130 connect a hose to the port on the hydraulic cover and run it to a male quick coupler on the rear. This is pressure return from the log splitter.
  4. I am not positive but I think those two banjo joints are different sizes so remove and meassure them both to determine what size adapters to buy.
!! WARNING !!

• To connect or disconnect the couplers you MUST turn the engine off.
  • When the log splitter or another implement is not connected you MUST loop the male and female quick connects together.

Simple as that. If you wanted to get fancy you could add a 3 way selector valve to the lines going to the rear that would allow you to connect and disconnect without shutting off the engine and eliminate the need for looping the lines together when the outlets are not in use. That is what I did for the log splitter outlets on my L3901 and it works beautifully.

Dan

View attachment 85081
Wow, this is super helpful, Dan - thank you!

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Wow, this is super helpful, Dan - thank you!
Just FYI here is the push-pull selector valve I used for the outlets on my tractor. Its just one hose in and two out.

• When you push down (no implement connected) input flow goes out to the tee and back to 3pt.
  • When you pull up (implement connected) input flow goes out to top outlet, through the implement valve, and back to the 3pt tee via the bottom outlet.
Easy-peezy.

Dan

20210926_125145.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

JVthePT

Equipment
Aug 5, 2022
Blakesburg, Iowa
Just FYI here is the push-pull selector valve I used for the outlets on my tractor. Its just one hose in and two out.

• When you push down (no implement connected) input flow goes out to the tee and back to 3pt.
  • When you pull up (implement connected) input flow goes out to top outlet, through the implement valve, and back to the 3pt tee via the bottom outlet.
Easy-peezy.

Dan

View attachment 85124
That looks slick. Where could I acquire one of those push/pull selectors? How about that back plate for the quick connections?

JasonW

Jan 29, 2015
Al
Depends on your log splitter. The model I have has a control valve on it. I originally wanted rear remotes on my L3800 to run the splitter, talked with my dealer about it when I was getting a 3rd function installed. They routed me a set of hose from I believe the power beyond to the rear of the tractor with a male and female end that make up the loop.

When I want to use the splitter I shut the tractor down disconnect the loop and hookup the feed and return hoses to the splitter. And operate the splitter. The only thing is the hoses have to be connected back to each other, they cannot be left disconnected with the tractor running.
They didn’t charge me anything extra to add this while they installed the 3rd function. They saved me almost 1k if I can remember by not doing a rear remote. Didn’t have any use for a rear remote at the time or even now on that tractor.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
That looks slick. Where could I acquire one of those push/pull selectors? How about that back plate for the quick connections?
I made the rear outlet mounting panel (better picture below) and its custom to the L01s. There is not much to them - just some holes for the sleeves on the couplers which are retained using snap rings. That is standard panel mount setup that gives you easy one hand push/pull connection of the implement hoses. Its my prefered way of mounting outlets. Simple enough to make a two-holer for log splitter outlets using a hole saw and some 1/8" thick sheet steel. Just need to find a place on the rear to bolt or weld the plate on.

The selector valve I used is a Prince SS-1A1D that I purchased from Surplus Center. I have used quite a few of them on the hydraulic kits I sell. You could mount it to the rear of the tractor oand put the quick connects right on it if you wanted. You would not have push/pull hose connection but its simple and convenient to operate while standing next to the log splitter. As you can see in my mounting panel picture I originally had mine mounted on the right side next to the bank of outlets but the plumbing runs were so short the hoses didn't have enough flex so I decided to move it to the fender.

Dan

20210922_083608.jpg

20211023_085957.jpg

Last edited:

Vladhed

Equipment
B2401DT, old rear blade, RCR1248 rotary cutter, MK Martin SB54 snow blower
Jul 17, 2021
Perth, ON
I was thinking along the same lines for my B2401. I only have occasional use for a splitter (Elm and big knotty pieces) and was thinking of making up some hoses to connect the cylinder of a broken gas splitter (the engine is toast, hydraulics are fine) to the LA435 quick-connects. I'd position the splitter on the right side of the engine and move the splitter back-forth with the loader up-down control. Would that work?

Anyone know off-hand what size quick-connects the LA435 uses?

Should I replace the hydraulic fluid in the cylinder with UDT2?

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I was thinking along the same lines for my B2401. I only have occasional use for a splitter (Elm and big knotty pieces) and was thinking of making up some hoses to connect the cylinder of a broken gas splitter (the engine is toast, hydraulics are fine) to the LA435 quick-connects. I'd position the splitter on the right side of the engine and move the splitter back-forth with the loader up-down control. Would that work?

Anyone know off-hand what size quick-connects the LA435 uses?

Should I replace the hydraulic fluid in the cylinder with UDT2?
Just put a quick connect on the supply side of the loader valve. You can hook the splitter up to that point and use the log splitter valve.

Dan