2021 l2501 w bh77 trade in?

leetdog

Equipment
l2501 bh77
Oct 25, 2021
NE
Q2 21 I purchased an l2501 and bh77 , have 30 hours on machine.

Used it for a backyard renovation.

machine is amazing, but im thinking I rather have a cab. I guess only $ feasible option is a lx, unless if I forego the backhoe, since those projects are now few and far inbetween.

Im comfortable with keeping it, but is now a good time to trade in? (or sell outright)

what would I expect to get offered for a trade in?

Or would this be like trading in a vehicle after you drove it off the lot!

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
At the dealer it will be like driving a car off the lot. However, there are lots of people who can’t get tractors, so I guess I’d try to sell on my own. You have one disadvantage compared to dealers in that you can’t sell a new tractor at 0% interest, but that only affects those who want a loan.

I’d probably float the deal with a dealer or two. If you are in a Sales Tax state, you are only taxed on the difference on a trade in. So, trade in could be a wash compared to selling outright.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
I think you should do quite good. For one Kubota's hold high resale value, you would likely only lose what you paid in sales tax if that at 30 hours. Plus used stuff is selling way above normal right now.

So as long as your dealer has or can get what you want, I think you will do well.

nbking

Equipment
L2501HST 4X4, Rtv-x900
Jul 8, 2018
Sonora, CA
I second ItBmine, you'll do fine for the trade but finding the new one could, be difficult

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
If you can buy the new one first, and get it actually delivered, then sell your old one (and can afford to bridge that gap), you'll do well. When you sell your old one you'll get most of what you paid back, because someone will want one in a hurry and that machine is so close to new they'll pay what they'd pay for new (but get it on the day they give you the money).

As long as you don't wait too long. :) If you can go without a tractor for a while, then sell first and go without while you wait for delivery. I feel like exactly right now is about the right time to sell, in a month or two people will be able to get new tractors again.

Reactions: 1 user

nota4re

Premium Member

Equipment
Case 580M Turbo; Kioti DK4210SE-CH; Kubota L2501 (Traded-in)
Aug 16, 2019
Newhall, CA
I was in a similar situation. I had my L2501 as my first small tractor but only kept it a year and about 60 hours before deciding I wanted something a little larger and with a cab. On trade, I got about 95% of what I had originally paid. Kubotas hold their value VERY well and I would think that especially in these times you'll do very well. The trick will be finding what you want to trade-up to at a reasonable price!

Reactions: 1 user

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
you are competing against dealers financing. I recently sold a 9 month old B2601, I was offered roughly 50% of its purchase price as a trade in value (3 dealers). I was able to sell it privately and 'lost' about 30%.

just here to say it's not all pixies and fairy tales out there

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

leetdog

Equipment
l2501 bh77
Oct 25, 2021
NE
Thank you all for the inputs. I spoke to the dealer too, sounds like best path is to keep it, or sell it privately. tough part for me is the lx2160 with a cab and a backhoe seems too long/weird for me. But im sure its great.

maybe Im thinking a b26 / L47, custom enclosure…

greg86z28

Equipment
B2601
May 17, 2020
South Central Wisconsin
Another option for down the road maybe?

I'd want to see one in person before committing to spend that much though. I've heard Curtis makes really high quality products (and possibly even supplies the "factory" cab for the BX series).