2nd Life; Harley Floorboard inserts

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Replaced my floorboard inserts on the ol' Road King on Friday and other than the baffles/mounts being all rotted out, the boards were in really good shape;
too good to toss, so today I put them in one of my vices and banged them into 2 x 90degree shapes with a BFH. I had no idea boards even had inserts, with some kind of steel inside all this thick rubber. (always learning !) <mine have been compressed flat right into the board since I bought the bike and this is my first Harley or big bike of any kind>

Now, when I go to hold stuff in my vice that I don't want marred up, I can use these board inserts to do that with.

I am forever using a rag or pc of old wood or whatever is close by, most of which is not exactly right for the job.

I don't really know if these will fit the bill, but thought I'd give it a little try before tossing them out.

p.s.- I may end up cutting them in half and/or flush with the jaws of the vice. This is just a proof of concept.

Attachments

Reactions: 3 users

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Did something sort of similar with aluminum angle and some old conveyor belt quite a few years ago. Worked quite well and it appears your repurposing will as well.

I made one change to mine not long after I first made them. They kind of sliding/falling out of place when there wasn’t pressure on them. I was rifling through a drawer of stuff and ran across some self adhesive strip magnets. Stuck them on the removable soft jaws to keep them tight on the vice jaws yet still easily removable.

Reactions: 1 user

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Did something sort of similar with aluminum angle and some old conveyor belt quite a few years ago. Worked quite well and it appears your repurposing will as well.

I made one change to mine not long after I first made them. They kind of sliding/falling out of place when there wasn’t pressure on them. I was rifling through a drawer of stuff and ran across some self adhesive strip magnets. Stuck them on the removable soft jaws to keep them tight on the vice jaws yet still easily removable.
Oooh! Magnets. I hadn't thought of that.

Cool idea - thanks NCL

Reactions: 1 user