2650 Overheated

LONGBOW42

Equipment
B2650, loader, mowing, seeding, rake, post hole digger, rear blade
May 19, 2020
Chadds Ford, Pa
Hello,
It was another hot one here today. While doing some work, my temp light went on. I immediately took it to my garage and when I shut it off, there was what looked like anti-freeze coming out of a tube pointing down at bottom of engine. Also a hissing sound. Did something blow or is this normal when an engine over heats? Thank you!

6feettogo

Equipment
B2650
Apr 22, 2020
Newman Lake, Wa
Sounds like it over heated and the steam was coming out of the overflow container. When it cools down I would open up the radiator cap and check the fluid. Also check the screen that sits in front of the radiator for blockage. You may also will want to check the radiator and make sure it is not plugged. Be careful when opening up the radiator cap.

Reactions: 1 users

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
In addition to all the above be sure your fanbelt is tight and your fan isn't missing blades. Of course you should check the coolant level when the machine cools off but don't overfill it. If you add too much fluid it will expand when heated and overflow.

Orangeglow

Equipment
2015 BX2370
Jun 19, 2014
Prescott, Ontario
How far did you drive your tractor to get to your garage after the temperature light went on ? Hopefully you didn,t warp the head. Why didn,t you shut it off as soon as you noticed the high temperature light come on, to possibly prevent further damage ?

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
So, what exactly were you doing? Mowing maybe? I bet the rad is clogged with junk or the fan belt is loose or both. if you have the removeable screens like most Kubota's do, they stop some junk but you still need to clean the rad fins from the fan side outward regularly.

I use compressed air and then a hose nozzle to rinse the crud out.

You can get a rad cleaner tool on Amazon, D2Cat has one. Cannot remember the name of it however. Uses water from your hose. Radiator Genie maybe?

You need to be very careful about overheating a Kubota engine. They don't like to be too hot. Tend to pop head gaskets and crack heads.

Reactions: 1 user

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
How far did you drive your tractor to get to your garage after the temperature light went on ? Hopefully you didn,t warp the head. Why didn,t you shut it off as soon as you noticed the high temperature light come on, to possibly prevent further damage ?
Better yet, idle it with no load on the motor. Even with a blocked up rad, idling it will cool it down whereas shutting it off overheated can cause block or head issues (hot spots).

Reactions: 2 users

Palmettokat

Equipment
M6800, B2710, L6060, Volvo 5 ton excavator and implements.
Apr 21, 2020
South Carolina
Better yet, idle it with no load on the motor. Even with a blocked up rad, idling it will cool it down whereas shutting it off overheated can cause block or head issues (hot spots).
Also do not ever spray one with water to cool it. Leaf blower should be safe but idling should be enough unless you have major issue like no coolant. My turbo says to allow it to idle when hot before cutting it off. Think that is standard practice with any really hot engine, just like allowing one to warm up some in cold temps before loading it.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
SOP for any motor with a hairdryer. You need to allow the ceramic bearings on the hot side of the turbo to cool down. In fact new big trucks (not sure about tractors), when you turn the key off, will continue to run for a bit, just to do that.

I always idle mine for about a minute after working them.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
The B2650 has a coolant reservoir that operates like your car's cooling system. Keep the reservoir filled to between max and min. If overheated the reservoir has an overflow to release the steam pressure.

If the rad cap is off and rad needs filling, top it up with engine cool, and squeeze the rad hoses as you add 50/50 compatible antifreeze to purge as much air from them as possible and fill to top of filler opening. Install cap. Reservoir should be near the low mark to start. Start and warm engine. Res level should rise a bit as heating A/F expands. Let cool again then add if needed to reservoir.

Definitely clean the rad pre-screen, and also blow clean out the rad from inside the engine compartment outwards with compressed air. Check the belt. Maybe drain all the antifreeze and fill with new antifreeze solution If it boiled much off.

BTW did you notice the level on the temperature gauge when the temp light went off? Mine's never gone over 3 bars.

LONGBOW42

Equipment
B2650, loader, mowing, seeding, rake, post hole digger, rear blade
May 19, 2020
Chadds Ford, Pa
The B2650 has a coolant reservoir that operates like your car's cooling system. Keep the reservoir filled to between max and min. If overheated the reservoir has an overflow to release the steam pressure.

If the rad cap is off and rad needs filling, top it up with engine cool, and squeeze the rad hoses as you add 50/50 compatible antifreeze to purge as much air from them as possible and fill to top of filler opening. Install cap. Reservoir should be near the low mark to start. Start and warm engine. Res level should rise a bit as heating A/F expands. Let cool again then add if needed to reservoir.

Definitely clean the rad pre-screen, and also blow clean out the rad from inside the engine compartment outwards with compressed air. Check the belt. Maybe drain all the antifreeze and fill with new antifreeze solution If it boiled much off.

BTW did you notice the level on the temperature gauge when the temp light went off? Mine's never gone over 3 bars.
Thank you everyone for your assistance. The screens were covered with dust and grasses, so I used a leaf blower to clean everything well and also added the appropriate coolant as it was well below the min line in the reserve. Started it up and ran it for 5-10 mins. All seems good, so now I learned to keep and eye on filters, etc. Thank you! A
Also, belt is tight. It only has 28 hours on it. I fought it with 24 hours.

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
Seriously, you may have gotten lucky... time will tell. Many cylinder heads have been cracked due to overheating. It's an awfully new machine to have that happen. You really need to be aware of that temperature gauge.

Last edited:

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
yeah you don't want to just shut down an overheated diesel. Idle it down with no load so it can kinda cool off before you shut it down.

Any engine when shut down will get hotter after it stops running. It's because coolant-whether it's liquid or air-stops flowing. Kubota recommends on air cooled engines to just shut the key off, wide open. The thought process is that when you cut the fuel and spark, air will continue to be forced over the engine as it's speed is decelerating; also some air will be ingested and then expelled from the cylinders, also aiding in cooling. Liquid cooled engines, idle it down for a minute before cutting it off. It's still gonna increase in temperature after it's off, but at least it wont' be going from 200 degrees to 235, if you let it idle down a minute first, a lot of times the coolant temp will drop below the thermostat rating; 180; and then when off, it'll usually stay under 210.

you don't want to know what the temps are on air cooled stuff. They get HOT. 350 is not unheard of, measured at the cylinder head, under a load.